Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

3 hours ago, Lio said:

Having grown up with crucifixes, I've never found them disturbing :lol: Only when other people point it out, I can see how messed up it looks to have our Saviour hanging from the cross, bloody and in pain.

The crucifixes are part of Axl clothes too, rarely look he without crucifixes on stage and off stage.

3 hours ago, soon said:

I always figured that his kill your idols shirt kinda shed light onto his interest in crucifixes? Maybe that Axl is the crucified lord?

Hmm... not to me :question:

I thought he despised religion, from the things I remember he told about it and his upbringing, I thought he wasn't religious at all but I don't know what the kill your idols t-shirt means. He wore a couple of t-shirts with Jesus face on back in the day and he also wore a Virgen de Guadalupe t-shirt for the 'Don't Cry' video. I found that a bit strange..... could have been some sort of provocation..... because it doesn't make sense to me.

3 hours ago, soon said:

He was raised Pentecostal and they dont use crucifixes. They more than other denominations would be deeply opposed to crucifixes. It really is a disturbing image. So possibly its a childhood thing were he was fascinated by it but not allowed to explore it?

I didn't know they dont use crucifixes. That's interesting.

Not sure where it comes from but I know he liked to buy cruxifixes every time he came to Latinamerica, as pieces of art. Catholicism is strong here and catholic imagery sells well.

Actually, those crosses, when they don't have the poor Jesus cruxified and bleeding, look kinda cool :lol:... I mean, the ones that are sculpted, made of wood or some other material, they look good as art.
But I still wouldnt want to wear that ancient torture method around my neck. :shrugs:

tumblr_ol7xzs0IZQ1vktbzfo1_1280.jpg

16 hours ago, PhillyRose said:

I love how "figured out" everyone has Trump - I'd love to know what kind of lives ya'll live - Must get old after a while hating everyone who's more successful than yourself huh?

Although that is a bit of a strawman argument, no?  In fact there is quite a bit of deflecting going on there, I feel like maybe as a Trump supporter you are turning a blind eye to the (legitimate) complaints people have with this guy's actions as President thus far

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, killuridols said:

Hmm... not to me :question:

I thought he despised religion, from the things I remember he told about it and his upbringing, I thought he wasn't religious at all but I don't know what the kill your idols t-shirt means. He wore a couple of t-shirts with Jesus face on back in the day and he also wore a Virgen de Guadalupe t-shirt for the 'Don't Cry' video. I found that a bit strange..... could have been some sort of provocation..... because it doesn't make sense to me.

Yes, Im sure he is not into Catholicism. He was deep into New Age for some time at least, if not still.

Whereas a crucifix wouldnt be at all considered an idol by believers, generally speaking from a secular perspective statues of dieties are called "idols." So I wonder if theres an angle about an idol of an "idol" being killed playing into a kill your idols idea. I really do think Axl thought of himself as a martyr, as pop idol who was venerated and then hung out to dry. But Im not sure either.

Id never noticed the Lady of Guadalupe shirt in Dont Cry video. Other then the idea of venerating a women, Mary sometimes being portrayed crying and a reference to heaven in the lyrics there doesnt seem to be much there. Maybe he just digs Catholic imagery? Although the chapel in honour of The Virgin was built where an Aztec shrine to The Mother Goddess Tonantzin had once stood, pre-colonization. A lyric about a break up and hope for future might play into the imagery of 'a new women replacing the old women' in the dc video? haha, Im prolly reading way to deep into it! :lol:

I didn't know they dont use crucifixes. That's interesting.

Outside of Catholicism and most Orthodox, an image of Christ on cross is not utilized by Protestant and Anabaptist churches. Pentecostal are Protestant.

tumblr_ol7xzs0IZQ1vktbzfo1_1280.jpg

His facial expression and body language leads me to think he just likes the dread and ugliness (for some who arent Catholics or Orthodox) that can be seen in the image?

Edited by soon

Fascinating theories @soon I think Axl just likes the imagery of crucifix. He's certainly not alone in that and most that I know who have many in their homes are not Religious. As for his tshirts, today I think he wears them because he likes the graphics on them. But such tshirts that he wore in the early 90's like the Manson and Jesus shirt, I really thought throughout that period he was just seeing what he could get away with wearing. 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Kwick1 said:

Fascinating theories @soon I think Axl just likes the imagery of crucifix. He's certainly not alone in that and most that I know who have many in their homes are not Religious. As for his tshirts, today I think he wears them because he likes the graphics on them. But such tshirts that he wore in the early 90's like the Manson and Jesus shirt, I really thought throughout that period he was just seeing what he could get away with wearing. 

