Is Rock in Río 2011 the worst concert of Guns n' Roses?

AxlShadows

On 11/18/2018 at 3:17 PM, sl4yer said:

I listened to Better and YCBM from this show. Better was ridiculous. He is out of breath and can't hold high notes in the bridge.

More control? I don't think so his voice was all over the place.

Listen to Chinese Democracy and Jungle now. It's way better than from this RIR. And he looks a lot better now and even moves better. So overall, I honestly tell you 2018 is better

Way better than RIR 2018

The clean voice sounds marginally better back in ‘11. It was less Mickey than what we have today My opinion isn’t a popular one, but it is my opinion.

On 11/17/2018 at 6:12 PM, AtariLegend said:

I reckon the worst part of the show was System of a Down before that. They played 29 fucking songs on the stream before Guns played and were still playing when Gun's were supposed to start before the rain flooded the stage.

All 29 generic rubbish songs that sounded exactly the same.

I disagree. System played a great show that night 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

The Bridge school disaster Axl had SEVERE strep throat. Like bad. He wasn’t even gonna perform if it was up to management.it was a show for special needs and handicap I believe. I think it was a benefit from what I’ve found in research.he performed from the “ kindness of his heart” lol

As far as rio 2011 goes Tommy Stinson and Bumblefoot both said that that was 5e worse show ever. The reason why was because of the rain storm. All the electronics and guitars were soaked and shorting/cutting out. At that point it was about grinding it out and getting through the gig. You can find these interviews if you search for them

• 6 months later...
19 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

yeah full of Mickey.. no, absoluty no word with a raspy voice. Axl was in a terrible condition. He should retire...

Ugh, just let all those people who still love him enjoy it and you retire from the shows instead if you find it all so terrible.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently RIR has always been a difficult venue to play, with multiple sound issues. 2011 was atrocious, 2017 was vocally bad and even in the 1991 shows Axls mic cuts out and he messed up lyrics. Part of this might be the band's fault but it is also because combined with technical problems and a deafeningly huge crowd, it is difficult to play a good show. 

• 3 months later...

I just watched the bridge school WTTJ and i never knew that existed. I wish i didnt know about it... it was that bad. 

Looking at RIR 2011 the overriding thought i get from looking at clips from that show is this...

WTF happened to Axl Rose between 2006 (specifically the rock am ring gig in Germany) and this show in 2011???

Its a genuiene question.. to decline that much inside 5 years is really sad. I thought he was a monster RAR 2006... if anyone can shed any light on this id actually be interested. 

edit.. so i just took at look at a tokyo show in 2009 ojn yotube and axl is closer in that show to his today physique than he was to his 2006/07 look.. so the decline in fitness must have been 2008/09 because it looks like he aged 10 years in 2 years between that time. 

Edited by Tadsy

2 hours ago, Tadsy said:

I just watched the bridge school WTTJ and i never knew that existed. I wish i didnt know about it... it was that bad. 

Looking at RIR 2011 the overriding thought i get from looking at clips from that show is this...

WTF happened to Axl Rose between 2006 (specifically the rock am ring gig in Germany) and this show in 2011???

Its a genuiene question.. to decline that much inside 5 years is really sad. I thought he was a monster RAR 2006... if anyone can shed any light on this id actually be interested. 

edit.. so i just took at look at a tokyo show in 2009 ojn yotube and axl is closer in that show to his today physique than he was to his 2006/07 look.. so the decline in fitness must have been 2008/09 because it looks like he aged 10 years in 2 years between that time. 

I think the fact he didn't tour between 2008 and 2009 and the problems surrounding CD took its toll. However, he was still killing it vocally, and to me, the biggest difference was what happened between the end of the 2010 shows and Rio 2011. The fact it was just half a year makes it even worse. He never recuperated enough to get the 2010 form back. 

And not just for the rest of the NuGNR days, but up to now. 2010 was the last time he's sung certain parts in the middle register with rasp (like Better, RQ etc.). I've always felt sorry they didn't play Estranged and Civil War a year earlier, i.e. in 2010. Oh well. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...
On 11/18/2018 at 11:57 AM, Gibson_Guy87 said:

Worst full performance? Definitely RIR 2011

The worst performance of any length from Axl was Bridge School in 2012

Bridge School shows are a ridiculous comparison. Axl had strep throat, still fronted to support a worthy cause and the only disaster vocally was Jungle.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Looks so much older than 49? I don't think so, looks about right to me.

He looked terrible for 49. People mocked him mercilessly at the time for how he looked in the raincoat. Such a completely wide chasm from how he looked from even 2006-7. 

17 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

yes that's probably the worst.  but really every gnr show that involved a buckethead, 3 guitarists doing covers of slash and izzy, and most certainly anything with dj asshat are the worst.  all nu guns era basically.

Wasn't the problem with a lot of Nu Guns the fact that they would also add a lot of unnecessary solos/noodling on top of covering the old band?

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 9:51 AM, SoulMonster said:

Worst GN'R show? October 21, 1986. Axl didn't show so the band had to improvise some covers, blue jams, with Izzy, Duff and some techs traded vocals.

That show must have been 10 times more fun than any of the newGuns desasters.

Sorry for quoting such an old post... :P 

Edited by Free Bird

• 3 months later...
On 11/17/2018 at 11:44 PM, soon said:

The tale of the yellow jacket?

Crowe was discussing his new Showtime series, Roadies, in the interview when he was asked to recount the best roadie story he’d heard. What he revealed is a tale that has become so infamous amongst band crews, that it’s actually become part of their lingo.

Apparently, Crowe overheard some roadies talking about “yellow-jacketing,” and inquired what that meant. “They said, ‘There was a guy that worked with Guns N' Roses, and there was a show and Axl Rose needed a yellow jacket that he’d left in England before he would perform. So a roadie was given the job to get on a plane as fast as possible, go to London, find Axl Rose’s yellow jacket, and come back so he could play the show.'”

Yes, Axl Rose once sent a crew member to a different country just to pick up a specific yellow jacket — but that’s not even why Cameron remembers the story so well. “The best part about that story is not that somebody had to go get a yellow jacket for Axl Rose,” he continued, “but that it became such lore among other roadies that it became a verb — to yellow-jacket.”

https://consequenceofsound.net/2016/07/axl-rose-yellow-jacket-story-is-the-stuff-of-roadie-legend/

I remember this story, certainly plausible. Only issue I have with this is that GNR didn't play in the UK at all in 2011 so why would Axl have a yellow jacket in storage over there?

Axl is certainly crazy enough to expect someone to do this, but I think it's just a myth.... Maybe @Fernandowill confirm or deny this story for us "ah...that's a question for management....doh!!:facepalm:"