Jump to content
MaskingApathy

Nicole Atkins and Mark Lanegan cover November Rain

Recommended Posts

https://www.stereogum.com/2023303/nicole-atkins-mark-lanegan-november-rain-guns-n-roses/premiere/

image1-1-1542640496-640x640.jpeg

It was raining today when I stepped outside my house in Ohio on the way to my office. It was cold. It was, obviously, November. In other words, the circumstances were perfect for experiencing the timeless power ballad from Guns N’ Roses’ Use Your Illusion I. So what good fortune that Nicole Atkins and Mark Lanegan came through with a new interpretation of that very song, an ideal companion for this pre-Thanksgiving moment when the trees have lost their color and death is setting in.

Atkins and Lanegan’s “November Rain” cover turns the song into a slow-cooking country-rock duet. The Screaming Trees singer’s signature grizzled, gothic baritone makes an ideal complement to Atkins’ sweet high-pitched twang. For that we can thank Atkins’ intuition and some dreams inspired by a stay at a cozy Vermont inn, as she explains via email:

A couple summers ago, I was staying at this really cool Inn I found online in Vermont. It was called Grunberger Haus. A little Cozy Santa cabin made of wood with Thurston Moore record’s on the wall in the lobby. It was a magical retreat in the woods and a total score online from my usual chain hotels I get on tour.

I had some really weird dreams during my two nights there.

In one of them I dreamt that I was in an old tower and I was singing an old ’60s country style duet of the Guns and Roses song “November Rain,” and it sounded awesome. I immediately woke up and sang it into my phone the way I heard it.

When I got back to Nashville, I called a couple friends and went into our friend JD’s home studio and recorded it. Everything came together really quickly.

I still didn’t know who I’d get to sing it with me and then I thought, “well who’s the best loving singer?” For me it’s Mark Lanegan. We became acquainted back in ’06 when he sent me a MySpace message about my demo of my song “Neptune City.” Oddly enough that was the same month I’d just gotten turned onto his “Here Comes that Weird Chill” EP.

Mark and I have been talking about singing together now for over ten years so this seemed like the perfect time to do it. I figured I didn’t have anything to lose by asking and it turned out exactly as I’d pictured.

The best thing with this cover is that I’ll play it and people don’t realize what they’re listening to until 30 seconds in. My dad thought it was a Conway Twitter cover. Then they all go, “Wait, is this November Rain?! I love that song!!!!

For his part, Lanegan writes, “Doing this song was a blast. It combined two of my favorite things: Nicole’s beautiful voice and GNR.” As a listener, I concur: good stuff. Let the late-fall vibing commence.

Check out the duo’s “November Rain” cover below — and if it stokes your hunger for the gnarly Slash solo from the original, stick around for the that too.

 

For me it feels incomplete without the piano and Slash's solos, but I love Nicole Atkins. Been a huge fan for years.

  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds ok that does.

the male/female vocals work well with those lyrics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't know who they are but I like this. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wow I didn't expect Lanagen to be a GnR fan! Awesome!

Neither did I, but not surprised since he had Duff and Slash contribute to Bubblegum.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, donny said:

sounds ok that does.

the male/female vocals work well with those lyrics.

Never thought of it as a duet but it does work well with the lyrics. 

On the Illusion albums and Chinese Democracy, Axl penned lyrics have an internal struggle element to them (feels like two people having a conversation). So I feel many of Axl written songs open themselves up for duets to capture the feeling of the song. 

Axl singing them by himself lends itself to that internal struggle that knowing who Axl is the lyrics make more sense that way, 

Edited by IncitingChaos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Dazey said:

Don't know who they are but I like this. :) 

As for Mark Langegan he done some pretty cool shit...Screaming Trees, Twillight Singers, Mad Season (w/Layne Staley of Alice In Chains).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Wow I didn't expect Lanagen to be a GnR fan! Awesome!

i didnt know that as well, but i knew that he was a fan of the backing vocal abilities of the best backing vocal duo on the history of mankind

check the audio below and see if you can tell who they are!

