Preferred Democracy

With all the errands/lineups/leaks/changes that took place during the time period before Chinese what would be your personal choice to base the album around?

I'm a giant buckethead fan and I also like Robin Finck. I also enjoy Brain's drumming. So personally the 2001 lineup for Chinese would have been perfect. Instead the work of those players get infected with nonsense from the other 2/3 guitarist we didn't need.

• Like 1

I'm glad we got the album as it was in 2008, but I would have loved the Beavan album to have been released 2001 before Ezrin came in and derailed the project, with an RTB album with Bucket and Beltrami's contributions as a follow up in 03/04.

And who knows, we might have even gotten another around 08-11 with Bumble and Ashba.

I would take a trilogy over a single disc comp version anyday.

Edited by Azifwekare

All the josh freese and billy howerdell material please.  thank you axl for turning me on to so many awesome musicians including brain, bucket, robin, paul, and richard, and frank.

i wanna hear axl cover a tool and apc tune for some reason.  Really like to hear if axl and maynard ever shared musical collaboration of any sort or even a funny story.

• Like 1

Yeah I'd say the 2002 version but I also really liked Ron and his contributions and have zero issue with Frank. Despite that, all versions of the Chinese era band had interesting recordings and performances.

Edited by Stro

The 2002-2006 version(s) are the most interesting, IMO.

Whenever I listen to the album in a playlist, this is usually how I listen to it:

1. Chinese Democracy (2007 leak)
2. IRS (2006 leak #2)
3. Better (album version)
4. Catcher In The Rye (album version)
5. Oh My God (End of Days version)
6. If The World (album version)
7. Madagascar (2007 leak, or evader's 'Danube' remix)
8. The Blues (2007 leak)
9. Going Down (2013 remaster)
10. There Was A Time (2008 leak)
11. Shackler's Revenge (album version)
12. Sorry (album version)
13. This I Love (No Lead Guitar version)
14. Prostitute (album version)

• Like 2

For the album I'd prefer the 2002 line up but then touring the album I prefer the 2006 line up.

Had they released the album in late 2005 with the 2002 line up playing all the parts and then having the 2006 line up tour the album from 2006-2008 I think that would have been better for the band, the fans and the public image of GN'R!

If this had happened I'm sure that we would've seen a 2nd CD era album by the early '10s.

Edited by youngswedishvinyl
  • GNFNR 1

15 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

The 2002-2006 version(s) are the most interesting, IMO.

Whenever I listen to the album in a playlist, this is usually how I listen to it:

1. Chinese Democracy (2007 leak)
2. IRS (2006 leak #2)
3. Better (album version)
4. Catcher In The Rye (album version)
5. Oh My God (End of Days version)
6. If The World (album version)
7. Madagascar (2007 leak, or evader's 'Danube' remix)
8. The Blues (2007 leak)
9. Going Down (2013 remaster)
10. There Was A Time (2008 leak)
11. Shackler's Revenge (album version)
12. Sorry (album version)
13. This I Love (No Lead Guitar version)
14. Prostitute (album version)

And ofcourse a bonustrack:

15. Silkworms (Played live so it is real but a studio version would be nice)

More bonus tracks are OK but belong in another topic I guess.

This is the Chinese Democracy album for me (counting with what it's out at this moment):

1. Chinese Democracy 2008 Skwerl Leak

2. Oh My God v2 2018 Leak (Leaked in 2018)

3. Better 2006 Leak 

4. Street of Dreams 2001 Version (Leaked in 2018)

5. Silkworms (Leaked in 2018)

6. There Was a Time 2001 Version (Leaked in 2018)

7. IRS 2006 Leak

8. Catcher in the Rye Album Version

9. Going Down

10. Riad and the Bedouins Album Version

11. Sorry Album Version

12. Madagascar 2001 Version (Leaked in 2017)

13. This I Love Remix

6 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

This is the Chinese Democracy album for me (counting with what it's out at this moment):

