New GN'R Release Coming In 2019? **RUMOR THREAD**

6 minutes ago, Apollo said:

He had a band of soldiers that stood by his side for the last decade to 15 years or whatever it is. Why replace them for guys he didn’t feel had his back?

Why? For the better of the band. The quality of the performances suffers from the current lineup. They aren't terrible but could be and should be so much better. The CD era was the lowest and darkest era GnR ever had. Sure it has a cult following but they should have just drained the swamp. 

19 hours ago, DieselDaisy said:

For me I place the 1985-93 era on a pedestal so that even the most insignificant persona from that era holds a loftier position than the most significant of personnel that joined the band post-1993.    

The classic era is like the football team who won the domestic league and Champions League. Historic time for the club. Then you have the NuGuns era, which is akin to being stuck in the second division. They pushed for promotion once or twice, but only in 2016 did they make it back to the top flight! Even then, the team is not as good as their earlier heyday but it does have its moments.

And it's only natural to remember those who were around in the golden times more than those from when you were in purgatory.

• Like 2

It is impossible to compare the period up to 1993 with anything that followed, either Nugnr or NITL. Guns were a proper ''functioning'' band back then who wrote material and released albums (five in seven years). There wasn't this big weird ''Area 51'' media blackout. There were music videos released often. Band members freely gave interviews.

Everything after 1993 has been a colossal sack of excrement. Rose took that band and completely destroyed it. 

• Like 4

On 20/12/2018 at 1:08 PM, shotsfired cro said:

what makes you think anyone outside this forum knows who Fortus is!? The guy is 50 and outside Ax bands played villages in Germany with Nena playing 99 Luftbaloons night after night.

Actually youre wrong, before joining GNR Fortus was playing with major artists and doing great for what he was, a session musician. He was already a successful and demanded session player, the fact you dont know what a session musician is doesnt make Fortus less sucessful. 

He wasn't known to the public because thats how session musicians generally operate, they do the jobs they're hired for and that's it. 

Not saying he's better or worse than Gilby (technically yes), just saying he was far more sucessful than Gilby would ever dream of hadnt he joined GNR. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, default_ said:

Actually youre wrong, before joining GNR Fortus was playing with major artists and doing great for what he was, a session musician. He was already a successful and demanded session player, the fact you dont know what a session musician is doesnt make Fortus less sucessful. 

He wasn't known to the public because thats how session musicians generally operate, they do the jobs they're hired for and that's it. 

Not saying he's better or worse than Gilby (technically yes), just saying he was far more sucessful than Gilby would ever dream of hadnt he joined GNR. 

Yep he did lead guitar work for Rihanna. Watch from 2:30 onward to save yourself.

Edited by Billly B

In regards to people saying we should be grateful for the reunion and not to expect new music... Seeing Axl n Slash onstage together again would've been great if they didn't both sound like ass.

The best we can hope for is a 'new' album with 15-20 year old vocals and Slash erasing as little of Bucket and Robin's original work as possible.

On 19/12/2018 at 2:31 PM, Alejandro GNR said:

Just look what Axl did with Slither...in my opinion a good song, but Axl's melody in the chorus took it to a better place. And that's just a tiny arrangement he did.

Damn straight. The original is a great song, but Axl's take on the vocal melodies gave it that GN'R swagger that was missing.

1 hour ago, Billly B said:

Yep he did lead guitar work for Rihanna. Watch from 2:30 onward to save yourself.

The next GN'R single needs to be a duet with Axl and Rihanna, with Melissa on full production duties.

Plus serious riffage and solos from 4tus, and maybe he'll let Slash back him up with a few rhythm parts here and there.

So what if Fortus played with Rihanna and did session work for N'Sync? Not everyone can be a rockstar right off the bat, not everyone makes it. It's apparent that Fortus is a rock'n'roll guy, so I think it's actually pretty cool that he maybe swallowed his pride and probably said "hey, this pop stuff isn't what I was aiming for, but at least I get to play and pursue my dream". That's real passion for music. And for that, he deserves to be in Guns N' Roses.

And also, doing session work and playing different genres is really beneficial for musicians. It makes you a better player. So no shame in that.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 3
  • GNFNR 1

9 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

So what if Fortus played with Rihanna and did session work for N'Sync? Not everyone can be a rockstar right off the bat, not everyone makes it. It's apparent that Fortus is a rock'n'roll guy, so I think it's actually pretty cool that he maybe swallowed his pride and probably said "hey, this pop stuff isn't what I was aiming for, but at least I get to play and pursue my dream". That's real passion for music. And for that, he deserves to be in Guns N' Roses.

And also, doing session work and playing different genres is really beneficial for musicians. It makes you a better player. So no shame in that.

It doesn't make his playing sound any better in Gn'R

27 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

My toughts exaxtly. He did extremely well even before joining GNR, people who says he was a zero just because he wasnt on a major band are clueless, aside from session work, he was also on The Eyes that had contract with Sanctuary if I recall and still plays packed clubs eventually. 

As if he sounds good with GNR, thats purely a matter of tastes. I love his timbre and the way he plays, I really enjoy his solos. He might be a little over the top performance wise, but as far as old videos Ive seen of him, he was always like that so.. 

Id love to see how he would do on new material. 

I cant really chose between him and Gilby even tho I love Pawnshop Guitars. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Apollo said:

What does he complain about? His band not releasing the music they created? 

“Complains too much” indicates a large body of complaints. Can you share 6-7 times he “complained” about band items?

