Chinese Democracy Audio from 2009 Rehearsals Leaked!

I think this shows CD’s stock is up. With Niven saying Axl is looking back into CD era for the new album and even Slash/Duff saying Axl already has material, suddenly what people thought was over, might not be, so these rehearsals could be more interesting now than say around Coachella when people had maybe a different impression about what might be happening in terms of a new album. 

Edited by wasted

7 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

He just said SOYL was a new recording. Now I know for sure he's trolling.

I heard the very same info about Frank at drums and new Slash guitar (at least from the top of my head) right after SOYL single was released, from a very legit person.

I wasn't very eager to believe, but this just confirms my source was right about that.

1 minute ago, lukepowell1988 said:

The video of these rehearsals has been out there " Within The Circle " for ages fair few people have it and have been attempting to trade it for a while now.

Pretty sure that it's going to be worthless and leak soon this is how most leaks start out 

yes, this is another part of the huge pile of stuff that was out since 2010 or so and is slowly leaking out per partes.

3 hours ago, Amir said:

DJ's guitar actually sounds pretty good on it, and Bumblefoot was always great live.

Obviously they were the best line up Nu Guns.

It’s kind of weird how Axl does it, he nutures a line up to fruition them sets them free. 

4 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Isn't it part of the package that inclined some pro shot of a south american show?

The Puerto Rico 2010 show, that leaked to the general public a few months ago along with HOB '01 etc.

I think everyone's holding onto the same stuff and no one actually has Atlas, Checkmate, etc.

20 minutes ago, zombux said:

I heard the very same info about Frank at drums and new Slash guitar (at least from the top of my head) right after SOYL single was released, from a very legit person.

I wasn't very eager to believe, but this just confirms my source was right about that.

I dunno, I don't have the best ear for drumming, trying to compare the 1986 Sound City demo to the single version and finding it hard to tell if it's actually two different drummers, maybe someone with a better ear could figure it out.

People have been trying to sell me the package for donkeys I always held off knowing it would leak 

there are multiple people who have it and try to trade the stuff for other stuff. and then there are other people who also have it and try to trade it for $$$$$ :) 

the good thing is, not much of the package remains unleaked, so chances that some leech earns fortune for it are pretty low.

Just now, Amir said:

I dunno, I don't have the best ear for drumming, trying to compare the 1986 Sound City demo to the single version and finding it hard to tell if it's actually two different drummers, maybe someone with a better ear could figure it out.

same here, my ears for drums are not that good so I couldn't really tell myself.

but I trust people who always turned out to be legit - that's about it :) 

• GNFNR 1

3 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I wouldn't be so sure with checkmate Atlas I think you are right but if there is 30 seconds of Checkmate someone somewhere must have the full track 

Wasn't the story with Checkmate that it was some fan who tried make a deal with Merck not to leak what he had, and then when Merck didn't hold up his end of the bargain he leaked 30 seconds of a song and said "Checkmate"?

2 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I wouldn't be so sure with checkmate Atlas I think you are right but if there is 30 seconds of Checkmate someone somewhere must have the full track 

my memory might be wrong, but I vaguely remember that some people claimed to have Atlas (multiple recordings are known to have been done, but only some of them are "hoarded"), but were looking for Checkmate, which might not been circulating back then - of course things might have changed since the time I was in contact with the people.

and yes, you are right with your logic - but again, remember this is GNR territory and no logic can be safely applied here.

Just now, Amir said:

Wasn't the story with Checkmate that it was some fan who tried make a deal with Merck not to leak what he had, and then when Merck didn't hold up his end of the bargain he leaked 30 seconds of a song and said "Checkmate"?

yes, it was somewhat like that. Checkmate was a bogus title "invented" by DJ Razz, who leaked the excerpt as a "check mate and fuck you towards Merck", at least I remember something like that story.

4 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

Checkmate was on a disc of 99 demos inclduing IRS and TWAT someone gave the disc to Razz he leaked IRS I think?? Them GNR got legal with him so he leaked 30 secs of Checkmate as a fuck you they screwed him over on some deal

also CITR demo was in the same batch, right?

That's the one I couldn't remember the other track ...It's possible Atlas was on there considering May recorded on it and is from the same session as Catcher 

yes, "rumors say so". multiple versions of Atlas were rumored to exist, together with other leaked or released songs in the batches.

at least my attempt to summarize everything said so :) 

5 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

That's the one I couldn't remember the other track ...It's possible Atlas was on there considering May recorded on it and is from the same session as Catcher 

i'm sure there are 2 May versions of Atlas. take 1, take 2. i think i read that somewhere.

1 minute ago, donny said:

i'm sure there are 2 May versions of Atlas. take 1, take 2. i think i read that somewhere.

Could be making this up but isn't there also potentially 2 CITRs with May? Remember when it leaked in '06 and then subsequently in the '08 Axl chats that Brian was upset that they had pasted together a couple of his solos to make the one that we hear on the demo. Still think the biggest crime on Chinese Democracy is replacing May with that abomination of a solo from BBF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wasn't this rehearsal downloaded from the gmatter server? (along with Puerto Rico PROSHOT)?

And MSL already had the file and he published the setlist before. And more people had the rehearsal(at least one more).

I'm just a little bit worried that downtownterry isn't uptownterry because he's been away for so long and he just wants new stuff, but what do I know?

14 minutes ago, lukepowell1988 said:

I fought it was RF on the solo there? Either way if you have Brain Fuckin' May on your record you don't remove him 

According to the liner notes there is actually a RF solo on there, having to relisten to try and determine which one it is as all I can hear are those horrible, out-of-place bends that BBF does.

7. CATCHER IN THE RYE
(Rose, Tobias)

Drums: Brain
Bass: Tommy Stinson
Guitars: Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal, Robin Finck, Paul Tobias
Keyboards: Chris Pitman, Dizzy Reed
Piano: Axl Rose
Guitar Solos: Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal, Robin Finck, Ron “Bumblefoot” Thal
Background Vocals: Axl Rose
Vocals: Axl Rose

However, to your second point - you absolutely do not remove Brian May! Especially on a song like CITR that seemed to fit his sound so well.

Do you know what the rehearsal set list was?

Would be interested to know I have been told before but had forgotten 

Also who knows a lot of what has been said has been true 

check gnrevolution.

but i had the setlist for a few years, and I had to get it from somewhere

5 hours ago, RussTCB said:

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Dizzy is Axl 

People have made that mistake before :D

And since many might not understand the reference: According to Raz Cue, when police raided the Gardner place to look for Axl in connection with a rape charge, they ended up taking Dizzy thinking he was Axl.

2 hours ago, donny said:

in GNR world, you really can't consider various versions of songs "takes", because it has been a huge mess even in the UYI era and later during ChiDem recording, it all just became a monstrous pile of samples, variously glued together wildly.

so 1) there indeed might be two "versions" of Atlas with Brian May on it, but 2) the solo might be the very same one, just glued together with different parts from other guys, with different mix, etc.

and yes, my list shows two Atlases with Brian May as well, but as I explained, not neccessarily two distinct takes, but possibly (re)mixes. 

or, of course, there really were multiple takes Brian did back in the day. who knows :) 

4 hours ago, Amir said:

The Puerto Rico 2010 show, that leaked to the general public a few months ago along with HOB '01 etc.

I think everyone's holding onto the same stuff and no one actually has Atlas, Checkmate, etc.

As a drummer I’ve listened to both and I think it’s just the mix and from what I’ve heard frank play his drums have a much different sound and he plays a different style. I really do think slash modified and updated his parts though. The drums could just be different mixing 

• Thanks 1