Im really happy you highlighted that there is a community of secular Crucifix collectors. That this isn't some unique Axl eccentricity, but a sub culture. I hadn't really considered that. And I think the general 'he just likes it' or 'he finds it compelling' angle makes a lot of sense (especailly compared to my far out theories, lol).

1 hour ago, soon said:

Whereas a crucifix wouldnt be at all considered an idol by believers, generally speaking from a secular perspective statues of dieties are called "idols." So I wonder if theres an angle about an idol of an "idol" being killed playing into a kill your idols idea. I really do think Axl thought of himself as a martyr, as pop idol who was venerated and then hung out to dry. But Im not sure either.

I'm scratching my head here.... :lol:

Um, the kill your idols t-shirt has a face of Jesus with crown of thorns. I always thought the message was to "stop believing in idols", being Jesus the representative of Catholicism, as the religion that has dominated the world. I would love to know who designed that t-shirt and what is the concept behind. My speculation is that this could be related to Nietzche's Twilight of the Idols, a book that calls for re-evaluation of our values and the 'idols' are the beliefs we hold on to but they are empty things. Nietzche does not believe in the existence of God. Maybe Axl has read Nietzche? :question:

And then some lyrics come to my mind:

Don't hail me an don't idolize the ink
Or I've failed in my attentions
Can you find the missing link?
Your only validation is in living your own life
Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time
So I send this song to the offended
I said what I meant and I've never pretended
As so many others do intending just to please
If I damned your point of view
Could you turn the other cheek?

That verse contains some religious concepts. He asks people to not idolize the 'ink'... I wonder if he means the lyrics or what the press writes? Then he mentions offended ones and turning the other cheek.

And when you say Axl thinks of himself as a martyr, that reminds me of the 'Martyr' t-shirt that he wore sometimes, one that has that word crossed out..... does it mean he doesn't consider himself a martyr or that he doesn't believe in martyrs?
Hard to tell.... :shrugs:

1 hour ago, soon said:

Maybe he just digs Catholic imagery? Although the chapel in honour of The Virgin was built where an Aztec shrine to The Mother Goddess Tonantzin had once stood, pre-colonization. A lyric about a break up and hope for future might play into the imagery of 'a new women replacing the old women' in the dc video? haha, Im prolly reading way to deep into it! :lol:

Yeah, I think you're reading too much into it! :lol:

I think he just liked the Virgin icon, as it is a very common image to be found at Mexicans homes. She is the patron saint of Mexico, so he living in L.A., he's probably seen that image a thousand times in posters, photos, banners, etc.

gu489tvafp4p4u94.jpg

1 hour ago, soon said:

His facial expression and body language leads me to think he just likes the dread and ugliness (for some who arent Catholics or Orthodox) that can be seen in the image?

Lol, maybe he's just pissed off someone's taking his picture :lol:

Edited by killuridols
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I know, that's just too darn meta isn't it? :lol:

Um, the kill your idols t-shirt has a face of Jesus with crown of thorns. I always thought the message was to "stop believing in idols", being Jesus the representative of Catholicism, as the religion that has dominated the world. I would love to know who designed that t-shirt and what is the concept behind. My speculation is that this could be related to Nietzche's Twilight of the Idols, a book that calls for re-evaluation of our values and the 'idols' are the beliefs we hold on to but they are empty things. Nietzche does not believe in the existence of God. Maybe Axl has read Nietzche? :question:

I think its likely that Axl would be intrigued by Nietzche. Even as a person, in addition to his writings. Neitzche suffered a mental breakdown and one might read Axls descriptions of why he was ill-prepared for UYI tour as a mental breakdown. Neitzche even wrote letters to friends after his breakdown which he signed "der Gekreuzigte" meaning "the crucified one." Neitzche is often characterized as having become a recluse towards the end of his life. Lots of room for a connection there.

But yeah, that's what I meant to convey, that the image of the crucifix could be repurposed to say let the idols die. The crown of thorn is part of Christs crucifixion. Neitzches 'the death of God' could be in play for sure.

Theres perhaps no more distilled of a representation of Nihilism in popular rock culture than "I dont believe there is a reason" in Shacklers. Rivaled only by NIN who Axl was really into by this point.

That verse contains some religious concepts. He asks people to not idolize the 'ink'... I wonder if he means the lyrics or what the press writes? Then he mentions offended ones and turning the other cheek.

