New GN'R Release Coming In 2019? **RUMOR THREAD**

1 hour ago, Wagszilla said:

lmao meg white good drummer

what a world we live in 

:lol:

I mean, all in all good can mean two things:  technical skill and sounding good.  The second is subjective of course, but there is a reason why Jack White intentionally told Meg to not get drum lessons during their time together, because he intentionally wanted that type of playing with his music.  Intentional minimalistic, bombastic garage rock - and it sounds fucking great!  

To me it is the same with Adler.  He isn't technically speaking, anywhere near virtuoso level if you compare him to the great drumming clinicians of the world.  But for GNR that is actually a good thing, because he gave the songs he played on a more special and more unique voice because of that.

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

Ozzys drummer is great for ozzy, coopers drummer while very good is just to flashy. Ive seen both of those drummers live. In terms of gnr frank on this tour has just been average. Some songs are travelling way to fast plus my main gripe is doing particular fills when its not needed. Im not sure if he does it because hes bored, nerves or just trying to do something different but comes off wrong. In a perfect world id take matt hands down, not flashy, just keeps a solid groove. So its frank unfortunately for us fans.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Little off subject but Ozzy has always been gifted by having great musicians behind him he lucks out every time

This i agree with. Those muscians have also been important songwriters to (kerslake and dailsley) especially. I wish gus and jake e lee were the guitarists for ozzys farewell tour rather than zakk "fuck off with the pinch harmonics" wylde.

14 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

I don’t buy the Adler comparison at all. Very good rock drummer in his day. Great swing and chemistry. 

That is what I am saying - Adler is great because of his swing and chemistry.  That was my larger point, that Adler is not anywhere near the level of the drummers like Neil Peart or the studio clinicians in terms of sheer capability on the instrument - but it doesn't matter because his style works perfectly for GNR and he is a great drummer because of that

I am not saying Steven = Meg White, however it was my larger point that technicality is not the only determining factor of music and musicians

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

I think the hate on Frank is a little bit unwarranted, he's not the best drummer, but he doesn't ruin the sound of the band or anything (see Black Flag's 2012-13 reunion tour if you wanna see a drummer that does that) my main problem with him is that he's always hitting a symbol in parts where he's supposed to drop out, like he's playing along with the click track or something. I'm also not the biggest fan of his tone but I do think he has the 2nd best sense of groove out of all the GN'R drummers (besides Popcorn) Matt, Brain & Freese were all great drummers but pretty technical/mechanical. I do like all the drummers in their own way though.

• Like 2

His drumming on Estranged ruins the song far, far more than mickey vocals or noodling guitar solos ever could. His fills are so unnecessary and out of place.

I'll give him a pass if he throws some fast fills into YCBM or SOYL or whatever uptempo song, but he fucks up the vibe of Estranged, Don't Cry and November Rain. I realize the faster tempo's aren't really up to him, but either way, he should cut back on the extra fills. GNR drums parts should be relatively simple, yet groovy, and his extra fills don't tend to be groovy. It's like when when Slash and Duff re-joined, they decided to embrace the 'metal' label instead of just being a classic rock n' roll band.

I think the advantage Frank brings to the band is chemistry.  He seems to get along great with everyone and he keeps his mouth shut.  How long would a tour last with the risk of Adler spouting off about something and then relapsing.  How long before Sorum shot off his big mouth about something.  Frank might not be the greatest drummer of all time, but he keeps the ship afloat.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Evil Doer said:

I think the advantage Frank brings to the band is chemistry.  He seems to get along great with everyone and he keeps his mouth shut.  How long would a tour last with the risk of Adler spouting off about something and then relapsing.  How long before Sorum shot off his big mouth about something.  Frank might not be the greatest drummer of all time, but he keeps the ship afloat.  

This.

To be fair, though, Josh and Brain probably would’ve both been able to keep their mouths shut as well, for all we know.

9 hours ago, smeagol2124 said:

I know right?  It's like thinking Izzy is relevant post 1994

And Guns n' Roses is "relevant" again (= NITLT happening and being a huge success) because of things they have done and music they have released AFTER 1994? ;) 

I'm not trying be salty... just pointing out facts.  

Edited by Fourteenbeers
  • Like 2

Frank in my opinion is the only bad drummer GN'R have had. Studio wise, Adler is the best, whereas I feel live Sorum was the best. The songs were performed a little too fast and punky in the Adler days; WTTJ actually seemed MORE groovy with Matt on drums (whereas he stunk on Brownstone usually). Thing is, Frank's basis seems to be coming at things from a very funk sort of perspective, and while that element is present in GN'R to an extent, it's not the whole thing - but with Frank, he just doesn't have a feel for the songs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Frank in my opinion is the only bad drummer GN'R have had. Studio wise, Adler is the best, whereas I feel live Sorum was the best. The songs were performed a little too fast and punky in the Adler days; WTTJ actually seemed MORE groovy with Matt on drums (whereas he stunk on Brownstone usually). Thing is, Frank's basis seems to be coming at things from a very funk sort of perspective, and while that element is present in GN'R to an extent, it's not the whole thing - but with Frank, he just doesn't have a feel for the songs.

Actually Brain was the best(studio and live)and you are way off when describing Frank. 

Edited by tr420
  • GNFNR 3

12 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Don't Cry and November Rain. 

Those are definitely two of his biggest offenses.

11 hours ago, Evil Doer said:

I think the advantage Frank brings to the band is chemistry.  

That is all fine and dandy but musical chemistry would be better. That obviously hasn't been their priority though. 

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

Those are definitely two of his biggest offenses.

Wait a minute, so November Rain and Don't Cry are the songs where Franks so called lack of skill should be the most noticeable? That explains a lot. I've been wondering why people don't like Frank and this probably explains it. You actually like the eighties sound of the original NR and DC. Personally I hate the drumming on those songs and I mean the original versions. Most of the GNR material still sound just as good as it did the day it was released, but in my opinion NR and DC sound by far the most dated out of all the GNR material and I wouldn't mind if they actually re-recorded those two songs with new drumming.

So needless to say, that I prefer Franks drumming on those songs.

13 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Wait a minute, so November Rain and Don't Cry are the songs where Franks so called lack of skill should be the most noticeable? That explains a lot. I've been wondering why people don't like Frank and this probably explains it. You actually like the eighties sound of the original NR and DC. Personally I hate the drumming on those songs and I mean the original versions. Most of the GNR material still sound just as good as it did the day it was released, but in my opinion NR and DC sound by far the most dated out of all the GNR material and I wouldn't mind if they actually re-recorded those two songs with new drumming.

So needless to say, that I prefer Franks drumming on those songs.

Nothing to do with skills, but groove and feeling. 

• Like 1