Star Wars TV Series Thread

soon

With multiple shows airing currently for younger audiences and three upcoming adult oriented series I thought we need a thread to discuss Star Wars TV shows!

List of Past and Present Star Wars TV Shows:

- The Star Wars Holiday Special, live action, includes Boba Fett cartoon (stand alone special, 1978)

- Droids (paired with Ewoks for "The Ewoks and Droids Adventure Hour") 1985-1986

- Ewoks (1985-1986)

- Clone Wars (2003-2005)

- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008-2014)

- Rebels (2014-2018)

- Forces of Destiny (2017-)

- Resistance (2018-)

- Detours (unaired animated parody series) 2012

List of Upcoming Star Wars Shows:

- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (reboot, animated)

- The Mandalorian (live action)

- Cassian Andor series, as yet untitled (live action)

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

Forces of Destiny is cool for what it is. 3 minute stories that fill in gaps or tell additional stories about previously released movies. Its for kids. Although some kids might not follow the non-chronological story lines. And there's different characters from different eras featured episode by episode.

Im excited for the clone wars reboot and the mandalorian. Not really excited for the cassian show though. I feel like he didn't really have much of a character to him in the rogue one film.

i hope we get a Han Solo show, since it looks like a theatrical sequel to the movie won't happen now.

EDIT: inb4 original trilogy elitists and/or George Lucas elitists come to ruin this thread, like they do with every other piece of Star Wars discussion content on the entire fucking Internet now since 2015.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • GNFNR 1

7 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Im excited for the clone wars reboot and the mandalorian. Not really excited for the cassian show though. I feel like he didn't really have much of a character to him in the rogue one film.

i hope we get a Han Solo show, since it looks like a theatrical sequel to the movie won't happen now.

Yeah, A Solo series seems more likely now and I really hope we get it. I loved the world they brought to life in that film. Lots of stories to be told!

I'm excited for both new live action shows and Clone Wars, but I see what you mean about Cassian. What I liked about Cassian is that he's ruthless and less of a touchstone of morality then many other representations of Star Wars rebels. How he killed his fellow operative is very un-Star Wars I think? But that's much more in line with how dodgy 'underground' rebellions often operate. Over the course of Rogue One we saw him soften and reconnect with his humanity a bit. I wonder what this cutthroat true-believer spy got up to before Jyn came along?

Edited by soon
  • Like 1

A Han Solo series or mini series would be a great idea now that you mention it.

I am looking forward to The Mandalorian. Its a cool premise and I'm happy it takes place after ROTJ. Hope Boba Fett is alive and has a role.

I also like the idea of a show about the Rebels but having Cassian be the lead is kind of meh. Would rather have new characters.

Star Wars is completely over saturated and no longer special, so might as well just accept all this I guess. 

• Like 2

Thanks for Ewoks correction @31illusions, I've changed it in the list. Yeah, Ewoks is cool. And the tv movies.

This Clone Wars series ran between the theatrical runs of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I dont think I knew about it until recently. About to start it. Has anyone watched this?

2 hours ago, soon said:

Thanks for Ewoks correction @31illusions, I've changed it in the list. Yeah, Ewoks is cool. And the tv movies.

This Clone Wars series ran between the theatrical runs of Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith. I dont think I knew about it until recently. About to start it. Has anyone watched this?

Yeah it's good but keep in mind it was marketed as  a "micro-series" because the episodes in season 1 were only 5-minutes each so there is very little dialogue and the setting and plot jumps around a lot.

season 2 had fewer episodes but they were all 15 minutes each so there's more of a straight-forward plot going on with more dialogue.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah it's good but keep in mind it was marketed as  a "micro-series" because the episodes in season 1 were only 5-minutes each so there is very little dialogue and the setting and plot jumps around a lot.

season 2 had fewer episodes but they were all 15 minutes each so there's more of a straight-forward plot going on with more dialogue.

Oh, thanks for the heads up about length. I guess a lot of Star Wars animated stuff is shorter. I just noticed a passing reference on wiki about the Home Video release: "Both volumes were later released on home video edited as feature-length films." Im gonna poke around and see if that true and track it down - or maybe that is this YT?

Learning about its previous canon position is interesting, because its said to lead into the events of Revenge of the Sith, so it seems that it at least couldn't contradict Disney Cannon? And it introduced Ventress and Grievous.

2 hours ago, soon said:

Oh, thanks for the heads up about length. I guess a lot of Star Wars animated stuff is shorter. I just noticed a passing reference on wiki about the Home Video release: "Both volumes were later released on home video edited as feature-length films." Im gonna poke around and see if that true and track it down - or maybe that is this YT?

Learning about its previous canon position is interesting, because its said to lead into the events of Revenge of the Sith, so it seems that it at least couldn't contradict Disney Cannon? And it introduced Ventress and Grievous.

