Dave Grohl: I want to play drums with AC/DC

Sosso

Foo Fighters leader Dave Grohl says his dream is to one day play drums with AC/DC.

The musician was speaking with Forbesabout voting in today’s midterm elections in the US when he was asked who he’d love to play drums with if he could.

Grohl responds: “AC/DC. That's my last one, that's it. Phil Rudd is back though. If you dive back into their back catalogue, that early shit, there was a little bit more dynamic, then they settled into the groove. 

“That's the thing. And it's because of Phil Rudd. It's AC/DC, but that guy holds the key.”

Will Grohl get his chance behind the kit? It seems unlikely, given that Rudd was photographed earlier this year at Vancouver’s Warehouse Studios – the location where AC/DC have recorded their last three albums.

While there’s been no official word from the camp regarding their current lineup of plans going forward, drummer Chris Slade – who joined the band on their Rock Or Bust world tour after Rudd was sacked in 2016 – gave his take on the rumours swirling around AC/DC earlier this week.

https://www.loudersound.com/news/dave-grohl-i-want-to-play-drums-with-acdc

• Like 1

Personally I think he's a tad over rated as a drummer. There's definitely things he does well and he uses them to good effect. I'd fear that an AC/DC slot would demonstrate his lack of groove and pocket just like his slot with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers did:smiley-confused2:

• Like 1

On 10/11/2018 at 7:42 AM, Legendador said:

That would be a hell of a super group!

Axl on vocals, Grohl on drums, Angus on guitar, maybe R. Waters on bass.

Could you imagine that?

Thought roger waters has to much of an ego to be in a band where other people are higher up the food chain, in terms of popularity then him.

Says about Slade he only stepped in cos Rudd totally fucked it him self IF he had NOT got in too legal problems HE would have 100% been on the RoB full tour.

DG also confirmed Rudds back in the band there is people well in the know & they saying its only a matter of time before we all know whats what its not been said in them exact words but you get the drift

On 12/11/2018 at 7:50 AM, Gavin82 said:

Says about Slade he only stepped in cos Rudd totally fucked it him self IF he had NOT got in too legal problems HE would have 100% been on the RoB full tour.

DG also confirmed Rudds back in the band there is people well in the know & they saying its only a matter of time before we all know whats what its not been said in them exact words but you get the drift

Probably think if rudd fucks up thats it, no second chance and there will go a classy way to end his time in whatever acdc lineup. Angus wont hesitate to call slade quickly.

Edited by Sydney Fan

On 09/11/2018 at 5:43 PM, soon said:

Personally I think he's a tad over rated as a drummer. There's definitely things he does well and he uses them to good effect. I'd fear that an AC/DC slot would demonstrate his lack of groove and pocket just like his slot with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers did:smiley-confused2:

I don't think he is really considered a 'great' drummer in that he's especially prodigious, he just does what he does well...and hits hard.

2 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I don't think he is really considered a 'great' drummer in that he's especially prodigious, he just does what he does well...and hits hard.

IRL I know people who worship his drumming. Him, Travis Baker and some others all play with exaggerated movements (read: poor technique) and hit hard, which to some equals drummer greatness.

Like I said in my post, I think hes good at what he does. But groove is not how he applies himself to the skins.

18 minutes ago, soon said:

IRL I know people who worship his drumming. Him, Travis Baker and some others all play with exaggerated movements (read: poor technique) and hit hard, which to some equals drummer greatness.

Like I said in my post, I think hes good at what he does. But groove is not how he applies himself to the skins.

Yeah, he don't really swing, does he? 

33 minutes ago, soon said:

No, not really his thing I guess? I dont think it would hurt though. Although this one track came to mind where there is maybe a hint of that... that

LXHB8pi.gif

Its worth bearing in mind I suppose that he is a punk drummer and, as far as the attendant archetypes go, punk does not groove, though no one told the boys in PiL...or James Chance & The Contortions...or The Clash.  Topper Headon, now there's a fuckin' drummer.

A lot of people consider Grohl the best drummer in rock. He's a good drummer and all, maybe even better than your average drummer out there, but I think a lot of people say this because they don't know what they're talking about and because Grohl is a likeable guy who played in Nirvana.

Edited by EvanG
  • Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 10:39 AM, Len Cnut said:

Its worth bearing in mind I suppose that he is a punk drummer and, as far as the attendant archetypes go, punk does not groove, though no one told the boys in PiL...or James Chance & The Contortions...or The Clash.  Topper Headon, now there's a fuckin' drummer.

That's true, well said.

Fuck yeah, Topper