Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 92 - Chinese Democracy: A Decade Later (feat. Meltdown and RussTCB)

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I'm actually getting a lot more compliments on this episode than my previous two appearances. Apparently whatever I did on this episode is something I should duplicate in the future lol.

You got points from the closeted Mariah Carey fans of this forum.  

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You got points from the closeted Mariah Carey fans of this forum.  

:lol: I like what I would call "Classic Mariah", personally. However, when I heard about that #JusticeForGlitter thing, I was honestly shocked by it. Seemed like a great thing to weave into a discussion about the popularlity (or lack thereof) with regard to Chinese Democracy. @Gambit83 and Meltdown seemed to disagree haha.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I dunno. CD sounds more like a mixture of Queen, Elton John, NIN and certain film scores to me. 

They certainly do have different influences and sonics.

While I do hear some Elton John on UYI, and could pad a position by pointing to little hints of NIN influence both sonically and lyrically on Garden of Eden and film scoring on NR, I see what you mean about having very different sounds from CD. Whereas May is very precise and measured, Slash was big and very present, with emotionally guided playing. So that alone closed the door on any overt Queen touches on UYI, imho. Although now Yesterdays solo is coming to mind. Anyways...

What I took from the UYI 3 notion is that, like the UYI's progressing on from AFD with the nature of the band intact. The progression from UYI to CD was done in the same manner. A big step forward, but also very much in Guns trajectory. Using AFD to UYI as a comparison, that UYI to CD made perfect sense. Maybe I misunderstood Russ though.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, soon said:

They certainly do have different influences and sonics.

While I do hear some Elton John on UYI, and could pad a position by pointing to little hints of NIN influence both sonically and lyrically on Garden of Eden and film scoring on NR, I see what you mean about having very different sounds from CD. Whereas May is very precise and measured, Slash was big and very present, with emotionally guided playing. So that alone closed the door on any overt Queen touches on UYI, imho. Although now Yesterdays solo is coming to mind. Anyways...

What I took from the UYI 3 notion is that, like the UYI's progressing on from AFD with the nature of the band intact. The progression from UYI to CD was done in the same manner. A big step forward, but also very much in Guns trajectory. Using AFD to UYI as a comparison, that UYI to CD made perfect sense. Maybe I misunderstood Russ though.

That's what I was talking about. Like this is the next step in their evolution. However, CD seems much closer to the vein of UYI then AFD to me. It doesn't seem like that big of a leap forward from UYI, at least to my ears. So that's why it equates to UYI 3 IMO.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

On the booze again I see?

Actually I have a kidney infection. So no booze. But this might be my last post but normally I survive. 

Obviously I don’t mean sound the same. But the riff of Chi dem is very Jungle in reverse. Shackler’s has the Easy voice. Scraped is the My Michelle riff with OTGM lyrics. Better is SCOM played by NIN. Riad - not sure, reviews always said Axl’s vocals were very AFD here. IRS is like Brownstone’s circular riffing. TWAT is the epic ballad version of Paradise City. 

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

Great episode. Didn't realise Russ and Ron were buds. Very cool!

Favourite quote: "You do understand women are allowed to play music in front of people, right? That's allowed." :lol:

There was SO much over reaction on here and other boards when she joined! I'm pretty scarred by those couple of weeks :lol:

• Like 4

On 26/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, Gambit83 said:

Scheduled interviews with Danko Jones this Thursday and Arian Buhler part 2 on Sunday. As always questions welcomed.

Would you ask Arian why didn’t they do lithos for the 2016 Southamerican tour? It was the only leg of the entire NITL Tour that didn’t get lithos. I got the tango one in 2017 (La Plata, ARG with The Who), but they didn’t do any lithos for the first time they came down here. It was pretty disappointing.

Thanks!! 😁

• Like 1