Reggae Music Thread (SKA, Roots, Dub, Rocksteady, Dancehall)

Len Cnut

32 minutes ago, soon said:

Very cool jam. Love the Tenor Sax! Is Sister Nancy toasting herself by big upping her butt?

"'Ey what a bam bam, seh what a bam bam"

Nah, she's saying like 'what a commotion' but i like the way you think :lol:

Edited by Len Cnut
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah, she's saying like 'what a commotion' but i like the way you think :lol:

Well, the show poster is presented in part by "Kinky Vibes Power Movement" :lol: Oh, but that's neat - like the reaction to her good music is causing commotion?

I really like her voice. Shes singing about being a female MC, was that rare?

8 minutes ago, soon said:

Well, the show poster is presented in part by "Kinky Vibes Power Movement" :lol: Oh, but that's neat - like the reaction to her good music is causing commotion?

I really like her voice. Shes singing about being a female MC, was that rare?

Not rare as such but in a very patriachal male dominated society like Jamaica you find the same pitfalls that females encounter as a performer round these parts too.  Heres another, you might've heard this before:

First ever Reggae song in the charts:

1 hour ago, Len Cnut said:

Not rare as such but in a very patriachal male dominated society like Jamaica you find the same pitfalls that females encounter as a performer round these parts too.  Heres another, you might've heard this before:

First ever Reggae song in the charts:

Some sexy stuff going on. I hadn't heard either one. They're cool!

I remember you saying before how players were listening to western radio and trying to copy the top 40 sounds but came up with something new in the process - to me the bass line on Lollipop is very RNB/Top 40. Cool to hear how that sits in a reggae song.

Much like the tradition of punk, the immediacy of reggae (in terms of the music itself as well as the means of production) made it perfect to make 'news giving' music to paraphrase The Clash, Poison Flour is about some guy that was goin' around the local area and poisoning the flour, whether it was a murderer or just some crazy guy.

To modern things up a bit we have Bounty Killer, love this song.  It has been said before now that the true 'gangsta' rap or street rap or that type of urban music comes from places like Jamaica where to them poverty is living in shanty towns with corrugated roofs and robbing people for the shoes on their feet.  Its a kind of insightful song, political but still centred squarely in the today, the predicament, there's a matter-of-fact-ness and an urgency thats kinda compelling, always loved this track.  At once desperate and defiant. 

Edited by Len Cnut