Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

As far as I know, he wore the confederate jacket mostly (if not only) as part of the on stage presentation of Civil War, exchanging it during the performance of the song with the US flag jacket and a military jacket.

But based on the argument's of today's liberals ... is even stage design an acceptable excuse to show that symbol? That's my point ... Even just 30 years ago wearing that jacket was still an act of rebellion against the beginnings of PC culture .. IMO

Edited by 2020_Intensions

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

But based on the argument's of today's liberals ... is even stage design an acceptable excuse to show that symbol? That's my point ... Even just 30 years ago wearing that jacket was still an act of rebellion against the beginnings of PC culture .. IMO

I can’t imagine the amount of shit people would talk about GNR if the band was breaking in today’s climate. There is no way a prominent white artist could sing the lyrics in one in a million today without consequences. I forgot about the jacket which is super cool to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I can’t imagine the amount of shit people would talk about GNR if the band was breaking in today’s climate. There is no way a prominent white artist could sing the lyrics in one in a million today without consequences. I forgot about the jacket which is super cool to me.

It is a cool jacket!

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It is a cool jacket!

As Blackstar stated, the only time Axl wore that jacket was for Civil War. I never saw him wear that jacket outside of Civil War and I think it's due to what that song represents. 

36 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I think both right and left have PC culture. If you kneel for the anthem or speak against Trump, snowflake conservatives get all bent out of shape. They forget that the First Amendment applies to BOTH sides. For the left, I disagree with the taking down of statues regarding  Washington. I also think that some on the left will not always speak out for minorities and other groups of people. 

33 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I think you're projecting. I don't think either the term "PC culture" itself or the meaning that is given to it today (mostly by conservatives) even existed then. Maybe conservatives of the time believed that the jacket "represented" them despite the specific stage context in which Axl wore it, but I don't think it was perceived as a "rebellion" by anyone.

16 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

There were consequences and a lot of backlash for OIAM then. Racist slurs were not acceptable back then either.

• Like 2

I don't really get why an artist can't be political. Everybody should have their own political views and really think about it. It baffles me how voting isn't obligatory in the USA yet. You don't have to agree with anybody's political views, but maybe reading somebody's political stance (be it from Axl Rose or from the guy at Walmart) makes you think about your own opinion, that's the main thing here: you SHOULD have one.

Edited by Manfisman
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I didn't think much of it back then and always saw it as just a costume for Civil War.  If he wore it today he'd be lambasted for it.  PC culture ruins everything in it's path.

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think you're projecting. I don't think either the term "PC culture" itself or the meaning that is given to it today (mostly by conservatives) even existed then. Maybe conservatives of the time believed that the jacket "represented" them despite the specific stage context in which Axl wore it, but I don't think it was perceived as a "rebellion" by anyone.

There were consequences and a lot of backlash for OIAM then. Racist slurs were not acceptable back then either.

Nobody really cared at that time. There was the domestic abuse and wearing a confederate flag as a jacket. And the use of the flag during a song. There is a lot that Axl would take shit for today. Not that I care about those subjects too much.

10 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Nobody really cared at that time. There was the domestic abuse and wearing a confederate flag as a jacket. And the use of the flag during a song. There is a lot that Axl would take shit for today. Not that I care about those subjects too much.

You make it sound as if Axl didn't get shit back then. But he did get a lot of shit about all the things you mention (except for the confederate flag probably, because I guess most people understood it had to do with the presentation of the song).

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

As Blackstar stated, the only time Axl wore that jacket was for Civil War. I never saw him wear that jacket outside of Civil War and I think it's due to what that song represents. 

I think both right and left have PC culture. If you kneel for the anthem or speak against Trump, snowflake conservatives get all bent out of shape. They forget that the First Amendment applies to BOTH sides. For the left, I disagree with the taking down of statues regarding  Washington. I also think that some on the left will not always speak out for minorities and other groups of people. 

The song has nothing actually to do with the American Civil War however .. 

2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The song has nothing actually to do with the American Civil War however .. 

No, but probably it served as a metaphor for the contemporary wars and social conflicts.

It should also taken into consideration that at that time the confederate flag was trivialized internationally by/in popular culture like The Dukes of Hazzard. Maybe even kids in the US didn't know much about it and its historical context.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Blackstar said:

Axl has explained that the song Civil War was inspired by Erin's brother in law. The guy used sell weapons to the Midle East or something like it. I'm sure you can find the full quote ;)

14 minutes ago, Padme said:

Axl has explained that the song Civil War was inspired by Erin's brother in law. The guy used sell weapons to the Midle East or something like it. I'm sure you can find the full quote ;)

Yes, I remember the quote. Apparently this where Axl got the idea to write the song (although the lyrics are not about the guy).