1. Chinese Democracy 2008 Skwerl Leak

2. Oh My God v2 2018 Leak (Leaked in 2018)

3. Better 2006 Leak 

4. Street of Dreams 2001 Version (Leaked in 2018)

5. Silkworms (Leaked in 2018)

6. There Was a Time 2001 Version (Leaked in 2018)

7. IRS 2006 Leak

8. Catcher in the Rye Album Version

9. Going Down

10. Riad and the Bedouins Album Version

11. Sorry Album Version

12. Madagascar 2001 Version (Leaked in 2017)

13. This I Love Remix

No Shackler's? Also could you send me those links?

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Do you not have the studio demo of Silkworms? I can send it to you when I'm home in a few hours, if you want. 

Thanks a lot.... but I think I have all what has been shared....and it's illegal (site rules I mean) to share unreleased songs.

(Studio demo is nice but still a demo....the finished product will be better I guess)

1 minute ago, avahland said:

Thanks a lot.... but I think I have all what has been shared....and it's illegal (site rules I mean) to share unreleased songs.

(Studio demo is nice but still a demo....the finished product will be better I guess)

I thought we could PM anything (except maybe released albums)

4 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm seeing a lot of people listing 2007/08 leaks for CD songs. Is there a difference between the album versions and the leaks? 

Yeah in some cases there are a lot of little changes, whether it is guitar parts or levels of the effects/synths, etc.  It can get a bit hairy for songs like Better and IRS where there are quite a few different versions of them out there

• GNFNR 1

12 minutes ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

I'm seeing a lot of people listing 2007/08 leaks for CD songs. Is there a difference between the album versions and the leaks? 

A lot of difference. Mainly no Ron or Frank I believe. Here are a few things I discovered to be different on the Skwerl leaks:

CD: Brain drums instead of Frank, “like if your ass were your head you could tell” line is there instead of “will their arms reach out for your help?” on the album version 

The Blues: less guitars, orchestra and piano are more prominent in mix + “that’s what I’d tell ya” and “inside of you” vocals aren’t added yet 

Riad: No intro from final cut, Bucket all over and no Ron, “no one had wove as well” line altered from album version, and Axl whispering “Bedouins” which isn’t in the final cut

Axl's first choice was the 2002 lineup. he had his superstar team. I wish they would have released 3 albums together but bumble and frank up being part of the album so they both are kinda part of the chinese thing for me. it made it crazier and more fun in a way. I like how the album ended out sounding in 2008 but the catcher leak is something I would like to have in great quality. Bumble's versions is also great. like the instrumentally different versions instead of lyrics like don't cry original and alternative.

Edited by Rovim

7 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Man, listening to the 2008 Antiquiet leak of If The World... it's just feels so empty! I think ITW is the song that benefited the most from the "overproduction". I LOVE the album version, this one feels so incomplete...

Agreed, the ITW Antiquiet leak is definitely missing that 'final touch'... same with Better, I don't like the mix on that version very much. But on the other hand, the Antiquiet leak of There Was A Time is perfect.

• Like 1

I'd love for them to release a 1999/2000 properly mixed and mastered version, along with a 2002/2004 version properly mixed and mastered, each album would have a slightly different track listing and songs (I'm sure the album had songs shuffled around, or added and removed over time).  Would be nice for a ten year anniversary bonus along with the remix album. Imagine a 4 disc set with what I mention, and the 2008 album.  

I don't mind Ron's playing on the title track, but I like the leaks of this song. I prefer Axl's singing on the album version.

I wish we had a Shackler's with no Ron solo, only Bucket.

I thought the leak of Riad was way better with the Bucket solo.

Prostitute leak and album version seemed to be the most similar out of any of the other songs. The more recent 2001 leak of the Blues is my favorite. It sounds most like the live version of that time, which makes sense.

I'd love to hear a clean and properly mixed and mastered 1999 Catcher like the leak.

Edited by Sweersa
  • GNFNR 1