Happy 10th Anniversary to Chinese Democracy!

24 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

I agree on the latter.

I believe GNR needs someone like Buckethead or Bumblefoot (from a style and abilities standpoint) to tackle those types of solos. Slash is great for his, and Robin's solos or the slower BH/Bumblefoot solos like in Sorry and Catcher.

I listened to a Hybrid GN'R version of Sorry recently. I agree Slash does alright on that one. 

So it's weird, I feel like Axl understood that some of the songs might have been a little overproduced. For example, when playing Sorry live, he seemed to sing with his normal singing voice, instead of going a little higher-like on the record (and without the doubling and tripling of his voice. That's what Sorry should sound like on the record, imo, rather than what we got. Is that just me?

4 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

So it's weird, I feel like Axl understood that some of the songs might have been a little overproduced. For example, when playing Sorry live, he seemed to sing with his normal singing voice, instead of going a little higher-like on the record (and without the doubling and tripling of his voice. That's what Sorry should sound like on the record, imo, rather than what we got. Is that just me?

His vocals aren't doubled or tripled on Sorry ... The chorus features Axl singing with a mid-range voice with Sebastian Bach falsetto'ing overtop & even a mixed layer of them both in the middle .. And Bach's high singing is still being played in this live performance BTW 

Edited by PhillyRose

15 minutes ago, PhillyRose said:

His vocals aren't doubled or tripled on Sorry ... The chorus features Axl singing with a mid-range voice with Sebastian Bach falsetto'ing overtop & even a mixed layer of them both in the middle 

Well either way, there's a load of production in the vocals; and (even despite the fact that they play the background vocals live) Axl just sings it normally live, with the same timbre and range he sings Don't Cry with. Personally it sounds 10,000 times better that way

19 hours ago, vloors said:

I just read this and wow they have A LOT of unreleased stuff. If in 1999 there were 70 songs recorded thats crazy. Slash and duff must have had a lot to listen to. Can't imagine how much stuff is just sitting there 19 years later

22 minutes ago, Gunsdrummer63 said:

I just read this and wow they have A LOT of unreleased stuff. If in 1999 there were 70 songs recorded thats crazy. Slash and duff must have had a lot to listen to. Can't imagine how much stuff is just sitting there 19 years later

Fortus said there are probably enough tunes for 3 or even 4 albums. Even back in 1999 May said there were 2 albums with vocals, Dizzy said there's a shitload of material and Duff confirmed recently Axl got a zillion tunes. I wouldn't be surprised if there are 50 completed tunes. All things con, sounds about right for 20 years.

A trilogy would be greatly appreciated but a double album could work too.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

I hope that these CD II and III vocals are up to snuff, stuff that could be built upon by Slash and Duff. Fortus, Slash could definitely make a good studio tandem if they have the right sound for the guitars.  I want thicccccc slash TSI and Appetite tone. Mixed with good arrangements and the cut-down cohesion that CD tracks have with the current-line up could make for a kick-ass record!

On 24/11/2018 at 12:06 AM, RussTCB said:

It's insane how bad the pressings are. Such a shame! 

Tbh I'm not much of a vinyl guy, but I always thought that was one of the rare albums that sounded just as good on vinyl as it did on CD, with the exception of the usual quality deterioration on the inner tracks. It's amazing that it sounds as good as it does on vinyl, considering how much was packed into the mix. 

Bob Ludwig did an amazing job at mastering that beast.

22 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Tbh I'm not much of a vinyl guy, but I always thought that was one of the rare albums that sounded just as good on vinyl as it did on CD, with the exception of the usual quality deterioration on the inner tracks. It's amazing that it sounds as good as it does on vinyl, considering how much was packed into the mix. 

Bob Ludwig did an amazing job at mastering that beast.

Wait... What? That's totally backwards lol. I own thousands of LPs and Chinese Democracy is hands down the absolute worst sounding record I own. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I love it as much now as I did when I heard the first demos and when I bought it 10 years ago. I'm just too close to it to give an unbiased opinion I think. I wanted to love it because I love Axl and wanted him to hit a home run and in my mind he did. But I know in saying that I have a definite side, just like a lot of the haters who blamed Axl solely for the breakup of the band weren't going to like this at any cost.

Tough to get a clear unbiased read on the album but I find myself relistening over and over again. Job well done for all involved and I appreciated the effort.

I'll tell you something from the time of the release that never sat well with me though. When the November 2008 rolling stone magazine came out they gave it 4 out of 4 stars with the headline reading "the most anticipated album of all time and Axl made it worth the wait". A glowing song by song breakdown that was super complimentary. Then about 2 months later on the rolling stone website if you searched for the Chinese Democracy review it linked to a 2.5 star lukewarm review by a different writer. WTF!?

I remember reading around that time that Axl had written an in depth piece about his side of the original lineup's implosion and what it took to rebuild and rolling stone had told him whenever he was ready to put it out they would make space. I've always assumed they did that bait and switch review bullshit because of something in relation to that. Maybe Axl told them it was done and to clear their schedule then pulled back or something like that.

Anyone remember this?

9 minutes ago, Fourteenbeers said:

Happy 10th anniversary, CD! 

3097458614_d45f35765a.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen that pic. I always remember one with them outside of Best Buy holding their copies. 

That picture also reminds me of how bummed I was was I went into Best Buy and saw that was what they meant by "monumental promotion" lol 

6 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

I don't think I've ever seen that pic. I always remember one with them outside of Best Buy holding their copies. 

That picture also reminds me of how bummed I was was I went into Best Buy and saw that was what they meant by "monumental promotion" lol 

I found it here about an hour ago:  

• Like 1

On 24/11/2018 at 3:26 AM, RussTCB said:

Just played it straight through for my usual crowd in Friday nights. For many people it was their first time hearing anything off of it. 

Heaps of praise of course. 

I love your album nights. I don't think I know anybody in my life who'd be willing to sit and listen to an entire album I love beginning to end, other than my long-suffering wife. 

On 24/11/2018 at 3:26 AM, RussTCB said:

Just played it straight through for my usual crowd in Friday nights. For many people it was their first time hearing anything off of it. 

Heaps of praise of course. 

I love your album nights. I don't think I know anybody in my life who'd be willing to sit and listen to an entire album I love beginning to end, other than my long-suffering wife. 

23 minutes ago, Towelie said:

If you ever happen to be in my area, you're more than welcome to come by. We've had quite a few folks from the forum join us over the years.