Happy 25th Anniversary to The Spaghetti Incident!

5 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

I dunno man, punk drumming kind of requires being really nailed on and precise.  I mean there's so little of it, there's not a lot of room to be frivalous or imprecise with it.

On the other hand, you can get too on the meter and suck all the swing and the dirt out of the song. And I feel Sorum does on this album. Works for Estranged and Coma, but not so much for Raw Power or Attitude.

On 29/11/2018 at 8:48 PM, DieselDaisy said:

I think one of the main problems is Guns effectively went from pomposity - diva on-stage tantrums, supermodel girlfriends, rock god guitarists with splayed legs soling over cliff-top edges, ten minute epic video/ballads with million dollar productions - to saying, ''(oh grunge has hit so) look at us, we're a snotty punk band also''. It was about as unconvincing as one can fathom, and fundamentally who would you rather hear play these songs: the genuine ''British snot'' in The Clash or Illusion era Guns shorn of Izzy?

I never saw TSI as that though. Guns N’ Roses we’re paying tribute to the bands that made them who they are, some punk, some hard rock, some glam, and apparently doo-wop as well (SIDHY) and performed them in complete Guns N’ Roses style - big fat rock n roll band with big fat production. And going back to and listening to the originals, I prefer the GN’R versions.

I think anyone wanting a garage sounding recording of TSI is missing the point of the songs being covered by GN’R in the first place.

• Like 1

Yes I have noticed some people hate this albums' guts, however, I like this album alot. : ) 

Since I Don't Have You, Human Being and Ain't It Fun are my favorite tracks on this album; I love the whole album, however these rise above. After listening to Chinese Democracy (the album) for the first time on November 23, 2018, I for some reason remembered that this album was also released on the same day (different year, of course), and decided to play it for the 300th time (why not). : )

• Like 2

7 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I never saw TSI as that though. Guns N’ Roses we’re paying tribute to the bands that made them who they are, some punk, some hard rock, some glam, and apparently doo-wop as well (SIDHY) and performed them in complete Guns N’ Roses style - big fat rock n roll band with big fat production. And going back to and listening to the originals, I prefer the GN’R versions.

I think anyone wanting a garage sounding recording of TSI is missing the point of the songs being covered by GN’R in the first place.

I'm not even much of a punk fan and I cannot concur. 

The only member with the correct level of veracity to make this record bona fide was Stradlin and they deleted his guitars!

Edited by DieselDaisy

The vast majority of the bands covered are punk or else fit the simplistic rock n roll template of punk i.e. they were early precursors to punk such as T Rex and The Dolls (T Rex you could argue were kinda the definition of glam but then glam had a big effect on punk also).  And you may have a point with your closing comment however you could also look at it like covering those garage rock sounds as a big fat rock n roll band with big fat production is missing the point of why those songs were powerful and part of what TSI was about was kinda showing what was cool about these songs. 

Took me many years to appreciate the album but today I think it's among their best produced records, second only to AFD.

The sound is exceptionally tight and Axl's vocals were outstanding. 

I was also the one to decode the message on the cover of the album, some ten years back, on this forum. So there's a little bit of pride and nostaglia involved.

gun-n-roses-zodiac-killer-code-spaghetti

• Like 4

I liked TSI as a teenager when it came out. It was a nice punkrock album and as I love hardrock and punkrock it was fine for me. 

my favourite songs are Attitude and Raw Power! really cool songs! 

I dont like CD at all! so looking back TSI was the last album where I enjoyed GNR musicl.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

• 1 month later...
On 25/11/2018 at 5:39 AM, Ninjapie24 said:

I still like TSI, and Binge & Purge is fucking incredible. My personal favorite Metallica concert is Seattle 89, but the others are good too.

That exact concert was what got me into Metallica. 

They played for whom the bell tolls on beavis and butthead and I was hooked.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:43 AM, appetite4illusions said:

Took me many years to appreciate the album but today I think it's among their best produced records, second only to AFD.

The sound is exceptionally tight and Axl's vocals were outstanding. 

I was also the one to decode the message on the cover of the album, some ten years back, on this forum. So there's a little bit of pride and nostaglia involved.

gun-n-roses-zodiac-killer-code-spaghetti

How did you come up with fuck em all?