Yeah both seasons were edited into hour-long films that were pretty much just all the episodes strung together. The first "volume," as they called it, is almost like a silent film, but an interesting one at that. Both DVDs are now out-of-print, but you can find both "volumes" on YouTube if you search hard enough (the link you provided above is both volumes put togther).

yes, it does connect directly to Revenge of the Sith, and introduced Ventress and Grevious. There's a 3-year time jump in the first episode of season 2. For a long time, the cgi clone wars show was fitted into that gap. However, season 3 of that newer show chose to overwrite the continuity of the micro series. As a result, the micro series was recannonized as an in-universe "propaganda show" made by the rebel alliance to remind people how awesome the republic and jedi used to be. This also helped to explain things like why the jedi are so OP in this show, and why Palpatine is obviously evil and yet the jedi (especially in this show) seem so oblivious to it.

when disney announced the de-canonization of the expanded universe, this show was also de-canonized altogether.

Edited by rocknroll41

1 hour ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah both seasons were edited into hour-long films that were pretty much just all the episodes strung together. The first "volume," as they called it, is almost like a silent film, but an interesting one at that. Both DVDs are now out-of-print, but you can find both "volumes" on YouTube if you search hard enough (the link you provided above is both volumes put togther).

yes, it does connect directly to Revenge of the Sith, and introduced Ventress and Grevious. There's a 3-year time jump in the first episode of season 2. For a long time, the cgi clone wars show was fitted into that gap. However, season 3 of that newer show chose to overwrite the continuity of the micro series. As a result, the micro series was recannonized as an in-universe "propaganda show" made by the rebel alliance to remind people how awesome the republic and jedi used to be. This also helped to explain things why the jedi are so OP in this show, and why Palpatine is like, plainly obviously evil.

when disney announced the de-canonization of the expanded universe, this show was also de-canonized altogether.

Wow! Thats fascinating! In-Universe propaganda show? My mind is blown! Thanks for filling me in. You know your stuff, man!

I've heard references to Lucas kinda changing plans on the drop of a hat. Sounds like this may be a case of that? I'll be paying extra close attention to Ventress to see if anything is at odds. I think I'm lucky to only be doing the deep dive in Star Wars fandom now - must have been difficult to invest in stories only to have them over written! Ahsokas journey has always resonated with me, so I guess it worked out for me in this case.

Thanks for release info too. Gonna watch the 2 volumes separately.

1 hour ago, soon said:

Wow! Thats fascinating! In-Universe propaganda show? My mind is blown! Thanks for filling me in. You know your stuff, man!

I've heard references to Lucas kinda changing plans on the drop of a hat. Sounds like this may be a case of that? I'll be paying extra close attention to Ventress to see if anything is at odds. I think I'm lucky to only be doing the deep dive in Star Wars fandom now - must have been difficult to invest in stories only to have them over written! Ahsokas journey has always resonated with me, so I guess it worked out for me in this case.

Thanks for release info too. Gonna watch the 2 volumes separately.

No problem, happy to help!

youre correct that lucas was always changing his mind about things on the spot. What makes it even worse is that whenever he changes his mind about something he acts like the new idea was his plan all along. His revisionist history impulses are the most annoying thing about him imo.

before disney de-canonized the EU there was these two guys at lucasfilm who were paid to basically review every comic, book, game, TV show, etc and try to maintain as much continuity as possible. Whenever something would change or an inconsistency would happen they'd be tasked with coming up with all these weird bullshit excuses to try to make everything still connect together as much as possible (like "oh yeah this is just an in-universe propaganda show now" and so on).

I think both of those guys are still employed at Lucasfilm but their job is a little different now that the universe was rebooted by disney to be much smaller. The only pre-disney stuff that still counts are the six original films and the cgi clone wars show that started in 2008.

• GNFNR 1

22 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

No problem, happy to help!

youre correct that lucas was always changing his mind about things on the spot. What makes it even worse is that whenever he changes his mind about something he acts like the new idea was his plan all along. His revisionist history impulses are the most annoying thing about him imo.

before disney de-canonized the EU there was these two guys at lucasfilm who were paid to basically review every comic, book, game, TV show, etc and try to maintain as much continuity as possible. Whenever something would change or an inconsistency would happen they'd be tasked with coming up with all these weird bullshit excuses to try to make everything still connect together as much as possible (like "oh yeah this is just an in-universe propaganda show now" and so on).

I think both of those guys are still employed at Lucasfilm but their job is a little different now that the universe was rebooted by disney to be much smaller. The only pre-disney stuff that still counts are the six original films and the cgi clone wars show that started in 2008.

I honestly was so shocked by those 2 guys job that I was speechless.

