Duff Credited for Oh My God?

2 hours ago, Sweersa said:

There was never an album version. Not yet anyways. A version newer than the 1999 single leaked. It has Buckethead on parts, and Bumble too. Bucket has some great bits, as expected. Hopefully an official release has all of Bucket’s contributions on that track.

Regardless of Axl's claims, the version on the End Of Days version is not a "demo" 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Regardless of Axl's claims, the version on the End Of Days version is not a "demo" 

Do you have a source for that claim? You would think the guy tinkering on the sound for 3 years would be able to ascertain whether the release was a demo or not, no?

IIRC he put it something like "more like a demo". That’s how he perceives it. There may have been other versions, or they wanted to take the song further, who knows. But this is about his point of view at that song which he created. He considers it a demo; the music industry, for its purposes, takes it as a final version song. Simple. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

The source is the fact that it was officially released as a Guns N Roses song. 

Right, but Axl says it wasn’t finished. The story goes Jimmy Iovine wanted a new GnR song on the soundtrack, and Axl did it as a favor to him and because of the history of Arnold & YCBM. Axl and co. were still tinkering with the track up until the last minute.

“Mr. Rose fussed over the song so much that he, Mr. Iovine and studio technicians stayed up until nearly dawn adjusting the final mix, according to people involved." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

"[Oh My God was demo], only at the time having just got it together. Only Jimmy Iovine knew that who wanted it to sell their soundtrack. I saw segments of the movie which were good. As a whole, later, not so much, but it wasn't ready yet then. I did write an experimental piece inspired by the bits I'd seen, called 'Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?'" (Axl, Chinesedemocracy.com, 12/13/08)

2 hours ago, GNR 1991 said:

Right, but Axl says it wasn’t finished. The story goes Jimmy Iovine wanted a new GnR song on the soundtrack, and Axl did it as a favor to him and because of the history of Arnold & YCBM. Axl and co. were still tinkering with the track up until the last minute.

“Mr. Rose fussed over the song so much that he, Mr. Iovine and studio technicians stayed up until nearly dawn adjusting the final mix, according to people involved." (New York Times, 03/06/05)

"[Oh My God was demo], only at the time having just got it together. Only Jimmy Iovine knew that who wanted it to sell their soundtrack. I saw segments of the movie which were good. As a whole, later, not so much, but it wasn't ready yet then. I did write an experimental piece inspired by the bits I'd seen, called 'Daddy Can the Devil do Mommy and me?'" (Axl, Chinesedemocracy.com, 12/13/08)

I know all of that. To me, it's just another situation where Axl makes up excuses for something when it's not successful. If OMG would've been a big hit single, he never would've made that claim. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I know all of that. To me, it's just another situation where Axl makes up excuses for something when it's not successful. If OMG would've been a big hit single, he never would've made that claim. 

No offense but I don't think that that's the case this time.

The proof of that is that the album version mix is almost as good of a quality as a DAT Tape. it's not monaural, but it's almost like it. There's instruments on the song that aren't correctly stereo wised mixed or placed on the correct channels through the track. 

The new version is more properly mixed and sounds less as a demo as the Original Released song, and it's still a demo too. I think that's one of the reasons Tommy Stinson said on an interview that Jimmy Iovine fucked the Chinese Democracy project.

I think that at the time the original version was released, they were still looking to add instruments, sound and making the right mix for the song, and I think they weren't able to do it right away, because the drummer was fired and Dave Navarro wouldn't show up.

Oh My God sounds worst than the first ever Better demo, and that's saying something.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1

Just now, Propaganda said:

No offense but I don't think that that's the case this time.

The proof of that is that the album version mix is almost as good of a quality as a DAT Tape. it's not monaural, but it's almost like it. There's instruments on the song that aren't correctly stereo wised mixed or placed on the correct channels through the track. 

The new version is more properly mixed and sounds less as a demo as the Original Released song, and it's still a demo too. I think that's one of the reasons Tommy Stinson said on an interview that Jimmy Iovine fucked the Chinese Democracy project.

I think that at the time the original version was released, they were still looking to add instruments, sound and making the right mix for the song, and I think they weren't able to do it right away, because the drummer was fired and Dave Navarro wouldn't show up.

Oh My God sounds worst than the first ever Better demo, and that's saying something.

No offense taken :) I hear what you're saying and I don't disagree. It's just curious that Axl never says any of his excuses BEFORE something isn't popular. He's always got tons of excuses after though lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I never said it was. I said it was never on an album. It was released as a single, and included on the film’s soundtrack. I have it on both of the above, and even own the film End of Days on Blu-ray. It’s clear (not from an audio quality standpoint lol) the 1999 version of the song was far from polished, and rushed, though yes, it was an official release. Seemed poorly mixed too, but perhaps the overall rough quality was intended. I like the original solo far more than Bumblefoot’s horrible solo on the leaked, updated version. 

The soundtrack for that movie is excellent, far more enjoyable than the movie itself. Haha 

Edited by Sweersa

1 minute ago, Sweersa said:

I never said it was. I said it was never on an album. It was released as a single, and included on the film’s soundtrack. I have it on both of the above, and even own the film End of Days on Blu-ray. 

The soundtrack for that movie is excellent, far more enjoyable than the movie itself. Haha 

The movie isn't that bad either. For an Arnold movie, it's one of his best, in my opinion. The plot isn't that bad either. 

1 minute ago, Propaganda said:

The movie isn't that bad either. For an Arnold movie, it's one of his best, in my opinion. The plot isn't that bad either. 

Maybe I need to watch it again. I thought it was corny. I thought the plot was OK, though. Definitely several steps below the Terminator films IMO 

21 hours ago, Sweersa said:

Maybe I need to watch it again. I thought it was corny. I thought the plot was OK, though. Definitely several steps below the Terminator films IMO 

Yeah comparing to The Terminator it's clearly a long shot. Terminator 1 and 2 were his Classics. End of days is a good movie though. The guy that plays the Devil was a great actor.

Oh Axl apologists.....

If a song gets released on an official album and doesn't have the word "demo" in the title, then it is not a demo. It is a master and completed song.

If a different version would ever be released, it would be called a "re-release" or "remix"

A song in a major release film isn't going to include a "rough cut" of a song.....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Stoymatic said:

Oh Axl apologists.....

If a song gets released on an official album and doesn't have the word "demo" in the title, then it is not a demo. It is a master and completed song.

If a different version would ever be released, it would be called a "re-release" or "remix"

A song in a major release film isn't going to include a "rough cut" of a song.....

See that's how I've always felt about it. I didn't realize I was in the minority. 

• Like 1