Preferred Democracy

The combination Finck, Bumble, and Fortus. Bucket is great and Bumble is within a half step of him but slightly different player and some would call him superior as he is the master of the fretless. The combination of those three seemed to fit and they meshed very well. Finck clashed with Bucket. I think the down fall of the Chinese Democracy album was that it wasn't Slash and there was a lot clashing styles layered in. The re-recording of Better were better because they were stripped down, I prefer BBF's acoustic over Ashba's Emo.

Just now, Billly B said:

The combination Finck, Bumble, and Fortus. Bucket is great and Bumble is within a half step of him but slightly different player and some would call him superior as he is the master of the fretless. The combination of those three seemed to fit and they meshed very well. Finck clashed with Bucket. I think the down fall of the Chinese Democracy album was that it wasn't Slash and there was a lot clashing styles layered in. The re-recording of Better were better because they were stripped down, I prefer BBF's acoustic over Ashba's Emo.

If you think Buckethead and Robin clash then I reccomend you listen to the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack, they also worked together on that.

50 minutes ago, 98izzark said:

If you think Buckethead and Robin clash then I reccomend you listen to the Ghosts of Mars soundtrack, they also worked together on that.

Robin did not blend well with Bucket on the album Chinese Democracy and their sounds clashed and what you posted is completely different. So yeah I'm not comparing it to sides projects or songs which they did. The best songs had less things blended together from that era. Buckets parts were part of a different era and sound. They clashed with Fincks parts and new parts. Whereas BBF's did not clash because it was the CD release era. When you throw many stylistic approaches together, it is not good. That is probably the reason Catcher got re-recorded completely because of all the styles and era's probably made it sound like a complete train wreck.

Just now, Billly B said:

Robin did not blend well with Bucket on the album Chinese Democracy and their sounds clashed and what you posted is completely different. So yeah I'm not comparing it to sides projects or songs which they did. The best songs had less things blended together from that era. Buckets parts were part of a different era and sound. They clashed with Fincks parts and new parts. Whereas BBF's did not clash because it was the CD release era. When you throw many stylistic approaches together, it is not good. That is probably the reason Catcher got re-recorded completely because of all the styles and era's probably made it sound like a complete train wreck.

But Buckethead and Robin were in during the same era

14 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I don't mind Ron's playing on the title track, but I like the leaks of this song. I prefer Axl's singing on the album version.

I wish we had a Shackler's with no Ron solo, only Bucket.

I like the additions to the production on the title track, but the simplicity of the leak packs a lot more punch.

I would love to hear the original mix of Shackler's before they replaced Bucket with Ron. I'll bet it sounds wild.

On 14/11/2018 at 8:19 PM, wasted said:

If I had to choose it would be the final record Ron and Costanzo did. Ron added some sick parts and a prog metal element. The guitar he added on Chi dem really bumped it up. 

Oh absolutely!

The song felt naked without Ron's fretless work on the verses.

Just now, F*ck Fear said:

Oh absolutely!

The song felt naked without Ron's fretless work on the verses.

I actually tuned in to a station for the release of the Chi dem single and that dirty rhythmn part Ron added got me hard. I didn’t know it was Ron. It was weird because Slash was talking to the DJ before they played it and after the dj was shiting on it and Slash was saying you’re biased. But definitely Ron made that song have something extra. I kind of had faith that Ron and Dj could do the next album, it wouldn’t be AFD or CD but it would’ve interesting to see. 

On 2018-11-14 at 3:48 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

The 2002-2006 version(s) are the most interesting, IMO.

Whenever I listen to the album in a playlist, this is usually how I listen to it:

1. Chinese Democracy (2007 leak)
2. IRS (2006 leak #2)
3. Better (album version)
4. Catcher In The Rye (album version)
5. Oh My God (End of Days version)
6. If The World (album version)
7. Madagascar (2007 leak, or evader's 'Danube' remix)
8. The Blues (2007 leak)
9. Going Down (2013 remaster)
10. There Was A Time (2008 leak)
11. Shackler's Revenge (album version)
12. Sorry (album version)
13. This I Love (No Lead Guitar version)
14. Prostitute (album version)

I just made a playlist with these versions (well, all except for TIL without lead guitar because ain't nobody removing Robin from my CD :lol:) and will check it out!! 