Its starting to seem like the world of Star Wars is as crazy as the world of GNR. I had always seen a parallel between Lucas and Axl in that they were instrumental in creating a 'thing' that seemed to quickly become bigger then them - that they coudnt, left to their own devises, maintain their incredible creations (CD and Prequels not connecting with all the audience). But it seems the madness and especially the revisionist stuff are similar too. And the corporate take over attempting to right the ship - with LN and Disney. I guess something about the crazy appeals to me? :lol:

Rebels and Resistance too, right? I havent seen either. What Ive heard is that they dont really tell stories that alters much, although they introduce new characters? But since those shows take place before TFA, and those new characters are absent in TFA, that they dont seem to matter to the more adult oriented Star Wars part of canon?

6 hours ago, soon said:

I honestly was so shocked by those 2 guys job that I was speechless.

Its starting to seem like the world of Star Wars is as crazy as the world of GNR. I had always seen a parallel between Lucas and Axl in that they were instrumental in creating a 'thing' that seemed to quickly become bigger then them - that they coudnt, left to their own devises, maintain their incredible creations (CD and Prequels not connecting with all the audience). But it seems the madness and especially the revisionist stuff are similar too. And the corporate take over attempting to right the ship - with LN and Disney. I guess something about the crazy appeals to me? :lol:

Rebels and Resistance too, right? I havent seen either. What Ive heard is that they dont really tell stories that alters much, although they introduce new characters? But since those shows take place before TFA, and those new characters are absent in TFA, that they dont seem to matter to the more adult oriented Star Wars part of canon?

Yeah there are a lot of similarities between Lucas and Axl. It's pretty fascinating.

yes rebels and resistance both count as canon since they were only created after the sale to disney, but like you said none of the characters have crossed over into the movies (not yet, at least), and they're aimed at children anyway.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I confess I couldn't make it through that, and that is a weird situation given the rubbish I can usually sit through. I just couldn't make it. 

Same. I think I may have seen all the scenes by now, just watching random sections. I think it offends my sensibilities to be beholden to the Chewies family narrative, because it's such nonsense. So jumping around has been better.

14 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah there are a lot of similarities between Lucas and Axl. It's pretty fascinating.

yes rebels and resistance both count as canon since they were only created after the sale to disney, but like you said none of the characters have crossed over into the movies (not yet, at least), and they're aimed at children anyway.

But on the other hand, Rebels has some heavy stuff (which is canon)... Bendu, Ahsoka and Darth Vader (time-force portal), Maul, Mandalor, etc. That's not just something to ignore.

4 hours ago, Daedalus said:

But on the other hand, Rebels has some heavy stuff (which is canon)... Bendu, Ahsoka and Darth Vader (time-force portal), Maul, Mandalor, etc. That's not just something to ignore.

Yeah good point. I guess if they ever do an Obi-Wan film they can't have Maul in that or else it would contradict that arc from rebels too much. 

On 11/18/2018 at 10:30 AM, Daedalus said:

I havent seen either Rebels or Resistance yet. Im excited to see more of Ahsokas story (no spoilers please! :)). But I'm less excited by Resistance although, given its 6 months prior to TFA, I really hope it will reveal the origin of the First Order. That would be huge, imho.

4 hours ago, soon said:

I havent seen either Rebels or Resistance yet. Im excited to see more of Ahsokas story (no spoilers please! :)). But I'm less excited by Resistance although, given its 6 months prior to TFA, I really hope it will reveal the origin of the First Order. That would be huge, imho.

I've seen all 7 episodes of Resistance so far and I don't know... don't really like it. Animation is just meh and so far the story isn't that interesting - at all.

But Rebels were cool. I think some of the original/pre-"new hope" art and concept were used and the story in its core was rich. Not Clone Wars level, but close enough.

On 11/20/2018 at 2:47 PM, Daedalus said:

I've seen all 7 episodes of Resistance so far and I don't know... don't really like it. Animation is just meh and so far the story isn't that interesting - at all.

But Rebels were cool. I think some of the original/pre-"new hope" art and concept were used and the story in its core was rich. Not Clone Wars level, but close enough.

Oh thats cool about the OT look to Rebels! I was going to try and wait for Disney Streaming for both Rebels and Resistance. But I don't think I can hold out to hear more Ahsoka. If Rebels is after Clone Wars, then I guess the reboot wont have any new Rebels aspects to her story. But I just cant wait for Rebels anyways. Box set might have to be a Christmas gift for myself.

On one of the pod casts they have a segment called "I watch Star Wars Resistance so you don't have to" lol. Ive been listening to that for updates on the stories and new characters, and reading wookiepedia for story points. But I'm not really getting much insight really. If they do tell the story of the First Orders rise, please post here!?!?

• 3 weeks later...

Nick Nolte is announced to be in Mando series. Im not sure that works for me, unless maybe if his appearance is altered and his unique look is expanded on for an alien effect. But still his acting doesnt seem like it fits the Galaxy?

Also a baby is said to feature in Mandos.