 

 

 

 

13 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Neither did I, but not surprised since he had Duff and Slash contribute to Bubblegum.

slash?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

i didnt know that as well, but i knew that he was a fan of the backing vocal abilities of the best backing vocal duo on the history of mankind

check the audio below and see if you can tell who they are!

 

 

 

slash?

Izzy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Izzy? 

thats what it says on everything i read about the album, says izzy and duff do backing vocals on strange religion, nothing about slash as far as i know

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ludurigan said:

thats what it says on everything i read about the album, says izzy and duff do backing vocals on strange religion, nothing about slash as far as i know

Thanks, I was simply wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On a somewhat related note, Lanegan did a song with Slash for a movie soundtrack that was never released (‘This is Not a Movie’) I like it, but I remember a lot of people accusing it of being “too cheesy”. Lanegan is the man.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

Cringeworthy!:facepalm:

Thank god for your post.  I listened and I thought "omg, this is horrible!" and all the comments were like "Best GnR cover ever!"  I thought I had a massive stroke and went to hell.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

 “Everything about other people that doesn’t satisfy us helps us to better understand ourselves.” 

Carl Jung 

Huh?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Thank god for your post.  I listened and I thought "omg, this is horrible!" and all the comments were like "Best GnR cover ever!"  I thought I had a massive stroke and went to hell.

Im not even joking. Weird AL could make a better cover than this.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2018 at 12:24 AM, MaskingApathy said:

https://www.stereogum.com/2023303/nicole-atkins-mark-lanegan-november-rain-guns-n-roses/premiere/

image1-1-1542640496-640x640.jpeg

It was raining today when I stepped outside my house in Ohio on the way to my office. It was cold. It was, obviously, November. In other words, the circumstances were perfect for experiencing the timeless power ballad from Guns N’ Roses’ Use Your Illusion I. So what good fortune that Nicole Atkins and Mark Lanegan came through with a new interpretation of that very song, an ideal companion for this pre-Thanksgiving moment when the trees have lost their color and death is setting in.

Atkins and Lanegan’s “November Rain” cover turns the song into a slow-cooking country-rock duet. The Screaming Trees singer’s signature grizzled, gothic baritone makes an ideal complement to Atkins’ sweet high-pitched twang. For that we can thank Atkins’ intuition and some dreams inspired by a stay at a cozy Vermont inn, as she explains via email:

A couple summers ago, I was staying at this really cool Inn I found online in Vermont. It was called Grunberger Haus. A little Cozy Santa cabin made of wood with Thurston Moore record’s on the wall in the lobby. It was a magical retreat in the woods and a total score online from my usual chain hotels I get on tour.

I had some really weird dreams during my two nights there.

In one of them I dreamt that I was in an old tower and I was singing an old ’60s country style duet of the Guns and Roses song “November Rain,” and it sounded awesome. I immediately woke up and sang it into my phone the way I heard it.

When I got back to Nashville, I called a couple friends and went into our friend JD’s home studio and recorded it. Everything came together really quickly.

I still didn’t know who I’d get to sing it with me and then I thought, “well who’s the best loving singer?” For me it’s Mark Lanegan. We became acquainted back in ’06 when he sent me a MySpace message about my demo of my song “Neptune City.” Oddly enough that was the same month I’d just gotten turned onto his “Here Comes that Weird Chill” EP.

Mark and I have been talking about singing together now for over ten years so this seemed like the perfect time to do it. I figured I didn’t have anything to lose by asking and it turned out exactly as I’d pictured.

The best thing with this cover is that I’ll play it and people don’t realize what they’re listening to until 30 seconds in. My dad thought it was a Conway Twitter cover. Then they all go, “Wait, is this November Rain?! I love that song!!!!

For his part, Lanegan writes, “Doing this song was a blast. It combined two of my favorite things: Nicole’s beautiful voice and GNR.” As a listener, I concur: good stuff. Let the late-fall vibing commence.

Check out the duo’s “November Rain” cover below — and if it stokes your hunger for the gnarly Slash solo from the original, stick around for the that too.

 

For me it feels incomplete without the piano and Slash's solos, but I love Nicole Atkins. Been a huge fan for years.

Lost me at  “country duet”, give me any live version 91-93 and the awesome remastered demo( fucking beautiful!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×