He didn’t fit the GnR “aura”....but a pink haired rave girl as the 2nd keyboard player did? When you think of Guns N Roses, what comes to mind is a 2nd keyboard player, who has rainbow colored hair, who can’t say a sentence with using Rad and Lit.....that screams Guns N Roses to you?

As for Gilby and Matt and who is in GnR now. It seems more simple than some people are making it out to be. 

GnR was short a bass player and guitar player. Duff was available and Axl was perfectly comfortable using him. 

With Duff back and GnR still needing a guitar player....feelers were sent out if Slash would have any interest in coming back. 

And the rest is history. GnR didn’t need a drummer, they had one (Frank). 

It seems like Axl had zero interest in putting the old GnR back together. He didn’t want a GnR reunion. He had a band of soldiers that stood by his side for the last decade to 15 years or whatever it is. Why replace them for guys he didn’t feel had his back?

Axl had a group of musicians that he liked. And he had an opening for a bass player and guitar player. He made the most perfect choices he could make - Slash and Duff. 

And tried to throw Adler and Izzy a bone so they could be involved. It just didn’t work out. 

Let's call the things their real name.

Ax was trying to put together an album with lik 60 musicians in 15 years and - failed.

He toured that album with 80% old stuff for 10 years and outside of US or London sold 2300 on the average. Hired hands could help creat any interest and he ran out of money to pay them monthly checks so he used Duff to get Slash.  Knowing the world wants Ax/Duff/Slash combo, he offered pieces to Izzy, Adler and obviously Gilby (whenn Iz walked out).  

Adler was out for whatever reason, so he continued with Frank, who is not same league as Sorum, Freese or whoever.

Now this is where his beef with fans is.  Once he spared money on Iz, he continues on with F&F, instead of hiering Matt and Gilby, on behalf of the quality.

He a) knew he really needs Slash and Duff to sell tickets  b) played out to be really cheap bastard in they eyes of the fans.

If fans can't have the A team (although Adler is in most fans eyes not A team),  give them the second best.  Gilby is not worse than Fortus and overall much better fit than Fortus

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It doesn't make his playing sound any better in Gn'R

Matter of taste. I for one like him. There might a few things he could be a bit more subtle about, but overall he, in my opinion, fits Guns really well. To my ears he and Slash play great together and mesh.

51 minutes ago, Edward Nygma said:

What do you guys think GNR recorded in the sessions after Spaghetti Incident? I'm talking about like the timeline between the end of 1993 till Slash officially left in mid 1995.

As noted, material ended up on Its Five O’clock Somewhere and Gilby has confirmed that Ain’t Goin Down was being worked on as he left the band. I’m sure Duff had material but not sure if any of that went in his other projects?

There is always reference to the lost album of the mid-nineties although unsure exactly what material was actually recorded?

Edited by DTJ80

1 hour ago, Edward Nygma said:

What do you guys think GNR recorded in the sessions after Spaghetti Incident? I'm talking about like the timeline between the end of 1993 till Slash officially left in mid 1995.

I believe it would be somewhere in the middle of Illusions and AFD with maybe a little industrial imput by Axl and a grungier/Alice in Chains approach. 

• Like 1

On 12/20/2018 at 4:25 PM, Tom-Ass said:

Why? For the better of the band. The quality of the performances suffers from the current lineup. They aren't terrible but could be and should be so much better. The CD era was the lowest and darkest era GnR ever had. Sure it has a cult following but they should have just drained the swamp. 

Bro I agree 100% that if he was going to bring Slash and Duff back he should have had a real reunion. Not just half of one. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, default_ said:

Gilby is actually extremely popular and respected by musicians in the rock world. He has more work - and offers - than he can keep up with. 

Gilby has his own studio and is constantly helping and working with artists on their music. 

Fortus is a great guitar player. But Gilby does it all. Guitar, writing, producing, mixing, etc. 

• Like 2

On 12/20/2018 at 3:26 AM, vloors said:

Shame i did think 4tus did the acoustic and rhythm on lock n load. Oh well the other tracks he did with the daisies are still good. I really liked their first album with jon stevens on vocals. 

here's the answer to Fortus being on lock and load from an interview he did: 

https://bobschallau-wordpress-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/bobschallau.wordpress.com/2017/08/12/interview-guns-n-roses-guitarist-richard-fortus/amp/?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fbobschallau.wordpress.com%2F2017%2F08%2F12%2Finterview-guns-n-roses-guitarist-richard-fortus%2F

Did you play on The Dead Daisies song “Lock ‘N’ Load” with Slash?

No, that was recorded before I was in the band. I wouldn’t do that out of respect to Axl – not that he would make a big deal out of it. But after all the shit that’s gone down between those two guys it would be a real slap in the face. Slash wanted to sit in when I was with Thin Lizzy and I told Scott Gorham, the other guitar player, ‘If Slash wants to sit in he can use my gear, my amp, and my guitars.’ But just out of respect for my friend I can’t stand on the same stage with Slash. And nobody asked me to do that, it’s just a personal thing. And it’s no slight to Slash, he’s one of the greatest guitar players ever. I just can’t do it out of respect for my friend  

• Like 1

I think Fortus loves Slash and it seems like sharing a stage with Slash is living the dream for him. Fortus said this is the best line up of Guns he was ever a part of as well.

I think they both share real musical chemistry. if they ever get around to doing a record it could be killer. I still think if Izzy helps out it could be even better.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 3