Axl Political Social Media Post Discussion Thread

12 hours ago, Stress Fracture said:

Whenever Woke Axl tweets, there’s always potential for whataboutery, often from his distant past, but in this instance it’s hard not to think back to Mexico a few months ago when he’s complaining about irresponsibility over large gatherings.

I have to think they were being pressured by legal proceedings if they pulled out... playing that gig was just stupid. I don't think a case would have stood had they pulled out considering it was the eve of the pandemic.

10 hours ago, Padme said:

I agree that he can express his political views in songs. If he wants to do it. I encourage him to go ahead and make an album with political songs. But make an album once and for all! 

We are in the era of social media. Plenty of celebrities have been posting about politics among many things they feeel talking about. Why not Axl?

The contradiction I see is that he says "I'm nobody"  He wants people to believe he is just another concerned citizen. That's not the case. He is a public figure

He is a public figure, but what he is saying is 'just because i'm famous, it doesn't mean i know better than you' and I appreciate when any public figure says that. I can't stand the hollywood people coming out saying their usual babble for the cameras, feigning compassion for the everyman! "We know what's good for you". I don't for a second believe Axl is in still touch with the everyman, but I think he at least remembers what it was like to be broke as shit and having to fend for himself.

There are some people who hate when musicians speak out, and sometimes I hate it too! but in this instance there's nothing here that I disagree with! if leadership isn't going to try and help people then respected musicians and public figures AND normal people have to step in and do what they can! 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

He is a public figure, but what he is saying is 'just because i'm famous, it doesn't mean i know better than you' and I appreciate when any public figure says that. I can't stand the hollywood people coming out saying their usual babble for the cameras, feigning compassion for the everyman! "We know what's good for you". I don't for a second believe Axl is in still touch with the everyman, but I think he at least remembers what it was like to be broke as shit and having to fend for himself.

There are some people who hate when musicians speak out, and sometimes I hate it too! but in this instance there's nothing here that I disagree with! if leadership isn't going to try and help people then respected musicians and public figures AND normal people have to step in and do what they can! 

Totally agree.

I though Twitter was exactly the place to make a stand regarding politics or anything else (I have never used it)  so what is the problem with Axl using this platform.  Interesting in how hhe sees himself as 'nobody' just a normal man, obviously been doing some work reducing the 'rock star' ego.  

Dijon is beautiful, I am a member of the cat society on facebook which is where I saw it first.

17 minutes ago, DurhamGirl said:

Totally agree.

I though Twitter was exactly the place to make a stand regarding politics or anything else (I have never used it)  so what is the problem with Axl using this platform.  Interesting in how hhe sees himself as 'nobody' just a normal man, obviously been doing some work reducing the 'rock star' ego.  

Dijon is beautiful, I am a member of the cat society on facebook which is where I saw it first.

Yeah I'm a cat lover too! and that is a spoiled cat😁 beautiful! 

I expect a long love ballad for the next album and for it to be actually about Dijon.

12 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

He can't avoid this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-rose-political-outspokenness-july-4th-message-1024314/

I understand that Axl explained that he doesn't have a degree in political science. I understand that he is not looking for self promotion. But what he says on twitter ends up in the media if he is making some political statement. I don't disagree with Axl. I just don't think he can say he is nobody

1 hour ago, Padme said:

He can't avoid this.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/axl-rose-political-outspokenness-july-4th-message-1024314/

I understand that Axl explained that he doesn't have a degree in political science. I understand that he is not looking for self promotion. But what he says on twitter ends up in the media if he is making some political statement. I don't disagree with Axl. I just don't think he can say he is nobody

I think his point is that he should be treated as "nobody", his opinion on the administration is no more or less valid than any other US citizen and should be treated as such.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Padme said:

He can't avoid this.

He isn't saying he's nobody, he's saying I'm famous but don't take my words as gospel 'just because'.

I know that when you have a pedestal, people will look at your words and follow because they look up to you. And in this case, there is no harm in him pointing out that people should be wearing masks and trying to protect each other. If he can help get a few more thousand people to wear masks that's good in my book.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Imagine how the GNR group chat looks with Axl and Melissa in the same chat :lol:

Imagine it goes like this.

Melissa: Ax R 2tly 100

Axl: Blu R 1 'n a mill

Duff: typing...

Slash: typing...

Slash has left Chat 

Duff has left chat

That hurt my head to think and type like that. It's harder to understand than Da Vincis notebook 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I still can’t believe Axl gives two shits about who is in office. 

It's not just who is in office as he's obviously going after Trump.  He only attacks Republicans.  If he hit both sides with some criticism I'd be all for it but he went left and stayed there.  Looks more like a left wing agenda than just a concern for his country.  The left has plenty to criticize as does the right.

7 minutes ago, Swampfox said:

It's not just who is in office as he's obviously going after Trump.  He only attacks Republicans.  If he hit both sides with some criticism I'd be all for it but he went left and stayed there.  Looks more like a left wing agenda than just a concern for his country.  The left has plenty to criticize as does the right.

The only thing that truly bugs me about political Axl ... I never took him to be on to raise a flag, especially for the Left ...... I love looking at old pictures of his Confederate jacket ... Except back then it was the hardcore conservatives engaging in the very thing the modern left is today except this time he's apart of it? Just strange ...

49 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

It just feels beyond his scope of concern. 

Why? It's not the first time he's expressed his views, one way or the other, about who is in office.

1988:

1988_059.jpg

1992:

Axl: [...] Anybody here voting? What do you think of politics? It’s really kind of fucked. I did manage to register to vote, but, goddamn, as far as the president is concerned, there’s nobody to fuckin’ vote for. We’ve got Bush, who sold our ass out in the Gulf War for billions of dollars and lots of people killed. We’ve got Clinton, who could bring change, but then we’ve got Al Gore. [...] Al Gore, who - if his wife had her fucking way, we wouldn’t have this goddamn concert tonight. And it looks like there’s a good chance she’s gonna be in a lot more fuckin’ power. I’m not saying not to vote for Mr. Clinton, but, if you want your records in the fuckin’ stores, you’re gonna have to do some fighting for it. [Seattle, WA, USA, October 6, 1992]

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 2020_Intensions said:

The only thing that truly bugs me about political Axl ... I never took him to be on to raise a flag, especially for the Left ...... I love looking at old pictures of his Confederate jacket ... Except back then it was the hardcore conservatives engaging in the very thing the modern left is today except this time he's apart of it? Just strange ...

As far as I know, he wore the confederate jacket mostly (if not only) as part of the on stage presentation of Civil War, exchanging it during the performance of the song with the US flag jacket and a military jacket.

• Like 2