Happy 25th Anniversary to The Spaghetti Incident!

32 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Typical Len 

:lol:

Mate if I'd've had the money I'd've paid for it but I didn't and there it was goin' for gratis, thats too much temptation for an 11 yr old to handle.  In fact I think I did buy it after that, Lord knows I blasted enough money on CDs once I got a job and could afford it, for a while there thats all my money went on, weed and CDs and fags and kebabs and drinks.

On 26/11/2018 at 4:53 PM, DieselDaisy said:

Illusion would be the last decent album. Illusion would in fact be both the last great and last decent album as Guns never really went from great to average in a similar manner to Black and Blue era Stones. Guns went from great to shite, bypassing the average stage altogether.

Black and Blue was brilliant and so was that era.

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I am not saying it isn't good but there is a definite appearance of rigor mortis once we move from Let It Bleed/Sticky Fingers/Exile period into It's Only Rock N' Roll/Black And Blue era.

Nah their ain't, that band is fuckin' quality throughout the 70s and the 80s too.  Dirty Work and Steel Wheels, alright, it ain't THAT Stones but take em as albums, as a collection of songs, listen to em a couple of days on the trot and tell me they don't have you nodding along.  And 70s, fuckin' quality all the way through, you can always pick a best or pick your favourites but rigor mortis?  Fuck that, that band are incomparable in terms of the high quality of their output over a prolonged period.  You can't expect every Ali fight to be like Cleveland Williams. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

Nah their ain't, that band is fuckin' quality throughout the 70s and the 80s too.  Dirty Work and Steel Wheels, alright, it ain't THAT Stones but take em as albums, as a collection of songs, listen to em a couple of days on the trot and tell me they don't have you nodding along.  And 70s, fuckin' quality all the way through, you can always pick a best or pick your favourites but rigor mortis?  Fuck that, that band are incomparable in terms of the high quality of their output over a prolonged period.  You can't expect every Ali fight to be like Cleveland Williams. 

Come on! Shove Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed up against Black And Blue and there is a demonstrable decline. They were poncing around with disco mid-late '70s. 

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Come on! Shove Sticky Fingers or Let it Bleed up against Black And Blue and there is a demonstrable decline. They were poncing around with disco mid-late '70s. 

There's a difference sure but decline?  That is a bit much, they had a REALLY quality run of three albums but just cuz the rest are very very good and not top drawer historically fuckin' excellent its a bit much to call that a decline, though strictly speaking it is but decline kind of puts in your mind this notion of them turning shit, its just too much to expect them to shit diamonds every time, its setting a standard that no group of musicians could possibly live up to and it does a disservice to quality work like Black and Blue and Only Rock n Roll or Some Girls because you sort of stop judging them on their merits alone but rather where they belong on this weird scale. 

12 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Well that is rather my point.

If there was any band today that could stick out a black and blue or an its only rock n roll or a goats head soup or a some girls or even an emotional rescue I'd be right fuckin' behind that band and they'd be the best fuckin' rock n roll band we've had since fuck knows when.  None of this is to contest your point, just an aside. 

Just now, Len Cnut said:

If there was any band today that could stick out a black and blue or an its only rock n roll or a goats head soup or a some girls or even an emotional rescue I'd be right fuckin' behind that band and they'd be the best fuckin' rock n roll band we've had since fuck knows when.  None of this is to contest your point, just an aside. 

Just to give this a bit of perspective I'd rank Black and Blue higher than any Guns N' Roses album. But Goats Head is in my top five. That album is sublime. I don't know why people disparage it. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

Just to give this a bit of perspective I'd rank Black and Blue higher than any Guns N' Roses album. But Goats Head is in my top five. That album is sublime. I don't know why people disparage it. 

I completely agree, apart from Mr D that album don't have a bad track on it and at its best its tracks can stand alongside their best work.  I mean Winter, fuck me, quality, Heartbreaker, Angie, Silvertrain, Hide Your Love, Starfucker, I'm just naming the whole album here.  You rate Black and Blue over Appetite?  Good, then you know what I'm talkin' about.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

I completely agree, apart from Mr D that album don't have a bad track on it and at its best its tracks can stand alongside their best work.  I mean Winter, fuck me, quality, Heartbreaker, Angie, Silvertrain, Hide Your Love, Starfucker, I'm just naming the whole album here.  You rate Black and Blue over Appetite?  Good, then you know what I'm talkin' about.

I love ''Mr Deyh''. One of the most apt tracks for Jagger impressions. You cannot compare anything by Guns to the Stones. There is simply no comparison.

On 24/11/2018 at 9:42 AM, Len Cnut said:

The problem is that they tried to do an album of punk covers but like...highly produced.  Half of the power of songs like New Rose and Raw Power and Human Being is how fuckin' raw and loose the original recordings were, they fuckin' ruined em as covers.  Guns never seemed to know what their strengths were...covering punk songs is not one of them.  SIDHU was great.

What?

10 minutes ago, Legendador said:

What?

