New GN'R Release Coming In 2019? **RUMOR THREAD**

7 hours ago, Apollo said:

Gilby is actually extremely popular and respected by musicians in the rock world. He has more work - and offers - than he can keep up with. 

Gilby has his own studio and is constantly helping and working with artists on their music. 

Fortus is a great guitar player. But Gilby does it all. Guitar, writing, producing, mixing, etc. 

I believe we were talkin "No one would ever know who Fortus is havent he joined GNR" 

Everything you quoted was achieved by Gilby AFTER the GNR years, Im pretty sure havent he joined GNR he would still be sleeping in sunset strip piss like he was before joining. And no shame on that. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Apollo said:

Gilby is actually extremely popular and respected by musicians in the rock world. He has more work - and offers - than he can keep up with. 

Gilby has his own studio and is constantly helping and working with artists on their music. 

Fortus is a great guitar player. But Gilby does it all. Guitar, writing, producing, mixing, etc. 

He does it all besides being recognized in public lol 

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

There is always reference to the lost album of the mid-nineties although unsure exactly what material was actually recorded?

There was enough material that the band were rehearsing for a TBA tour to promote an upcoming album release (according to Chinese Whispers), which Axl scrapped after things went tits up because (paraphrasing from memory) "no one could play those blues riffs like Slash did". He compared the material to Aerosmith's Rocks. He wanted to do the album to keep Slash happy, and it was only after he left that Axl decided to go into mad scientist mode.

Surely there's at least a few songs from that project that can be polished up for a new album...

Edited by Azifwekare
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Rovim said:

I think they both share real musical chemistry. 

I just don't see or hear it at all.. Slash's playing was better with Izzy, Gilby and his solo band. By most accounts Slash was playing better than he ever had prior to the NITL tour then he took an obvious step back.  Then he was playing out of his mind again during that last solo tour.  Not saying Slash was a slouch during the NITL tour. He still was and will continue to be the highlight of every show but he still seems to lose a step with this lineup at times. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

There was enough material that the band were rehearsing for a TBA tour to promote an upcoming album release (according to Chinese Whispers), which Axl scrapped after things went tits up because (paraphrasing from memory) "no one could play those blues riffs like Slash did". He compared the material to Aerosmith's Rocks. He wanted to do the album to keep Slash happy, and it was only after he left that Axl decided to go into mad scientist mode.

Surely there's at least a few songs from that project that can be polished up for a new album...

Interesting! Also - absolutely crazy that no material has ever leaked of this recording timeline!

4 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Fortus also commented that he was working on a Slash song for GN'R some years ago as well...

23 hours ago, Chester 524 said:

I agree.  Gilbys website says he did 9 shows in 2018.  unless he walked to each gig, not sure how in demand he is in. 

I didn’t say he was overwhelmed with doing shows. I specifically mentioned that Fortus was a great guitar player, but Gilby was known for his studio work  

He has a recording studio that is in constant use by other artists. He is in high demand for his producing work. Some goes uncredited on albums, as it’s often a matter of Gilby helping out friends.  An example would be a band writing and recording an album. They are stuck on a song or are in a rut. So they go spend a day or two with Gilby and he helps them work through the issues with the song. 

Gilby is extremely respected in the rock world. The only place I ever read criticism of him is on GnR forums.

This would be an odd thing to lie about...but it’s ok, my feelings won’t be hurt if you don’t believe me. 

• Like 1

I’m reading one of the GnR books and there is a quote from Axl pre-Illusions release where he said that he is writing lyrics for eight songs that Slash submitted. 

I apologize if this is common knowledge. But do people know what Illusions songs those were? I’m assuming Coma is one. The other seven are?

6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wait... What? Is there something I'm missing? I don't think I've ever heard anything close to that about the CD riff. 

Some people believe that the fact that Slash played the same chords in a somewhat similar rhythm as part of a jam back in '88 somehow proves that Slash actually wrote that riff. It's just a coincidence as far as I'm concerned. GN'R played 400+ shows between 1985 and 1993 so it really isn't that crazy that those three chords would be played in a similar pattern in one of those jams.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wait... What? Is there something I'm missing? I don't think I've ever heard anything close to that about the CD riff. 

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that Slash had played the intro riff  at a concert. There was a  audio of that. It was actually on this forum when I heard it. 

3 minutes ago, Draguns said:

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I thought that Slash had played the intro riff  at a concert. There was a  audio of that. It was actually on this forum when I heard it. 

Yeah, it's in the first post of the thread I posted.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Draguns said:

Regarding the "lost album", Matt Sorum did say that they had 7 songs completed and 7 songs that they were working on. I'm sure that there is some stuff from this era that hasn't been released yet.

Apparently one of the songs was titled 'Central Park', but I have no idea where that info originally came from.

14 hours ago, Apollo said:

I’m reading one of the GnR books and there is a quote from Axl pre-Illusions release where he said that he is writing lyrics for eight songs that Slash submitted. 

I apologize if this is common knowledge. But do people know what Illusions songs those were? I’m assuming Coma is one. The other seven are?

Based on the writing credits I would guess those songs were: Coma, Locomotive, Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden, Don't Damn Me, and possibly Bad Apples, Dust N Bones and Get In The Ring? Could be 1 or 2 unreleased songs too.... 'Nightcrawler' or whatever that title was, maybe? I know Perfect Crime is an AFD-era song but he could've re-written the lyrics, like he did with Don't Cry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Azifwekare said:

Was that ever confirmed to be real? It's a cool track, but it doesn't sound like it would be Guns. It doesn't even sound as if it's the same source as the other drum machine demos.

As far as I know part of Nightcrawler was reworked as Speed Parade, from Slash's Snakepit's Ain't Life Grand. I think Marc Canter confirmed it.

Haven't heard the file you're talking about so I don't know if it's legit. If it contains any riffs that turned up on Speed Parade it must be real though.