Huh, I recently quoted from that same section of lyric, too! Yeah, Im not sure either. I think he means his words are the ink, though?

I wont go into detail about the anti-imperial reading of 'turn the other cheek' here. But imo Axl is using it in the incorrect way.:smiley-confused2:

And when you say Axl thinks of himself as a martyr, that reminds me of the 'Martyr' t-shirt that he wore sometimes, one that has that word crossed out..... does it mean he doesn't consider himself a martyr or that he doesn't believe in martyrs?

Good point. Hmmm , if you die as a martyr but are no longer a martyr, it could very well speak to resurrection or rebirth. Which loops back to Christ on the cross...

Haha, a much more plausible explanation! :lol:

Edited by soon

14 minutes ago, soon said:

I think its likely that Axl would be intrigued by Nietzche. Even as a person, in addition to his writings. Neitzche suffered a mental breakdown and one might read Axls descriptions of why he was ill-prepared for UYI tour as a mental breakdown. Neitzche even wrote letters to friends after his breakdown which he signed "der Gekreuzigte" meaning "the crucified one." Neitzche is often characterized as having become a recluse towards the end of his life. Lots of room for a connection there.

I always found Nietzche's writings to be negative or pessimist, like "fuck it all" attitude, but other people say that he wanted to live, that he had a pulsion for life and it was the other philosophers the negative ones. So Iwonder if Axl read Nietzche and what he understood from it....... he is similar to many guys like that, in terms of being a desperate soul, having gone through dark periods of trying to find the way out, soul searching, believing in anything that could bring him happiness..... who knows..... sucks so much Axl doesn't give interviews and opens up about things like that anymore.... that's much more interesting (to me) than the whole Slash feud.

22 minutes ago, soon said:

Huh, I recently quoted from that same section of lyric, too! Yeah, Im not sure either. I think he means his words are the ink, though?

Or maybe he means the Bible? That's a lot of ink idolization! :lol:

22 minutes ago, soon said:

I wont go into detail about the anti-imperial reading of 'turn the other cheek' here. But imo Axl is using it in the incorrect way.:smiley-confused2:

I'm not following....

22 minutes ago, killuridols said:

I always found Nietzche's writings to be negative or pessimist, like "fuck it all" attitude, but other people say that he wanted to live, that he had a pulsion for life and it was the other philosophers the negative ones. So Iwonder if Axl read Nietzche and what he understood from it....... he is similar to many guys like that, in terms of being a desperate soul, having gone through dark periods of trying to find the way out, soul searching, believing in anything that could bring him happiness..... who knows..... sucks so much Axl doesn't give interviews and opens up about things like that anymore.... that's much more interesting (to me) than the whole Slash feud.

Perhaps they both poses that duality? In my limited flirtations with Nietzche he's sometimes brought to mind the 'drunk in the midnight choir' vibe. Sometimes the negativity is an outcome of the purest of intentions, other times its anger that needs to be checked (imho). I think Axl is kinda like that.

Imagine an Axl interview about his views?! That would be incredible!!

Or maybe he means the Bible? That's a lot of ink idolization! :lol:

I think "the ink" intentionally evokes scriptures. But I think he might be applying that concept to either how fans might perceive Axls lyrics or the press.

The Gospels are incredible! :)

I'm not following....

Please just ignore my theological point of order :lol: I just meant I dont agree with his interpretation of 'turn the other cheek.' Its not important, just Bible geek stuff, lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, killuridols said:

And then some lyrics come to my mind:

Don't hail me an don't idolize the ink
Or I've failed in my attentions
Can you find the missing link?
Your only validation is in living your own life
Vicarious existence is a fucking waste of time
So I send this song to the offended
I said what I meant and I've never pretended
As so many others do intending just to please
If I damned your point of view
Could you turn the other cheek?

Yeah, I think you're reading too much into it! :lol:

I think he just liked the Virgin icon, as it is a very common image to be found at Mexicans homes. She is the patron saint of Mexico, so he living in L.A., he's probably seen that image a thousand times in posters, photos, banners, etc.

gu489tvafp4p4u94.jpg

Which is the same look when getting photos taken with fans during nitl tour. Except he looks like a cranky grandpa that looks like someone is on his front lawn.

Edited by Sydney Fan

8 hours ago, weaponsnflowers said:

For fuck sake, the intro speech is not in OMG, it was for the Nu-GNR live shows back in the early 2000's. It's from EXORCIST III. Recited by the great George C. Scott. 

I think they played Oh my god at that show with the intro. 

