Rolling Stone Article: Duff Solo Album Set for 2019 Release

The thing about music is that it's not always about wanting to top the previous classic album.  Sometimes, albums are just expressions of where musicians are in life.  Duff has some ideas and a theme that results in him wanting releasing an album.  He wants to release it.  Why not?  Will it be great?  Who knows?  Is it going to be an expression of where Duff is at in his life as a person and a musician?  I would think so.

I think the issue is that people (not really people in this forum, just people in general) wanting Slash and Duff's albums from their various bands to be on par with GNR stuff, and I don't really think that's their intention.  They just have ideas that they like and work with a couple of good people to hash it out and have a good time doing it and releasing it and feel proud of the recent stuff they release.  It's not always about perfection or selling millions of albums or drawing big stadium crowds or having the album becoming a classic.  They just like making music, when it comes to them in that moment, at a consistent basis whether the music is great or not.  It's who they are.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, DeadSlash said:

Really?  "Hope" is a good tune, but I don't hear it and think "GnR."  At all.

It could’ve lended itself I think to the new GN’R sound I think Axl was going for, yet still retaining some of the classic style of GN’R. That Slash intro lead guitar is just stellar. 

1 hour ago, DieselDaisy said:

I don't see why not. On Illusion Duff had his vocal songs (''So Fine'' and to a lesser extent ''Get in the Ring''). Slash's leads are simply glorious on it. I can perfectly envision ''Hope'' as the Duff vocal song among a 10-12 song GN'R album.

Absolutely. That is some beautiful lead guitar isn’t it? This was recorded in 1997, and could’ve easily been a GN’R original

10 hours ago, CAFC Nick said:

Someone please reassure me this doesn’t affect any potential (really optimistic...) GNR recording :wacko:

Ok, for the past 2 and 1/2 years these guys  gave everything  to their true fans and now they are using that energy to push out all this extra new music before they get down to a true ‘gnr’ album 👍 

Edited by tony adler

3 hours ago, ZoSoRose said:

I personally think there are plenty of worthy "nostalgia" albums. For example, I'm not like a diehard Van Halen fan, but I really enjoyed ADKOT. I bet their major fans are mainly very happy to have it. Same goes for a lot of older bands. Some even release genuinely creative and really solid albums like Rush, and when they aren't that great, at least they tried. The old albums don't get worse because the new album is bad. Axl has released some garbage songs too. They just doesn't stick out as much because he is only on like 4 original full studio albums, a double EP, and a covers album. 

If we get a new GN’R album as good as Van Halen’s ADKOT, I'll happy. That was a really great album that sits nicely alongside the other DLR albums.

It’s just a shame that the band members need to seek new musical fulfilment outside of the band, because the band itself doesn’t do anything new. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, downzy said:

I think Axl only wants to release what he thinks is great.  Releasing music for the sake of releasing music isn't his thing.  

I've always felt the same. But when you think about the whole Chinese Democracy process, the rumored (multiple) rejections of it, teh re-recording with all the different people, how the actual release was a bit of a mess (errors in the booklet) and not what Axl wanted... That does make you wonder what else is at play. Not that Axl isn't picky and perfectionistic, but there are other factors too. 

With all the people setting up their own labels and releasing what they want (sometimes onlpy digital releases, you also have to wonder if they wouldn't fit Axl better. 

And then there's the pile of material they're still sitting on... Maybe there are still a lot of legal issues with those that make a release difficult? 

40 minutes ago, username said:

I've always felt the same. But when you think about the whole Chinese Democracy process, the rumored (multiple) rejections of it, teh re-recording with all the different people, how the actual release was a bit of a mess (errors in the booklet) and not what Axl wanted... That does make you wonder what else is at play. Not that Axl isn't picky and perfectionistic, but there are other factors too. 

With all the people setting up their own labels and releasing what they want (sometimes onlpy digital releases, you also have to wonder if they wouldn't fit Axl better. 

And then there's the pile of material they're still sitting on... Maybe there are still a lot of legal issues with those that make a release difficult? 

Having his own label wouldn't work for Axl. It removes the biggest excuse for him not to release music. Axl always seems to need someone to blame. The record label is a perfect scape goat for him not to release music. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

My point is that you were blaming Axl's alleged unwillingness for the lack of productivity, when the reality is that he, including Slash, Duff etc, are in one of the biggest bands in the world with many moving parts. It would be more complicated to get the ball rolling on a Guns project than a small solo project.

It shouldn't be more complicated. It is fucking Rock N' Roll

23 hours ago, default_ said:

Since Slash and Duff got back to GNR:

Dizzy released an album

Slash released an album

Duff will release an album

On the next months we'll probably see announcements from Richard, Melissa and even Frank. But nothing from the actual band. 

What a sad little band we chose to be fans of. 

good point

but maybe you should say "what a sad little singer" instead?

because the singer is obviously the one who broke the band when it actually existed

and the singer is obviously the one who can't do shit since 1992 except playing appetite and a few selected cuts non-stop all over the world with whoever musicians that accept his conditions

===

oh, and about "choosing"

not sure about you but...

...I never "chose" anything

when I first listened to Guns n Roses, i HAD to listen more

that has nothing to do with "choosing" as far as i can tell!

:headbang:

On 05/12/2018 at 3:44 PM, gnr5 said:

at this point there is two things that can redeem Duff from betraying his own words and doing this nonsensical not-enough-loot tour with 4 aliens as if it was Guns n Roses

one thing is getting izzy and slash to write and play ONE SONG with him for his new album

the other thing is getting izzy to write and play on a few tracks like he did on his EP

meh. what Duff was doing in the 1990's was awesome. it all peaked in pre-VR Loaded era. when he started doing solo stuff again after VR went to hiatus, it was all just a bland generic rock. 

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think that this new stuff will be similar to 2006-2015 stuff.

22 minutes ago, zombux said:

meh. what Duff was doing in the 1990's was awesome. it all peaked in pre-VR Loaded era. when he started doing solo stuff again after VR went to hiatus, it was all just a bland generic rock. 

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think that this new stuff will be similar to 2006-2015 stuff.

you didnt like this one?

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

It shouldn't be more complicated. It is fucking Rock N' Roll

you are right man

it is NOT complicated

axl is the complicator and anyone that doesn't see that is in denial

• Like 1