• Like 2

There's really no other album like CD to me in the way that there isn't a perfect version of any of them, and the ultimate versions of each song would combine studio, leaked, 2002-2014 live, and Slash additions. 

Chinese Democracy: Idk, I like both the album and 2002 versions, and Bucket did a different solo pretty much every show in 2002 that are all more interesting than others depending on the time I hear them. Ideally mostly the 2002 version with the album outro that picks up where Bucket stops in live performances. There's also a super simple fill in 2002 that I have no idea why it was taken out. IRS has a similar super basic like 3 note fill that pops in a few times in the earliest versions during verses.

Shackler's Revenge: Album version is fine as is, but I do like some of the melody changes in the chorus Axl did in live performances and would like a studio version of them. Wouldn't mind Ron's backing vocals on it either.

Better: NITL intro, the first half of Slash's solo, rest is album version, probably drop the electronic drum loops since they don't really fit with the NITL vibe

Street of Dreams: 2002 studio leak with the Axl/guitar harmony heading into the last chorus from 2002 live shows, Frank's drum roll near the end, studio solo in the outro

If The World: Album version is fine as is, a few additional screams in the live performances and the bit of Love Hangover couldn't hurt though.

TWAT: Short intro and the weird chords in the chorus from the last version to leak before the album release, a couple of fills from Slash, everything else stays from the album version

Catcher: I'd go with mostly the album version, but Brian May's first solo instead of Ron's, a handful of fills from Slash, and then Ron's outro solo up until May's comes back in the demo

Scraped: Fine as is

Riad: Fine as is

Sorry: I'd say just stick with the album version. Slash has a few random licks and fills, but definitely the album solo.

IRS: Intro from the 2006 version, verses album version, chorus a mix of 1999 and album versions

Madagascar: Album version with Slash's chunkier playing of the chorus, Robin's live backing vocals

This I Love: I'd love to hear the album version with the remix vocals, and one with Slash's take and Robin's solo. 

Prostitute: A blend of the leak and album, but if I had to pick between the two I'd probably just take the album version

Edited by Stro

7 minutes ago, Stro said:

There's really no other album like CD to me in the way that there isn't a perfect version of any of them, and the ultimate versions of each song would combine studio, leaked, 2002-2014 live, and Slash additions. 

Chinese Democracy: Idk, I like both the album and 2002 versions, and Bucket did a different solo pretty much every show in 2002 that are all more interesting than others depending on the time I hear them. Ideally mostly the 2002 version with the album outro that picks up where Bucket stops in live performances. There's also a super simple fill in 2002 that I have no idea why it was taken out. IRS has a similar super basic like 3 note fill that pops in a few times in the earliest versions during verses.

Shackler's Revenge: Album version is fine as is, but I do like some of the melody changes in the chorus Axl did in live performances and would like a studio version of them. Wouldn't mind Ron's backing vocals on it either.

Better: NITL intro, the first half of Slash's solo, rest is album version, probably drop the electronic drum loops since they don't really fit with the NITL vibe

Street of Dreams: 2002 studio leak with the Axl/guitar harmony heading into the last chorus from 2002 live shows, Frank's drum roll near the end, studio solo in the outro

If The World: Album version is fine as is, a few additional screams in the live performances and the bit of Love Hangover couldn't hurt though.

TWAT: Short intro and the weird chords in the chorus from the last version to leak before the album release, a couple of fills from Slash, everything else stays from the album version

Catcher: I'd go with mostly the album version, but Brian May's first solo instead of Ron's, a handful of fills from Slash, and then Ron's outro solo up until May's comes back in the demo

Scraped: Fine as is

Riad: Fine as is

Sorry: I'd say just stick with the album version. Slash has a few random licks and fills, but definitely the album solo.

IRS: Intro from the 2006 version, verses album version, chorus a mix of 1999 and album versions

Madagascar: Album version with Slash's chunkier playing of the chorus, Robin's live backing vocals

This I Love: I'd love to hear the album version with the remix vocals, and one with Slash's take and Robin's solo. 

Prostitute: A blend of the leak and album, but if I had to pick between the two I'd probably just take the album version

Damn, you know your shit