What would be the best NITL compilation?

The best thing to do would be to release a double live album but then put out a deluxe edition with a 3rd cd that includes the rest/most of the songs played on the tour not included on the 2 CD set.

Honestly if they do release a live album I hope they check fan forum threads like these to insure the best versions get released. Sure they could sift through hours of tapes but the GNR fans have long since listened to every bootleg from the tour & analyzed everything.

Edited by The Matinator

44 minutes ago, The Matinator said:

The best thing to do would be to release a double live album but then put out a deluxe edition with a 3rd cd that includes the rest/most of the songs played on the tour not included on the 2 CD set.

Honestly if they do release a live album I hope they check fan forum threads like these to insure the best versions get released. Sure they could sift through hours of tapes but the GNR fans have long since listened to every bootleg from the tour & analyzed everything.

Yap it’s what they should do! But like I said in the rumor thread they will go the easiest path possible. It will be from one show. Someone else will be hired to do the work and they will just write a check and say “look what we’ve done for the fans” then when it releases with a million mistakes they will say “complaints complaints complaints”

just take the time and effort to do it right. GNR is a multi million dollar brand, quit treating it like a garage sale. 

• Like 1

Thinking of a possible compilation is not kind of a big deal as the prescription is quite simple: take a some 33-34 song show with Rosie and Madagascar from 2017 as a structure basis, add Shadow of Your Love and bring the best versions of them. And to say what are the best is more up to someone who has an access to SBD - sometimes it's hard to justify unbias just watching the vids from the show. However, what I really would like to see is a video release and its theatrical run. It would be weird to see a video compilation, so we need either a full show or a some live documentary. As Axl's tiop form was in 2016, it's logically to choose a show from this period, however, none of them have both Patience and Don't Cry as well as sometime we also need to be "mix" to get the best show, so I'm coming with the some sort of documentary with the set as follows:
1. Introduction - montage of media reports of Slash sayng about negative stuff and Axl telling that they'll reunite "Not in this lifetime"  
2. Backstage video about stage and show design for NITL
3. It's So Easy - Detroit 2016
5. Mr. Brownstone - Detroit 2016
5. Slash interview
6. Chinese Democracy - New York, 16 october 2017
7. Welcome to the Jungle - New York, 16 october 2017
8. Mellisa Reese Interview
9. Better - Houston 2016
10. Live and Let Die - Houston 2016
11. Dizzy Reed Interview
12. Estranged - Houston 2016
13. Frank Ferrer Interview
14. You Could Be Mine - Orlando 2016
15. Duff Mackagan Interview
16. Attitude - Houston 2016
17. This I Love - Houston 2016
18. Civil War - Houston 2016
19. Band shares their memories about Troubadour reunion.
20. Band Introductions/Godfather Theme - Troubadour 2016
21. Sweet Child O'Mine - Troubadour 2016. 
22. Axl Rose interview, tells about the throne on the first shows
23. Don't Cry - Coachella 2016
24. Crew Interview about band's guitars and gear
25. November Rain - Foxboro July 20, 2016
26. Richard Fortus Interview
27. Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Houston 2016
28. Nightrain - Houston 2016
29. Backstage with the band preparing for cocnerts, bloopers and funny stuff.
30. Patience - Gdansk 2017
31. Final thoughts of everyone involved in the reunion 
32. Paradise City - Detroit 2017. 

It's pretty hard to choose a particular show for an audio/video release as, of course, I'd have chosen Houston 2016, but suppose broken piano sequence won't please November Rain fans, so probably go with Foxobro July 19/20... However, 2017 arena leg was also decent and had many songs in sets, so maybe it would be a fair alternative to go with MSG 3rd night on October 16 or San Diego November 28. Something like that.   

Edited by nikothebellic
  • Like 1

On 12/12/2018 at 8:41 AM, The Matinator said:

2 hours ago, nikothebellic said:

Thinking of a possible compilation is not kind of a big deal as the prescription is quite simple: take a some 33-34 song show with Rosie and Madagascar from 2017 as a structure basis, add Shadow of Your Love and bring the best versions of them. And to say what are the best is more up to someone who has an access to SBD - sometimes it's hard to justify unbias just watching the vids from the show. However, what I really would like to see is a video release and its theatrical run. It would be weird to see a video compilation, so we need either a full show or a some live documentary. As Axl's tiop form was in 2016, it's logically to choose a show from this period, however, none of them have both Patience and Don't Cry as well as sometime we also need to be "mix" to get the best show, so I'm coming with the some sort of documentary with the set as follows:
1. Introduction - montage of media reports of Slash sayng about negative stuff and Axl telling that they'll reunite "Not in this lifetime"  
2. Backstage video about stage and show design for NITL
3. It's So Easy - Detroit 2016
5. Mr. Brownstone - Detroit 2016
5. Slash interview
6. Chinese Democracy - New York, 16 october 2017
7. Welcome to the Jungle - New York, 16 october 2017
8. Mellisa Reese Interview
9. Better - Houston 2016
10. Live and Let Die - Houston 2016
11. Dizzy Reed Interview
12. Estranged - Houston 2016
13. Frank Ferrer Interview
14. You Could Be Mine - Orlando 2016
15. Duff Mackagan Interview
16. Attitude - Houston 2016
17. This I Love - Houston 2016
18. Civil War - Houston 2016
19. Band shares their memories about Troubadour reunion.
20. Band Introductions/Godfather Theme - Troubadour 2016
21. Sweet Child O'Mine - Troubadour 2016. 
22. Axl Rose interview, tells about the throne on the first shows
23. Don't Cry - Coachella 2016
24. Crew Interview about band's guitars and gear
25. November Rain - Foxboro July 20, 2016
26. Richard Fortus Interview
27. Knockin' on Heaven's Door - Houston 2016
28. Nightrain - Houston 2016
29. Backstage with the band preparing for cocnerts, bloopers and funny stuff.
30. Patience - Gdansk 2017
31. Final thoughts of everyone involved in the reunion 
32. Paradise City - Detroit 2017. 

It's pretty hard to choose a particular show for an audio/video release as, of course, I'd have chosen Houston 2016, but suppose broken piano sequence won't please November Rain fans, so probably go with Foxobro July 19/20... However, 2017 arena leg was also decent and had many songs in sets, so maybe it would be a fair alternative to go with MSG 3rd night on October 16 or San Diego November 28. Something like that.   

With the NR piano incidentnthey coukd have a section i n the dvd called "onstage and touring bloopers".

They would seriously have to 'Live Era' any NITL live album because there's only a handful of tracks that sounded good consistently.

It's So Easy

Mr. Brownstone

Chinese Democracy

Welcome To The Jungle

Double Talkin Jive

My Michelle (w/Adler)

Out Ta Get Me (w/Adler)

Nightrain (Coachella)

Shadow Of Your Love

The Seeker.

Do you really want Wichita Lineman on a live album? I don't.

On 12/15/2018 at 7:56 AM, F*ck Fear said:

Do you really want Wichita Lineman on a live album? I don't.

I do. Guns' version is pretty decent, and Axl is consistently good on it. If it were on a live album I'd consider it comparable to "It's Alright", a nice little cover song that doesn't really belong on a GNR album, bit which fits in well enough. I'd take it over Used To Love Her or Yesterdays any day of the week.

• Like 3

Nice list!

But you have to add some footage of the Vegas re-union shows in there, too. Those were the first GN'R headliner shows die hards all over the world flew in for.

Besides that, i dont think a compilation should have US shows only. Fill in some european, SA, Asia stuff etc. 

8 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I do. Guns' version is pretty decent, and Axl is consistently good on it. If it were on a live album I'd consider it comparable to "It's Alright", a nice little cover song that doesn't really belong on a GNR album, bit which fits in well enough. I'd take it over Used To Love Her or Yesterdays any day of the week.

Fair enough. I also like their take on the song. I just figured that seeing as we've got a couple of unofficial soundboards of it, that it wouldn't need to be on an official release.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:33 AM, F*ck Fear said:

Fair enough. I also like their take on the song. I just figured that seeing as we've got a couple of unofficial soundboards of it, that it wouldn't need to be on an official release.

True, but we've got soundboard/IEM recordings of most songs they've played on NITL, and I'd take Wichita over about half the set nowadays... :lol:

• Like 1

Also the idea of interview/documentary footage like @nikothebellic said would be cool, but honestly I'd want that on a bonus disc, just have 45~ minutes of backstage/interviews/rehearsals on it's own, instead of spread through-out a concert. Concert films with documentary footage spliced in every few songs is annoying, IMO.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Also the idea of interview/documentary footage like @nikothebellic said would be cool, but honestly I'd want that on a bonus disc, just have 45~ minutes of backstage/interviews/rehearsals on it's own, instead of spread through-out a concert. Concert films with documentary footage spliced in every few songs is annoying, IMO.

Absolutely! Concert videos should be left undisturbed.

• Like 1