28 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Yes, I remember the quote. Apparently this where Axl got the idea to write the song (although the lyrics are not about the guy).

The song was not about one person. It was about all the people profiting with wars taking place anywhere in the world

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swampfox said:

It's not just who is in office as he's obviously going after Trump.  He only attacks Republicans.  If he hit both sides with some criticism I'd be all for it but he went left and stayed there.  Looks more like a left wing agenda than just a concern for his country.  The left has plenty to criticize as does the right.

When the democrats are in power they get criticised. Right now it's a republican led government and it's their turn for the lashes... and regardless of your politics if you look at what's being said and done you have to agree the handling of this pandemic is terrible. Trump couldn't have handled it any worse! Held off closing down the country for weeks past the time he should have, reopened (against advice) far too early, refuses to promote mask wearing, puts out false information that his scientist advisors advise against "It's no worse than the flu".

I don't like either party, both are morally corrupt, vote independent! and don't get your news from Facebook, Fox (or any news tv show) or John Oliver! go to unbiased sources!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Blackstar said:

You make it sound as if Axl didn't get shit back then. But he did get a lot of shit about all the things you mention (except for the confederate flag probably, because I guess most people understood it had to do with the presentation of the song).

Yeah, if he wore the jacket today during our more woke era, it would be a whole other story. When he wore that jacket, that flag was everywhere! bands like Pantera had it emblazoned on their guitars and merch... I'm sure all of them would walk it back now, and not use or promote it... even in the context of a song.

30 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

When the democrats are in power they get criticised. Right now it's a republican led government and it's their turn for the lashes... and regardless of your politics if you look at what's being said and done you have to agree the handling of this pandemic is terrible. Trump couldn't have handled it any worse! Held off closing down the country for weeks past the time he should have, reopened (against advice) far too early, refuses to promote mask wearing, puts out false information that his scientist advisors advise against "It's no worse than the flu".

I don't like either party, both are morally corrupt, vote independent! and don't get your news from Facebook, Fox (or any news tv show) or John Oliver! go to unbiased sources!

Governors shut down or reopen their states.  It's a state level decision.  The states with the most cases have been those run by Democratic leaders so maybe Axl could throw a few jabs their way once in a while?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

Governors shut down or reopen their states.  It's a state level decision.  The states with the most cases have been those run by Democratic leaders so maybe Axl could throw a few jabs their way once in a while?

Uh? Arizona, Texas, Florida, Oklahoma and Georgia among others have Replublican Governors.  But politcs aside people should know better. You have to wear a mask. You have to try to keep social distance as much as you can. Nevermind what any given politician says. People must listen to what doctors  say

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Great post materock3 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DownUnderScott said:

Great post materock3 

Thanks! all this is just a nice distraction from the continuous Irish political shitshow🤣

38 minutes ago, Trin9498 said:

Remember when Axl actually wrote songs? That was awesome....

He writes songs and tweets... only differences is he releases his tweets. Great to have some version of the Axl rant back in our lives though!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Trin9498 said:

Remember when Axl actually wrote songs? That was awesome....

He wrote a whole bunch of songs. He might still be writing them. The problem is the songs never end up in an album nor in some streaming platform for people to listen. 

6 hours ago, Padme said:

5 hours ago, Blackstar said:

He was also the inspiration to Riad N' The Bedouins. 

IMO, both are pretty good metaphors about people and/or countries selling war and profiting from both sides. And with absolutely no regrets about it.

It's not that hard to figure out that the thing is the disregard about people's lives. I don't think the Confederate jacket got used because it was just a war symbol.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree with most of what you said, besides the "unbiased sources". There's no such a thing. Who they chose to talk to, the order, the questions and even the choice of quotes are all biased. We're not robots, that should be expected.

There is, however, credible and fact-checked/sourced journalism. The best way is to keep that in mind, read/watch content from those media sources, and try to make it up on your own. 

So yeah, news TV are not the best, but there's a huge difference between Fox News (pretty much just PR) and the others. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Blackstar said:

But not for wearing the jacket back then. People didnt bat an eyelid about it. I think it was still acceptable to wear it back then. Culture nowdays i guess is just different.

What next, if tv in the US does any reruns of the dukes of hazzard they will have to censor the confederate flag off the General Lee?.

Edited by Sydney Fan