"SLASH Guitar Fail?" - Discuss.

Azifwekare

52 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Everything Slash does, he does better than Ashba. 

My 12 year old son plays guitar 100 times better than Ashba and he's never touched a guitar. 

It makes me ask the question what did axl see in ashba for him to join guns?. I guess axl didnt set the bar high after a certain length of time of having top players join.

It was basically the same as what happened to Ashba at Golden Gods, but in this case Slash handled it much better.

25 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

It makes me ask the question what did axl see in ashba for him to join guns?. I guess axl didnt set the bar high after a certain length of time of having top players join.

Axl was going through his edgy emo phase. Hopefully he's grown out of it now. 

I agree it's not his best moment, but not his worst either. The Velevt Revolver induction of Van Halen into the R&R HOF was pretty awful. I remember they played Ain't talkin about love and Runaround, and one of those songs has "disappeared"from YT, I can't recall which. 

Slash can't pull off VH or Randy Rhoades type of guitar playing very well, it's just not his thing. Although I wouldn't blame Slash for either of these performances, he couldn't save them either.

2 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Marketing. 

Axl saw being able to make money from a well placed Monster can on the piano during November Rain. 

That's exactly what Axl saw in Ashba. 

11 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Marketing. 

Axl saw being able to make money from a well placed Monster can on the piano during November Rain. 

That's exactly what Axl saw in Ashba. 

If I remember correctly, Ashba said that Axl "discovered' him sometime in the early 2000's when he was playing in a band called Beautiful Creatures. 

Apparently, either the road manager or someone else on the GN'R payroll was tasked with keeping an eye out for potential opening acts for Guns. Beautiful Creatures was a post-grunge sleaze band with a little bit of influence from GN'R so it made sense that they'd want them on a couple of shows to open. It never happened, to my knowledge, because the band was kind of a one-off, but somebody kept tabs on DJ anyway.

They did the same thing with Hinder, a band that was a one hit wonder, over a decade ago. They saw enough "old school GN'R" in the band and their popularity rising and tried to get them on tour. Hinder was stupid enough to reject it and tell Axl his band was phony-baloney. Then they discovered they were a one-hit wonder and promptly returned to the shadows,

4 minutes ago, appetite4illusions said:

If I remember correctly, Ashba said that Axl "discovered' him sometime in the early 2000's when he was playing in a band called Beautiful Creatures. 

Apparently, either the road manager or someone else on the GN'R payroll was tasked with keeping an eye out for potential opening acts for Guns. Beautiful Creatures was a post-grunge sleaze band with a little bit of influence from GN'R so it made sense that they'd want them on a couple of shows to open. It never happened, to my knowledge, because the band was kind of a one-off, but somebody kept tabs on DJ anyway.

They did the same thing with Hinder, a band that was a one hit wonder, over a decade ago. They saw enough "old school GN'R" in the band and their popularity rising and tried to get them on tour. Hinder was stupid enough to reject it and tell Axl his band was phony-baloney. Then they discovered they were a one-hit wonder and promptly returned to the shadows,

Oh, I know all of that. No matter the back story, the main thing Ashba ended up contributing to GNR was marketing though. Those 2009 - 2014 shows could never have happened without all the marketing dollars provided by Monster and so on. 

23 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Oh, I know all of that. No matter the back story, the main thing Ashba ended up contributing to GNR was marketing though. Those 2009 - 2014 shows could never have happened without all the marketing dollars provided by Monster and so on. 

Wonder if axl may have listened to sixxam (nikki sixxs other band)ashba was apart of that sure they put something out before 09....just guessin. Guns goes emo.

Edited by Sydney Fan

Guitar was out of tune and Slash shredded a bit mindlessly. That combination does lead to a less than excellent guitar solo. He should have spent the time to learn Randy's properly.

That being said, I don't think a 9 minute video is justified. I skimmed through it and didn't really listen to the commentary, but I can't imagine this YouTube guy has valid criticism past the two things I mentioned.

13 minutes ago, OmarBradley said:

I skimmed through it and didn't really listen to the commentary, but I can't imagine this YouTube guy has valid criticism past the two things I mentioned.

You should've because he's not criticising Slash at all. He explained why this solo was so bad and showed at the end how this solo would sound (literally, he learned it from the video) if guitar was in tune. 

Edited by Ralphelmo
  • Like 2

In my opinion vids like this are completely pointless. Guitar was a little out of tune and Slash just played a solo close enough to the original. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I hate this putting every single note under a microscope approach, this is so not Rock n Roll. Stay in your basement dude, you're annoying and not funny.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

In my opinion vids like this are completely pointless. Guitar was a little out of tune and Slash just played a solo close enough to the original. Nothing out of the ordinary here. I hate this putting every single note under a microscope approach, this is so not Rock n Roll. Stay in your basement dude, you're annoying and not funny.

Watch the vid dude... 

*PEOPLE* bashing Stevie, because they haven't watched the video and they assume Stevie is bashing Slash XD

Edited by Ralphelmo

FWIW from a guitarist who lives and breathes Guns/Ozzy/Zeppelin: Slash isn't a tapping guitar player. He pretty much never went there. He is doing the solo in his style. It would have sounded excellent if his guitar hadn't been 1/4 step out of tune. Also, that Youtube reviewer is disgusting. Can't.Watch.