Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

Not sure why, but it just crossed my mind that I wanted to clarify something:

While I personally couldn't care less what Axl thinks about politics, I can see how and why others do. It doesn't make me any better than someone else just because I don't put any stock into his poltical opinions and they do. Hell... my favorite song writer of all time is Roger Waters and he's made like 90% of his career out of politics.

I don't ever really think about whether I agree or not with Roger's politics. I happen to like how he says a lot of what he says, not necessarlity what he's saying. Again though, politics have always been his thing since roughly 1968. 

With Axl, he's never really been politically active so I've never thought of him as a political artist. I still don't really. Just because he's tweeted a bunch of adverse opinions about the current US President, doesn't mean he's going to turn any of that into art. Should he chose to do so, I'd judge it by the same standard I always have with Roger Waters; it would matter more to me how he's saying something as opposed to what he's saying.

So when I've posted things like "Shut up, Axl" it's meant to mean that I just don't care about him tweeting about politics. If others do, then that's cool. 

• Like 1

Dylan became ''born again''. Shakey started rabbiting on about ''some gay with aids handling your spuds in a supermarket''. Rotten started advertising butter and appearing on bad British reality-tv. If Lennon had lived he would have probably been playing his hits also, and selling Yoko and John action figure ''authentic 1969 bed-in'' sets. Rock musicians are inherently poor people to follow politically. They are too besotted by money for a start, and few are educated to any degree.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

Fear n’ Division by Guns n’ Roses. I like it ! Could be a good title for like a new album or something Axl. 

Agree. Fear n' Division should be the name of the new album  :headbang:

• Like 1

Axl doesn't seem to understand none of the people on Twitter will ever see him like a normal citizen. He's a rockstar. Period. And he picked a much better outlet already with his profession as politics divide people and music connects them, two entirely different things. He's got all the right to voice his opinion, but compared to his lyrics his ramblings on Twitter come across as if a 7-year old made up his mind about politics. Gimme a song like "Civil War" or "Madagascar", I'd be up for that any day. Even an elaborate essay or a good old rant on stage will do if he absolutely has to get it off his chest in public. But for me Twitter just aint the place, shape or form to voice thoughts on topics as complex, deep and important as politics and society.

Edited by adamsapple
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, adamsapple said:

Axl doesn't seem to understand none of the people on Twitter will ever see him like a normal citizen. He's a rockstar. Period. And he picked a much better outlet already with his profession as politics divide people and music connects them, two entirely different things. He's got all the right to voice his opinion, but compared to his lyrics his ramblings on Twitter come across as if a 7-year old made up his mind about politics. Gimme a song like "Civil War" or "Madagascar", I'd be up for that any day. Even an elaborate essay or a good old rant on stage will do if he absolutely has to get it off his chest in public. But for me Twitter just aint the place, shape or form to voice thoughts on topics as complex, deep and important as politics and society.

I agree that he can express his political views in songs. If he wants to do it. I encourage him to go ahead and make an album with political songs. But make an album once and for all! 

We are in the era of social media. Plenty of celebrities have been posting about politics among many things they feeel talking about. Why not Axl?

The contradiction I see is that he says "I'm nobody"  He wants people to believe he is just another concerned citizen. That's not the case. He is a public figure

• Like 1