MyGNR International Guitar Tone Shootout Super Championship Grand Prix Competition of 2018 Unofficial Competition Thread

Welcome to the sequel to 2014's universally lauded and acclaimed Tone Contest (this will be the official shortened nomenclature for "MyGNR International Guitar Tone Shootout Super Championship Grand Prix Competition of 2018 Official Competition"). I'd like this thread to only be submissions, so if you have clarifying questions or concerns, either PM me or post in the thread ZoSoRose made.

Rules & Regulations:

- This time there will be three categories for submission: Clean | Crunch | High Gain

- You can submit one, two, or three different recordings, but only one per category. Each category will be independently judged, but it will be possible for one participant to win multiple categories. 

- Tracks should preferably be recorded specifically for this competition. They should not be full band and/or mixed recordings, and I would suggest keeping them under 1 minute. Recording method is up to you, and while judges will try to parse recordings fairly, it helps to have a decent quality recording.

- You can use effects (only in your instrument's signal chain when playing, not post-production in your DAW), but I would caution against using many effects like chorus, flanger, tremolo, etc.. While these effects can sound good, they tend overpower the instrument's natural tone. 

- Any mixing past changing volume levels and using a high pass or low cut filter is not allowed. Guitar tracks may be doubled, but not layered any further than that. However, you can record lead over rhythm, and that will not count as your doubled rhythm track. So to make this clear, the maximum amount of tracks you can have in your DAW is three: rhythm guitar one, rhythm guitar two, lead guitar.

- Submissions can be done via whichever platform you prefer, but they must be web-hosted and publicly accessible (you can make a private link for the submission: Bandcamp, Dropbox, SoundCloud, etc.). Participants will post the link(s) in this thread to submit. If you record a video, please upload it to YouTube.

- When you post your submission, make sure to note the gear used in the recording.

- Submission Period: 11/30/18 - 12/14/18

- Judges: Rovim, SoundOfAGun, WAR™, OmarBradley

Good luck!

Edited by OmarBradley
  • Like 4

Ok here we go. 

I did all the tracks in pretty much one take without a metronome so there is a lot of sloppy playing, but you can hear the tones just fine. The tracks are all about 2-3 minutes so forgive me! 

Everything was recorded with my 2013 Gibson Les Paul Signature T (has a '57 Classic in the neck and a '57 Classic+ in the bridge) into my Line 6 Helix LT. I'll go over what went into each patch in the individual submissions. Each patch has several EQ and compressors for low/high cut editing, and various other things. Pickup changes and volume and tone knob adjustments were done throughout each recording. Even though I use a wah and pitch shifting a lot I opted not to use them for this competition to let the "natural" tones shine through more. 

1. CLEAN

For the rhythm tracks on everything in my clean submission I used the Line 6 Litigator amp through a Vox impulse response (basically a cabinet simulator). The Litigator amp is based on a low to mid gain boutique amp, sort of like a Dumble. For the lead track, I used a Dr. Z Route 66 through the same Vox. I added a tiny bit more of chorus and a clean boost based on an EP Boost to the lead channel. There is a little bit of delay, reverb, and a TINY bit of trem and chorus on each track to thicken the tones up. 

2. CRUNCH

This one was easy. Its just one track of me messing around. I used the bright channel of a Marshall Super Tremelo with a Tube Screamer at the front and some tape delay after the cab. I used a 4x12 Greenback speaker cabinet IR simulator. I love using the Marshalls and making them punchy and scratchy with more treble and the bass rolled off. Superb for classic rock but they really work great for any kind of rock music, they cut through a mix great. Cleans up great with a volume knob, too. I used the Super Tremelo instead of a normal Plexi because its a little more trebly, and its allegedly the AfD amp so I lean towards it. 

3. HIGH GAIN

I used a few different amps for this. The first half of the recording is just me playing mindlessly through a Marshall JCM 800 with a Tube Screamer, delay, and reverb through the 4x12 Greenback stock cab. For the second half, I did a little jam. For the rhythm track I kept everything the same but swapped the JCM 800 out for a Peavey 5150. For the solo I used a completely different patch. The amp was a Soldano SLO 100, the cab was a 1968 Marshall IR, and there was some delay and reverb thrown into the mix, as well. 

Thanks for listening!

Edited by ZoSoRose
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

I used a Gibson Les Paul 2017 Tribute Goldtop plugged into a Marshall DSL15H and a Randall 4x12 cab. I used the Ultra Gain channel with low gain for the crunch take, Ultra Gain with relatively high gain for the high gain take, and the Classic Gain channel for the clean take. Went a little overboard with the time for the high gain take :lol:

Keep in mind I'm a kid living in a dorm, with no professional recording equipment, and trying my best not to piss off the others living here :shades: 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, AslatIE said:

I used a Gibson Les Paul 2017 Tribute Goldtop plugged into a Marshall DSL15H and a Randall 4x12 cab. I used the Ultra Gain channel with low gain for the crunch take, Ultra Gain with relatively high gain for the high gain take, and the Classic Gain channel for the clean take. Went a little overboard with the time for the high gain take :lol:

Keep in mind I'm a kid living in a dorm, with no professional recording equipment, and trying my best not to piss off the others living here :shades: 

Excellent! You nailed the Great Pretender tone! 

• Thanks 1