Whats the quote about? Is it satan talking?

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I kind of know the quote, but why is the character saying he wants everything bad to happen. Is he tricking the demon?

He doesn't say he wants bad things to happen, he just lists all the horrible things in the world and finally has to admit he believes in the demon/satan itself. He starts off as an atheist but because of the things he sees and experiences (as a world weary cop) he has to surrender to the knowledge of the devil being the source of all of it. But it's not like he is happy about it, like he belts out "You son of a bitch!!! I believe... in you".

Edited by weaponsnflowers

29 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

He doesn't say he wants bad things to happen, he just lists all the horrible things in the world and finally has to admit he believes in the demon/satan itself. He starts off as an atheist but because of the things he sees and experiences (as a world weary cop) he has to surrender to the knowledge of the devil being the source of all of it. But it's not like he is happy about it, like he belts out "You son of a bitch!!! I believe... in you".

Thanks that makes sense. But why was Axl using it? 

I just don’t know the movie very well so it’s hard to see why Axl is quoting the Exorcist. Were the shows meant to be an exorcism of the past, all the bad things that happened?

In a half-remembered dream CD II would open with this quote then go into Oh my God. 

On 11/19/2018 at 5:18 PM, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Nobody hated Donald Trump until he ran for President

None of the idiots who now worship like a god gave a single shit about him before he ran for president.

Also, Trump is the worst president in US history. All sane and civilized people know this.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, wasted said:

Thanks that makes sense. But why was Axl using it? 

I just don’t know the movie very well so it’s hard to see why Axl is quoting the Exorcist. Were the shows meant to be an exorcism of the past, all the bad things that happened?

In a half-remembered dream CD II would open with this quote then go into Oh my God. 

Good question. Only Axl knows for sure, but your idea sounds good. It's also a cool intro to a decadent rock band. Maybe Axl was into the duality of good and evil. They did put OMG on the End of Days movie, which is about Arnold Schwarzenegger fighting satan also. With Axl's fascination of crucifixes, this religious battle of light vs darkness also could be a theme here. Actually, here's a quote from Axl about Oh My God, which explains alot: "The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!"

28 minutes ago, weaponsnflowers said:

Good question. Only Axl knows for sure, but your idea sounds good. It's also a cool intro to a decadent rock band. Maybe Axl was into the duality of good and evil. They did put OMG on the End of Days movie, which is about Arnold Schwarzenegger fighting satan also. With Axl's fascination of crucifixes, this religious battle of light vs darkness also could be a theme here. Actually, here's a quote from Axl about Oh My God, which explains alot: "The fight of good vs. evil, positive vs. negative, man against a seemingly undefeatable, undeterrable, unrevealed destiny, along with the personal and universal struggle to attain, maintain and responsibly manage freewill can be and often is frustrating to say the least. In America our country's constitutional right to freedom of expression gives us a better chance to fight for that expression than many in other countries enjoy. It can be a big gig, like kickin' the crap outta the devil!"

I think Axl always got or gets misunderstood for visually or artistically reprrsenting things. Like with Manson,maybe it wasn’t this guy is cool. It was just what he was fascinated with or something. Doesn’t mean he thought he had all the answers. 

Being able to use various images or ideas in art without censorship can help you navigate through everything to fight the good fight. 

True it’s like Axl does believe in the devil. That quote sort of points to that. If you believe in god you also believe in evil. It’s a way to see the world. It’s a point of view. 

But that could be just the parameters of the song. 

I think I read quote by Beta where Axl was always asking was this the right thing to do. He genuinely cares about these kind of things.  

Edited by wasted
  • Like 1

On 11/19/2018 at 11:18 PM, Old_school_gnr_fan said:

Nobody hated Donald Trump until he ran for President, then the liberal media labeled him as "racist" and "misogynistic".

He wasn't much on the radar here in Europe before the election, but he wasn't respected either. People already made fun of him, his business, his TV show and his poor taste.

I don't see the role of the so-called liberal media in this, media is reporting what the fucker is doing / saying. He himself is casting that shadow. Conservative media tries to pass his behavior as normal, that's more an issue to me.

Anyway, I hate to fucker, his policies, his persona, his poor vocabulary, poor thoughts, poor taste so go Axl and more importantly go US, get rid of that idiot. 50% of you voted him in (the fact he has supporters is something I'll never understand) but I have faith that some of those people had a change of heart and he'll be voted out in 2020. And a lot of cleaning will be needed afterwards.

• Like 3
  • GNFNR 1