Fourteenbeers

Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

4 hours ago, jamillos said:

Stay of Execution. I think since this has actually been registered, it's literally a very good title for this band's album. 

The registration expired a while ago, I think.

I wonder if his tweeting style is how he texts too? That would drive me fucking nuts

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Crazyman said:

I wonder if his tweeting style is how he texts too? That would drive me fucking nuts

Imagine how the GNR group chat looks with Axl and Melissa in the same chat :lol:

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It just feels beyond his scope of concern. 

Says the man commenting on someone else's political beliefs.....

14 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Imagine how the GNR group chat looks with Axl and Melissa in the same chat :lol:

Imagine it goes like this.

Melissa: Ax R 2tly 100

Axl: Blu R 1 'n a mill

Duff: typing...

Slash: typing...

Slash has left Chat 

Duff has left chat

That hurt my head to think and type like that. It's harder to understand than Da Vincis notebook 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I still can’t believe Axl gives two shits about who is in office. 

It's not just who is in office as he's obviously going after Trump.  He only attacks Republicans.  If he hit both sides with some criticism I'd be all for it but he went left and stayed there.  Looks more like a left wing agenda than just a concern for his country.  The left has plenty to criticize as does the right.

7 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

It's not just who is in office as he's obviously going after Trump.  He only attacks Republicans.  If he hit both sides with some criticism I'd be all for it but he went left and stayed there.  Looks more like a left wing agenda than just a concern for his country.  The left has plenty to criticize as does the right.

The only thing that truly bugs me about political Axl ... I never took him to be on to raise a flag, especially for the Left ...... I love looking at old pictures of his Confederate jacket ... Except back then it was the hardcore conservatives engaging in the very thing the modern left is today except this time he's apart of it? Just strange ...

50 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Why wouldn't it be? 

49 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Why? It's not the first time he's expressed his views, one way or the other, about who is in office.

1988:

1988_059.jpg

1992:

Axl: [...] Anybody here voting? What do you think of politics? It’s really kind of fucked. I did manage to register to vote, but, goddamn, as far as the president is concerned, there’s nobody to fuckin’ vote for. We’ve got Bush, who sold our ass out in the Gulf War for billions of dollars and lots of people killed. We’ve got Clinton, who could bring change, but then we’ve got Al Gore. [...] Al Gore, who - if his wife had her fucking way, we wouldn’t have this goddamn concert tonight. And it looks like there’s a good chance she’s gonna be in a lot more fuckin’ power. I’m not saying not to vote for Mr. Clinton, but, if you want your records in the fuckin’ stores, you’re gonna have to do some fighting for it. [Seattle, WA, USA, October 6, 1992]

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The only thing that truly bugs me about political Axl ... I never took him to be on to raise a flag, especially for the Left ...... I love looking at old pictures of his Confederate jacket ... Except back then it was the hardcore conservatives engaging in the very thing the modern left is today except this time he's apart of it? Just strange ...

As far as I know, he wore the confederate jacket mostly (if not only) as part of the on stage presentation of Civil War, exchanging it during the performance of the song with the US flag jacket and a military jacket.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

As far as I know, he wore the confederate jacket mostly (if not only) as part of the on stage presentation of Civil War, exchanging it during the performance of the song with the US flag jacket and a military jacket.

But based on the argument's of today's liberals ... is even stage design an acceptable excuse to show that symbol? That's my point ... Even just 30 years ago wearing that jacket was still an act of rebellion against the beginnings of PC culture .. IMO

Edited by 2020_Intensions

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

But based on the argument's of today's liberals ... is even stage design an acceptable excuse to show that symbol? That's my point ... Even just 30 years ago wearing that jacket was still an act of rebellion against the beginnings of PC culture .. IMO

I can’t imagine the amount of shit people would talk about GNR if the band was breaking in today’s climate. There is no way a prominent white artist could sing the lyrics in one in a million today without consequences. I forgot about the jacket which is super cool to me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I can’t imagine the amount of shit people would talk about GNR if the band was breaking in today’s climate. There is no way a prominent white artist could sing the lyrics in one in a million today without consequences. I forgot about the jacket which is super cool to me.

It is a cool jacket!

14 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

It is a cool jacket!

As Blackstar stated, the only time Axl wore that jacket was for Civil War. I never saw him wear that jacket outside of Civil War and I think it's due to what that song represents. 

36 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I think both right and left have PC culture. If you kneel for the anthem or speak against Trump, snowflake conservatives get all bent out of shape. They forget that the First Amendment applies to BOTH sides. For the left, I disagree with the taking down of statues regarding  Washington. I also think that some on the left will not always speak out for minorities and other groups of people. 

33 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I think you're projecting. I don't think either the term "PC culture" itself or the meaning that is given to it today (mostly by conservatives) even existed then. Maybe conservatives of the time believed that the jacket "represented" them despite the specific stage context in which Axl wore it, but I don't think it was perceived as a "rebellion" by anyone.

16 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

There were consequences and a lot of backlash for OIAM then. Racist slurs were not acceptable back then either.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I don't really get why an artist can't be political. Everybody should have their own political views and really think about it. It baffles me how voting isn't obligatory in the USA yet. You don't have to agree with anybody's political views, but maybe reading somebody's political stance (be it from Axl Rose or from the guy at Walmart) makes you think about your own opinion, that's the main thing here: you SHOULD have one.

Edited by Manfisman
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

I didn't think much of it back then and always saw it as just a costume for Civil War.  If he wore it today he'd be lambasted for it.  PC culture ruins everything in it's path.

19 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I think you're projecting. I don't think either the term "PC culture" itself or the meaning that is given to it today (mostly by conservatives) even existed then. Maybe conservatives of the time believed that the jacket "represented" them despite the specific stage context in which Axl wore it, but I don't think it was perceived as a "rebellion" by anyone.

There were consequences and a lot of backlash for OIAM then. Racist slurs were not acceptable back then either.

Nobody really cared at that time. There was the domestic abuse and wearing a confederate flag as a jacket. And the use of the flag during a song. There is a lot that Axl would take shit for today. Not that I care about those subjects too much.

10 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Nobody really cared at that time. There was the domestic abuse and wearing a confederate flag as a jacket. And the use of the flag during a song. There is a lot that Axl would take shit for today. Not that I care about those subjects too much.

You make it sound as if Axl didn't get shit back then. But he did get a lot of shit about all the things you mention (except for the confederate flag probably, because I guess most people understood it had to do with the presentation of the song).

3 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

So does that mean that its beyond any laypersons scope of concern?

1 hour ago, Draguns said:

As Blackstar stated, the only time Axl wore that jacket was for Civil War. I never saw him wear that jacket outside of Civil War and I think it's due to what that song represents. 

I think both right and left have PC culture. If you kneel for the anthem or speak against Trump, snowflake conservatives get all bent out of shape. They forget that the First Amendment applies to BOTH sides. For the left, I disagree with the taking down of statues regarding  Washington. I also think that some on the left will not always speak out for minorities and other groups of people. 

The song has nothing actually to do with the American Civil War however .. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The song has nothing actually to do with the American Civil War however .. 

No, but probably it served as a metaphor for the contemporary wars and social conflicts.

It should also taken into consideration that at that time the confederate flag was trivialized internationally by/in popular culture like The Dukes of Hazzard. Maybe even kids in the US didn't know much about it and its historical context.

Edited by Blackstar
  • Like 2