30 Day Song Challenge #3

BlueJean Baby

9 hours ago, triad said:

Why is this funny?  What's up with Stevenage?  Did he grow up there, or does he live there now, or what?  :question:

Its just a really small sedate little town, very grey, very nothing-ever-happens-ish, its just a really incongruous image, Billy Idol and Stevenage, he's kinda like...Mr Rock n Roll y'know, all leather and lip curl and debauchery, which are the last things on earth you'd equate to Stevenage.

On 08/01/2019 at 2:15 PM, Len Cnut said:

There was a lot of that about in the punk movement, a great many even more musically unique than X Ray Spex...for example, The Slits.  Not that X Ray Spex ain't, they're becoming sort of a tasters choice thing lately when about 5 to 10 years ago it was a struggle trying to find someone who had heard of em.  And all anyone seems to know is 'Oh Bondage Up Yours' :lol:

I didn't really mean they were particularly special musically speaking, although I think there's something unique and incredibly powerful about them. Never really been able to put my finger on it tbh and I think that's why I love them so much. But there weren't many other bands fronted by brace-faced African women back then, were there?

I first heard their album when I was about 13, when my music taste was basically just GNR, Aerosmith and the like. Couldn't get enough of that album and still can't. When they reformed at the Roundhouse, I had a friend, the only other person I knew who knew them, who insisted we go and see them. She'd already bought four tickets for it and I had to sell my iPod to pay her for mine. Probably the best decision I ever made! I've watched the gig on YouTube since and Poly seemed to struggle at times. But I didn't notice at the time. I think it's ruined all gigs for me since then, because nothing has compared to that, not even close.

4 minutes ago, Rock the Cock said:

I didn't really mean they were particularly special musically speaking, although I think there's something unique and incredibly powerful about them. Never really been able to put my finger on it tbh and I think that's why I love them so much. But there weren't many other bands fronted by brace-faced African women back then, were there?

I first heard their album when I was about 13, when my music taste was basically just GNR, Aerosmith and the like. Couldn't get enough of that album and still can't. When they reformed at the Roundhouse, I had a friend, the only other person I knew who knew them, who insisted we go and see them. She'd already bought four tickets for it and I had to sell my iPod to pay her for mine. Probably the best decision I ever made! I've watched the gig on YouTube since and Poly seemed to struggle at times. But I didn't notice at the time. I think it's ruined all gigs for me since then, because nothing has compared to that, not even close.

Nah i think they were something pretty special musically speaking.  As well as unique and incredibly powerful.  She got out of the punk movement pretty quick though when it started getting messy.  Ended up a Hare Krishna, living in that temple that George Harrison set up near where I live.

2 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Nah i think they were something pretty special musically speaking.  As well as unique and incredibly powerful.  She got out of the punk movement pretty quick though when it started getting messy.  Ended up a Hare Krishna, living in that temple that George Harrison set up near where I live.

Yeah, I'm too lazy to Google it but I think she may have been in the same place George was at. Have you heard her solo albums? There's one from the 80s and another that (I think) came out very shortly after her death. Both are great listens. The last song on her final album (it's called Electric Blue Monsoon) is beautiful.

24 minutes ago, Rock the Cock said:

Yeah, I'm too lazy to Google it but I think she may have been in the same place George was at. Have you heard her solo albums? There's one from the 80s and another that (I think) came out very shortly after her death. Both are great listens. The last song on her final album (it's called Electric Blue Monsoon) is beautiful.

Its exactly the place George was at, he bank-rolled it back in the day or else the Hare Krishnas were always gonna struggle to finance a manor house.  A lot of the Hare Krishna/buddhist community in town knew George personally, I've met people who grew up knowing him as Uncle George, he's in their home movies and everything.  I had no idea she did any solo work at all, I thought she chucked it all in, I shall have to have a listen.  Was quite the shock when she died, Ari Up too, both of cancer.  Ari Up apparently refused conventional medicine and was taking all these Jamaican rastafari herbal alternatives and shit.

6 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Its exactly the place George was at, he bank-rolled it back in the day or else the Hare Krishnas were always gonna struggle to finance a manor house.  A lot of the Hare Krishna/buddhist community in town knew George personally, I've met people who grew up knowing him as Uncle George, he's in their home movies and everything.  I had no idea she did any solo work at all, I thought she chucked it all in, I shall have to have a listen.  Was quite the shock when she died, Ari Up too, both of cancer.  Ari Up apparently refused conventional medicine and was taking all these Jamaican rastafari herbal alternatives and shit.

Me too. Worst of all, Poly was misdiagnosed by her GP. Otherwise she might still be with us. Her first solo album, Translucence, it's a sorta stoner, hippyish kinda album; the last one, very modern (for the time), a bit hit and miss bit still a great listen and you'll probably find a few stand-out tracks. The first one is on the streaming services (at least mine); the last one you'd probably have to search for illicitly.