Its shit basically.  A big high powered well produced well polished rock n roll band trying to do dirty punk covers don't work.  I ain't trying to diss Guns here I'm just saying that covering that kinda shit ain't their forte.  They sound a lot better and it fits their MO a lot better trying to cover stuff like Jumping Jack Flash or AC/DC type stuff, something with a little bluesy-ness to it too perhaps, they can't cover stuff like New Rose, Slash is a high quality guitar hero, you can't get guys like that to accurately replicate three chord downstrumming, easy though it is it requires an amateurish earnestness that people like Slash are way beyond.  Same with Raw Power, those guys ain't fierce enough to do that song justice.  To put it more politely I don't think Guns doing an album of punk covers is them playing to their strengths...especially those punk covers.  Weirdly enough I Don't Care About You sounded pretty good but thats cuz it has an American sleazebag touch to it that kinda fits into Guns n their thing.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its shit basically.  A big high powered well produced well polished rock n roll band trying to do dirty punk covers don't work.  I ain't trying to diss Guns here I'm just saying that covering that kinda shit ain't their forte.  They sound a lot better and it fits their MO a lot better trying to cover stuff like Jumping Jack Flash or AC/DC type stuff, something with a little bluesy-ness to it too perhaps, they can't cover stuff like New Rose, Slash is a high quality guitar hero, you can't get guys like that to accurately replicate three chord downstrumming, easy though it is it requires an amateurish earnestness that people like Slash are way beyond.  Same with Raw Power, those guys ain't fierce enough to do that song justice.  To put it more politely I don't think Guns doing an album of punk covers is them playing to their strengths...especially those punk covers.  Weirdly enough I Don't Care About You sounded pretty good but thats cuz it has an American sleazebag touch to it that kinda fits into Guns n their thing.

Well, to me TSI is better than Chinese Democracy! Yep, I said it! :bitchfight:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, NOVEMBER COMA said:

Only airplay in Australia was Since I Don't Have You which is in the bottom 3 tracks on the album IMO. I remember a black & white commercial promoting the release with a snippet of Hair of The Dog showing Axl live on an outdoor stage which I thought was weird at the time as it was sung live maybe 3 times but never on UYI tour. Great song.  

They used to play Ain't It Fun a bit around here too. 

15 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

I love ''Mr Deyh''. One of the most apt tracks for Jagger impressions. You cannot compare anything by Guns to the Stones. There is simply no comparison.

The Disco stuff is brilliant.  I have a theory about The Stones, if its groove based and has its roots in black music The Stones have an instinctive knack for that shit, I don't know why, it don't make sense racially speaking but its there :lol:  And Disco was kinda like groove with all the periphery removed, sort of like Funk, it zeroes into the core of the rhythm and makes it big.  Hip Hop does a version of the same actually but some would argue it goes too far into the rudiments and you just end up with drums and not a lot else.  Not an idea I subscribe to but its out there.  There's a reason why funk and disco figure so heavily in the birth of hip hop.  The Stones kinda find the thread that ties things like Funk and Disco back to the blues, after all what was the blues musically speaking but black guys kinda turning things like guitars into percussion instruments making this super rhythmic super simple (relatively anyway!) style of music. 

9 minutes ago, Legendador said:

Well, to me TSI is better than Chinese Democracy! Yep, I said it! :bitchfight:

I wouldn't argue with you there :lol:

14 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

Its unfortunate they didnt do a little club and theatre tour to promote it, but i love the prodcution on the album.

I believe that was the initial plan. I can't remember who but either Axl or Slash had said that and I think the other didn't want to do it? I can't remember the exact details. 

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Am I right in saying that Izzy is present on about half the tracks? Looking at @zombux list and reading Gilbys comments It seems those recorded during UYI have Izzy on them?

I really wish we could get a definitive answer as to what songs Izzy was on if any.

34 minutes ago, DieselDaisy said:

and Reggae

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

much better

much, MUCH better.

I kinda agree with Len, the real punk songs on Spaghetti sound a bit fake and forced with Guns, if you look at the album too seriously. Stuff like Hair of a dog sounds more natural.

If you just take it for what it is, it's a fun record with some great performances. I like it alot! 

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MAXITO said:

I would say that there has not been another band paying tribute to its roots in the way Guns dis with that album........Also sound great to me, a shame they did not promote it.

Metallica BY FAR are the band who pay tribute to their roots the most - Garage Inc, numerous other covers and even flew in folk from Britain who were in fairly minor bands to perform songs with them!

That said, TSI is a really good album which is unfairly maligned.

1 minute ago, F*ck Fear said:

I like a few tracks off the album, but nothing that gets played a lot.

It's definitely Guns N' Roses worst album.

Ill give them a pass as its a cover album. The worst to song would be sympathy for the devil. Mainly the harmonies are the worst.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

I like a few tracks off the album, but nothing that gets played a lot.

It's definitely Guns N' Roses worst album.

I listen to it more than Lies, and CD, so it doesn’t rank as the worst for me

Edited by metallex78