Happy 10th Anniversary to Chinese Democracy!

11 hours ago, Liquor & Whores said:

In Poland we got it 2 days earlier than in the US, 21.11, don't remember about rest of Europe, though

When I went to record shop on the release date in Canada, the owner was mocking me and also informed me that he had been selling CD for weeks already because "the asshole kept you idiots waiting long enough!" :lol:

I don't know if its common for record shops to get the albums that far before the release date?

19 hours ago, soon said:

When I went to record shop on the release date in Canada, the owner was mocking me and also informed me that he had been selling CD for weeks already because "the asshole kept you idiots waiting long enough!" :lol:

I don't know if its common for record shops to get the albums that far before the release date?

Very common yes.  I used to get everything at my old shop at least 4 days before release.  Those were the good ol days.  I miss going to that shop a lot...

Think I shared this story on here before, but I used to make a frequent joke whenever anyone would say "You're going to kill yourself doing _____" I would tell them that I wouldn't die until I heard the new Guns N Roses album...

I had heard leaks and such, but on a long drive home, listening to the actual CD for the first time, on This I love, I lost control of my Mustang doing 70+, spun around several times, slid about 150 yards or so, and came to a stop a few feet from the guardrail.  No damage to the car, no injuries.  I didn't think of it in the moment, it was some time after, I was like "Oh fuuuuuuck."  So I don't say shit like that anymore.

Chinese Democracy, the album that almost killed me.

• Haha 1

I remember flying to Hong Kong for it’s release. I thought it came out on the 23rd. So I went down to the HMV on the 22nd to check the shop was still there (families are always rising and falling in America am I right?) and I walked in and there was a display with it already there, so I got it. I didn’t wait until the actual release date, I thought what the hell. It was kind of an anti climatic because I was planning on getting worked up about it the next day. I did get my day in the sun later. I went somewhere like Thailand and again I went looking for the music shop. As I walked in the intro started up on cue, they knew wasted was in the building. Anyway I spent an hour or so putting CD in front Motely Crue albums and listening to the album on huge speakers. 

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

Very common yes.  I used to get everything at my old shop at least 4 days before release.  Those were the good ol days.  I miss going to that shop a lot...

I see. Thanks for letting me know. So I imagine you got to listen to some new releases early yourself? I will be hounding my record store peeps from now on!

1 hour ago, imsorry said:

So lots of ppl got it before the release date and only the mexican guy leaked it in 128 kbps he was on dial up uploaded one by one it took hours to finnish  rofl

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I think those files started being shared around Monday or Tuesday that week.

I was all excited because the record was being released on Sunday but Universal was hosting an album release party in Detroit the Thursday before. So I wasn't too stressed about the low quality of those files because I was going to get to hear the whole album at the release party.

Then Thursday morning came and my CD and LP were delivered early by Best Buy LOL. I heard the delivery guy and thought "What the fuck do we have being delivered today??". Then I looked at the package and was like "NO SHIT! IT'S HERE EARLY!"

I listened to the album all day that Thursday and went to the release party anyway. The local radio station WRIF had a DJ there doing GNR trivia for prizes and of course I fucking crushed everyone else haha. I made a deal with them that I'd give back all the prizes (just WRIF swag, etc) so they could give it to other people in exchange for getting put on the stations open bar tab.

A deal was made and the rest of my night was glorious haha.

• GNFNR 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Do you guys think if Axl chose CD era vocals to be used on a new album that he would pick ones that haven't been leaked or heard; or do you think something like Checkmate would still be a possibility?

who knows, but my guess is Checkmate aka the Jackie Chan leak is too short to be a factor in Axl deciding on using it on an album or not. Also, he said that fans didn't really like the clean vocals on Chinese so it will be interesting to know what the approach will be: rerecord finished vocals just cause they're clean or keep the vocal track as is on unreleased Chinese tunes and how raspy it will get on new tunes.

personally, I enjoy both the rasp and clean vocals and I think it depends on the tune.

Edited by Rovim

IF we get a new album, using 20 year old vocal recordings would be a fucking joke. I hope Axl gets his ass into a studio and records new stuff.