On 1/17/2019 at 9:41 PM, Bitchisback said:

How did you come up with fuck em all?

It was shortly after the David Fincher movie Zodiac had been out and I had seen it a few times and really enjoyed it.

Afterwords, I was looking on the internet of the actual ciphers the Zodiac had mailed the various newspapers. Back then, he wrote a message for the papers using that cryptology and some people were able to crack it. They provided a code key so everyone could track the Zodiac's message and how the characters broke down into letters. I picked one out of pure chance and it happened to be the code that was mailed to The San Francisco Examiner.

Image result for zodiac cipher san francisco examiner

So, when I looked on the code key, I matched the characters

spaghetti incident zodiac

It ended up reading fuckemall. I remember, tilting my head sideways and actually thinking that it didn't make sense, before it dawned on me what it actually read. I kind of went stupid for a second. But it was exciting because I felt like it was an obvious message that the whole world had the opportunity to solve and up to that point, it seemed like it hadn't.

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, appetite4illusions said:

It was shortly after the David Fincher movie Zodiac had been out and I had seen it a few times and really enjoyed it.

Afterwords, I was looking on the internet of the actual ciphers the Zodiac had mailed the various newspapers. Back then, he wrote a message for the papers using that cryptology and some people were able to crack it. They provided a code key so everyone could track the Zodiac's message and how the characters broke down into letters. I picked one out of pure chance and it happened to be the code that was mailed to The San Francisco Examiner.

It ended up reading fuckemall. I remember, tilting my head sideways and actually thinking that it didn't make sense, before it dawned on me what it actually read. I kind of went stupid for a second. But it was exciting because I felt like it was an obvious message that the whole world had the opportunity to solve and up to that point, it seemed like it hadn't.

So cool man, thanks for explaining it 🙏

Missed this thread. Echo others on here - production quality is just fantastic. Much better than the Illusions. In fact, I wish the Illusions had Spagetti Incident sound quality. 

TSI is also my fav guns album to listen to while working out and running.  Ain’t It Fun, Black Leather, New Rose, and I Don’t Care About You def get me amped on the treadmill 🏃‍♂️🤘

16 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

That's a great movie btw. 

On 12/6/2018 at 1:51 AM, Natty said:

I dont like CD at all! so looking back TSI was the last album where I enjoyed GNR musicl.

Same here and that was 25 years ago!!!!

On 1/17/2019 at 9:52 PM, NOVEMBER COMA said:

Loved it then & still love it now. Underrated. Hair of The Dog & The Game for me. 

I am actually surprised they never played Hair Of The Dog love.. It was a great cover. It used to get a decent amount of airplay where i live too. 

On 20/01/2019 at 9:02 AM, Tom-Ass said:

Same here and that was 25 years ago!!!!

I am actually surprised they never played Hair Of The Dog love.. It was a great cover. It used to get a decent amount of airplay where i live too. 

Only airplay in Australia was Since I Don't Have You which is in the bottom 3 tracks on the album IMO. I remember a black & white commercial promoting the release with a snippet of Hair of The Dog showing Axl live on an outdoor stage which I thought was weird at the time as it was sung live maybe 3 times but never on UYI tour. Great song.  

• Like 2

On 1/20/2019 at 10:25 AM, Propaganda said:

I wish they did an entire album of songs written by them with that style of punk rock vibe! Axl's voice really sounds great on that album!

Its unfortunate they didnt do a little club and theatre tour to promote it, but i love the prodcution on the album.

• Like 2

Bought 2 copies on release day from a local record store.  The guy HATED GnR and gave me shit from the day I told him I wanted him to hold 2 copies.

I also got this on vinyl, being orange and all.  I ended up getting all of the GnR catalogue on vinyl, but this was the first.

Interesting side note:

The reason I stopped going there was because he threw me out of the store after we had a huge argument about the Asphalt Ballet version of "Crash Diet."  He kept saying it was Axl on vocals and I was young enough that I couldn't let it slide. 

2 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Am I right in saying that Izzy is present on about half the tracks? Looking at @zombux list and reading Gilbys comments It seems those recorded during UYI have Izzy on them?

yes, I think so. the older recordings have Izzy, sometimes with Gilby added (or replaced? not sure), the later recordings obviously only Gilby.

amIrite?

Edited by zombux