wasted

What’s the best Offspring song?

12 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I'm pretty sure I heard Nimrod when it came out, I remember Good Riddance.  The political thing is weird, I'm not adverse to it as such its just bands rarely do it well.  And even the ones that do do it well and kinda become part of the iconography of politics in popular culture but the actual work itself and the attempt to reconcile a political ethos with records etc is ummm...I dunno, its shaky ground.  A lot of music is highly political or forges itself a position in pop culture politics without even trying to (or barely trying to), like The Stones did but these instances of sort of like...actively seeking it?  It remains unconvincing.  I love The Clash and i love John Lennon, both of whom were extremely successful but even in those instances there's only so far they can go with it until it starts to ring hollow I feel.  And Green Day kinda got into that shit late in the day at a time when they seemed kinda short on inspiration.

Maybe it was hard for some people to take them seriously when they went political because only a few years earlier they were still writing songs about masturbating. I don't care if a song is political, if it's a good song, that's all that matters at the end of the day. But they lost their edge after 2000 and when you write mostly three chord songs and the vocal melodies always tend to sound alike, people will get bored sooner or later. That being said, they scored some of their biggest hits after the 2000s. 

I like Nimrod because it has a lot of different sounds, at least for a Green Day Record. Some pop shit, ska sounds, acoustic stuff, jazzy surf rock, and stuff like this:

6 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

One of their albums had a great title something like 2000 and something smoothed out slappy hours or something.

I think that was a re-issue of their first album combined with some early EP's. The title is pretty much the titles of those EP's put in a blender. It's remember it not being particularly good. I like Dookie, but the rest really isn't worth buying.  

Edited by username
  • Like 1

Oh, and as for The Offspring, I got into them when Americana came out in '98 when I was 14. looking back though, I don't really care for that one anymore. Smash was actually good. Ignition and Ixnay had some ok songs. But overall, they're not that great. I remember seeing this live show they did around '98 on tv where they had inflatable Backstreet Boys on stage that they beat up with inflatable bats or something. 

• Like 1

I was having my haircut once and they put on American Idiot. It wasn’t bad, it was full of tunes. It was much more rock though. Holiday was pretty catchy. 

Uno was also a fun little album. 

Seems like My Chemical Romance nicked stuff off the Offspring. 

Only new stuff I’ve listened to is Paramore and Tokio Hotel. 

American Idiot is an amazing album. It's not punk at all except for like 2 tracks but it's actually really good.

The Offspring were always a fun live band with several sing-alongs. Don't think they see themselves as anything else too

Edited by Nicklord

The Kids aren't alright AND Self Esteem. I love Offspring. Their live shows kick so much ass! Saw them last time in June in Vienna. Had so much fun...

Cslifornia Cruisin’ seems undeeated. It should be no 1. 

22 hours ago, bucketfoot said:

The one off Crazy Taxi.

Wich 1 is dat?

8 minutes ago, bucketfoot said:

All I Want. Definitely enhanced by Crazy Taxi.

The more you suffer the more it shows you really care about Crazy Taxi. 

Hit That isn’t that far off. 

Wlefare Warfare Victim Hit That State. 

Almost none of their hits are their best songs IMO.

Cool to Hate

Slim Pickens/Dividing By Zero (and most of Days Go By is great tbh)

Mota

Can't Get My Head Around You

The Meaning of Life

Million Miles Away