Of course, at this point anything is welcome. I don't mind Slash and Duff using Bucket/Robin/Tommy parts as long as they re-record them. But using the same vocal takes from 1999 on a 2020/21 album would be sad, and would ruin the whole thing IMO.

9 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

IF we get a new album, using 20 year old vocal recordings would be a fucking joke. I hope Axl gets his ass into a studio and records new stuff.

Of course, at this point anything is welcome. I don't mind Slash and Duff using Bucket/Robin/Tommy parts as long as they re-record them. But using the same vocal takes from 1999 on a 2020/21 album would be sad, and would ruin the whole thing IMO.

not sure what I prefer when it comes to rerecording vocals. what if the vocals are great? is it a good enough of a reason to rerecord a vocal track just cause it's old as shit? I don't know.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

not sure what I prefer when it comes to rerecording vocals. what if the vocals are great? is it a good enough of a reason to rerecord a vocal track just cause it's old as shit? I don't know.

Yeah, that's a good point. I would agree to have old vocals from the CD2 "big guns". But I think that having an entire record of 20 year old vocals is not very legitimate. Having at least half the record with fresh vocals would be something.
Axl has been using some new singing techniques that are not on what we heard from the Chinese era, for example the voice he uses on The Seeker (kinda resembles to his Down On The Farm voice, but still). Or even that "demon voice" he used on Better in 2017. 

However, there must be some top notch vocals on the vault aswell. I expect some raspy If The World-esque vocals, or the screaming parts that we hear on the The General clip. So I agree with you, it would be a shame to not use some of those parts. It's having a whole record with old vocals what upsets me.

Edited by GNRfanMILO

48 minutes ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Yeah, that's a good point. I would agree to have old vocals from the CD2 "big guns". But I think that having an entire record of 20 year old vocals is not very legitimate. Having at least half the record with fresh vocals would be something.
Axl has been using some new singing techniques that are not on what we heard from the Chinese era, for example the voice he uses on The Seeker (kinda resembles to his Down On The Farm voice, but still). Or even that "demon voice" he used on Better in 2017. 

However, there must be some top notch vocals on the vault aswell. I expect some raspy If The World-esque vocals, or the screaming parts that we hear on the The General clip. So I agree with you, it would be a shame to not use some of those parts. It's having a whole record with old vocals what upsets me.

I don't believe the entire potential Guns record would consist of just unreleased chinese tunes, rerecorded or reworked. my guess is Axl will want to include totally new tunes as well which will of course include new vocals.

I trust Axl to create a convincing hybrid of old and new vocals if that's what he wants to do. If The World vocals couldn't be improved upon imo. He nailed that.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

IF we get a new album, using 20 year old vocal recordings would be a fucking joke.

I have long wondered what we would fight over if GnR released a new album.  I was thinking it would be "it's good vs. it's bad"  But I wasn't sure what we would battle over if the album was just flat out amazing.  Now I know.

Calling it now, 10k plus threads on when the vocals are from.  

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GNRfanMILO said:

Axl seemed happy with the scream on Soul Monster. I don’t think he will throw out vocals or songs he’s happy with. Slash will probably rework 6-8 tracks then there might 4-5 newly recorded songs like Shackler’s, Scraped, Sorry were which will have new vocals. If they have a brain they will bring back Izzy for a song. 2 covers. And get some Axl orchestra tracks on there

12 Songs 

Jackie Chan

Soul Monster

Berlin

Atlas Shrugged

New Slash-Duff-Axl Song

New Slash-Duff-Axl song

New Slash-Duff-Axl song

New Izzy-Axl song

The Seeker

Wichita Lineman

Axl Orchestra 1 

Axl Orchestra 2

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RussTCB said:

My memory is a little fuzzy on this but I think those files started being shared around Monday or Tuesday that week.

I was all excited because the record was being released on Sunday but Universal was hosting an album release party in Detroit the Thursday before. So I wasn't too stressed about the low quality of those files because I was going to get to hear the whole album at the release party.

