Happy 25th Anniversary to The Spaghetti Incident!

On 24.11.2018 at 12:42 PM, Len Cnut said:

The problem is that they tried to do an album of punk covers but like...highly produced.  Half of the power of songs like New Rose and Raw Power and Human Being is how fuckin' raw and loose the original recordings were, they fuckin' ruined em as covers.  Guns never seemed to know what their strengths were...covering punk songs is not one of them.  SIDHU was great.

Agree and I thought the same way once but then I started to listen to those covers as hard rock songs. And in my opinion they work very well as hard rock songs. Still not as good as the originals but good. 

And I agree with @metallex78, too, when he says Ain't It Fun is even better than the original. It is by far better.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

What was the shit phase, CD? I don’t believe you can call any phase of their actual recordings as shit.

I really don't like Spaghetti Incident - I'm sorry. I never liked it in 1993 when I bought it as a kid, and dislike it today. It is borderline unlistenable. They then followed that up with yet another cover, a dreary rendition of the Stones' masterpiece, ''Sympathy for the Devil''.

I always dug this album, it is just a fun jam out album.  I don't consider it trying to be anything but just a quick project filled with songs they dug and wanted to have fun with

My favorites are Black Leather, Human Being, and Ain't It Fun

As said in this thread too that I totally agree with it that production wise it sounds fantastic.  Matt's drums sound more in line with the GNR sound than he did on the Illusions, Axl kills it vocally, Slash's guitar parts sound meaty and heavy, etc.  

• Like 3

I guess there are life long fans who dont really like anything by Guns since 91? That must suck! I always saw CD being like the Star Wars prequels to some fans, but I guess its more like 93-99 is prequels and CD is The Last Jedi.

But c'mon, even the kazoos have amazing production value on TSI?!!!

20 minutes ago, soon said:

I guess there are life long fans who dont really like anything by Guns since 91? That must suck! I always saw CD being like the Star Wars prequels to some fans, but I guess its more like 93-99 is prequels and CD is The Last Jedi.

But c'mon, even the kazoos have amazing production value on TSI?!!!

More like Star Wars The Holiday Special. 

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Better than anything on TSI and CD. 

Oi! Too far! :lol: The harp on Life Day is as good as TIL. But our Princess, dazzling and skilled as she was, would need a lot of that Baz auto tune. Then maybe we're in Hair of the Dog territory...

Edited by soon

I might have a very different opinion that others on this one.

The Spaghetti Incident is a very cool album in various aspects. First time I listened to TSI, we had no internet and I got to know punk scene by this album. It was also financially beneficial for some of those punk legends.

Also the sound quality (or engineering?) of the tracks is much much better than UYIs.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, metallex78 said:

As far as I know there is zero Izzy on TSI. I read an interview with Gilby at the time where he was so stressed out about redoing Izzy’s parts, but pretty much implied he replaced them all. 

If this is true.. While Gilby did a  fine job, it is a real damn shame...

We are talking about old albums, which isn't a bad thing but...

Why aren't we talking about the Alan Niven inside info that was on Mitch Lafons podcast from a week or whatever ago?

Has there not been a thread made about what he said? "Axl in the studio sifting through old Chinese material for a new album"

Just now, Stoymatic said:

Why aren't we talking about the Alan Niven inside info that was on Mitch Lafons podcast from a week or whatever ago?

Has there not been a thread made about what he said? "Axl in the studio sifting through old Chinese material for a new album"

Because this is a thread about the TSI anniversary... And because a large portion of the fan base though CD and it's era was dog shit.. Nothing about Axl sifting through that stuff excites me.. Now if they handed the music that Slash, Izzy, Suff and Matt wrote prior to VR to Axl and let him have his way with that material it would be very exciting... 

I think this is a cool thread for a cool and often forgotten about album. I know it has inspired me to dust it off and give it a complete listen from front to back.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Because this is a thread about the TSI anniversary... And because a large portion of the fan base though CD and it's era was dog shit.. Nothing about Axl sifting through that stuff excites me.. Now if they handed the music that Slash, Izzy, Suff and Matt wrote prior to VR to Axl and let him have his way with that material it would be very exciting... 

I think this is a cool thread for a cool and often forgotten about album. I know it has inspired me to dust it off and give it a complete listen from front to back.

Instead of creating a new thread, I thought I would ask if there had been one made 1st.

TSI is a decent album. A lot of people dislike the album for having all covers, or saying all the songs are s*it. I disagree.

There are some solid covers on the album. My personal favorite is "Attitude"

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Stoymatic said:

I dont believe a thread has bern created about it🤔. My only issue with niven is believing whats true and whats not.

22 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

I really don't like Spaghetti Incident - I'm sorry. I never liked it in 1993 when I bought it as a kid, and dislike it today. It is borderline unlistenable. They then followed that up with yet another cover, a dreary rendition of the Stones' masterpiece, ''Sympathy for the Devil''.

It’s a shame you find it unlistenable, to me it’s a fantastic sounding, fun, covers album, full of energy. But I can see how it wouldn’t appeal to some. 

And I rank it higher than CD in that I can listen to TSI every now and then and enjoy the hell out of it.

CD, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it, and even then I can’t make it all the way through without having to turn it off, from the emotional weight of it all.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

It’s a shame you find it unlistenable, to me it’s a fantastic sounding, fun, covers album, full of energy. But I can see how it wouldn’t appeal to some. 

And I rank it higher than CD in that I can listen to TSI every now and then and enjoy the hell out of it.

CD, I have to be in a certain mood to listen to it, and even then I can’t make it all the way through without having to turn it off, from the emotional weight of it all.  

I think one of the main problems is Guns effectively went from pomposity - diva on-stage tantrums, supermodel girlfriends, rock god guitarists with splayed legs soling over cliff-top edges, ten minute epic video/ballads with million dollar productions - to saying, ''(oh grunge has hit so) look at us, we're a snotty punk band also''. It was about as unconvincing as one can fathom, and fundamentally who would you rather hear play these songs: the genuine ''British snot'' in The Clash or Illusion era Guns shorn of Izzy?

17 hours ago, moreblack said:

I think it would have flowed better with someone else on drums, Sorum was very meter-accurate, and polished as a player. And that doesn't really work for punk covers.

I dunno man, punk drumming kind of requires being really nailed on and precise.  I mean there's so little of it, there's not a lot of room to be frivalous or imprecise with it.

fundamentally who would you rather hear play these songs: the genuine ''British snot'' in The Clash or Illusion era Guns shorn of Izzy?

*raises his hand really high*

oh oh, please sir, can i answer sir, please sir! :D

• Haha 1