Then Thursday morning came and my CD and LP were delivered early by Best Buy LOL. I heard the delivery guy and thought "What the fuck do we have being delivered today??". Then I looked at the package and was like "NO SHIT! IT'S HERE EARLY!"

I listened to the album all day that Thursday and went to the release party anyway. The local radio station WRIF had a DJ there doing GNR trivia for prizes and of course I fucking crushed everyone else haha. I made a deal with them that I'd give back all the prizes (just WRIF swag, etc) so they could give it to other people in exchange for getting put on the stations open bar tab.

A deal was made and the rest of my night was glorious haha.

lucky bastard hehee, i dont remember the date when its happened even a forum was created for this ... hhaha

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wasted said:

Axl seemed happy with the scream on Soul Monster. I don’t think he will throw out vocals or songs he’s happy with. Slash will probably rework 6-8 tracks then there might 4-5 newly recorded songs like Shackler’s, Scraped, Sorry were which will have new vocals. If they have a brain they will bring back Izzy for a song. 2 covers. And get some Axl orchestra tracks on there

12 Songs 

Jackie Chan

Soul Monster

Berlin

Atlas Shrugged

New Slash-Duff-Axl Song

New Slash-Duff-Axl song

New Slash-Duff-Axl song

New Izzy-Axl song

The Seeker

Wichita Lineman

Axl Orchestra 1 

Axl Orchestra 2

Replace Wichita Lineman with The General and we’re good.

• Like 1

Beltrami worked on Seven and I'd want at least one Izzy tune. If Izzy won't be a part of it, I'd throw in Down By The Ocean as well. If Axl asked Izzy for it must be an AAA track.

Edit: Seven is an Axl orchestra tune so that's on the wasted list already. so just Down By The Ocean and it's cool. The General also with an orchestra? there's also Leave Me Alone according to Beltrami. A Big win is coming.

Edited by Rovim

16 hours ago, DeadSlash said:

Think I shared this story on here before, but I used to make a frequent joke whenever anyone would say "You're going to kill yourself doing _____" I would tell them that I wouldn't die until I heard the new Guns N Roses album...

I had heard leaks and such, but on a long drive home, listening to the actual CD for the first time, on This I love, I lost control of my Mustang doing 70+, spun around several times, slid about 150 yards or so, and came to a stop a few feet from the guardrail.  No damage to the car, no injuries.  I didn't think of it in the moment, it was some time after, I was like "Oh fuuuuuuck."  So I don't say shit like that anymore.

Chinese Democracy, the album that almost killed me.

Haha, well I'm glad you survived! Over a decade ago I lost control of my Ford Ranger on an icy highway while listening to a leak of The Blues. For a while after, that part of the song where it happened freaked me out a bit. I ended up in the grassy valley between both directional lanes. I remember the power cut off completely, then resumed when the Ranger stopped sliding.

On the subject of the Chinese Democracy store display, I recall my local Best Buy having one.  What great memories! Would be awesome to have that display.

• Like 1

Just now, Sweersa said:

Haha, well I'm glad you survived! Over a decade ago I lost control of my Ford Ranger on an icy highway while listening to a leak of The Blues. For a while after, that part of the song where it happened freaked me out a bit. I ended up in the grassy valley between both directional lanes. I remember the power cut off completely, then resumed when the Ranger stopped sliding.

On the subject of the Chinese Democracy store display, I recall my local Best Buy having one.  What great memories! Would be awesome to have that display.

That's pretty crazy because that is almost exactly how mine went down.  It had snowed like 3 days earlier, but the roads were dry, then out of nowhere, it was a massive patch of ice covering both lanes.  I slid as far as I did without hitting anything because it was an extremely wide grassy divide between lanes.

We need a PSA on not listening to this album in inclement weather, in a Ford.

19 minutes ago, ApacheChief42 said:

Replace Wichita Lineman with The General and we’re good.

I suppose I’ve avoided The General (The Blues), Seven (Madagascar), Thyme (There was a Time), Leave Me Alone (Prostitute). 

I haven’t seen much about Zodiac, Quick Song, Ides of March which were all confirmed as real titles. 

There’s also a theory that Jackie Chan aka The General aka No Love Remains?