Why do you think Axl won’t share his music with the fans?

Apollo

We all know that Axl once said that he would hate to be an artist that just relied on his past catalog. 

And forget about the 13 million dollars and 13 years leading up to CD. 

Since then, why do you think Axl has chosen to not share his music with his millions of fans?

He said CD2 - with 10 B-sides - would be coming a year after CD was released. And it’s been reported that Cd was supposed to be a two or three album run. That was a decade ago  

Beta said there were a 100 songs. Axl said something like 24 or 39 songs were done. 

Multiple band members desperately wanted to release GnR music. Several talked about songs they worked on. And several left because they got tired of just covering other people’s music. 

There is no doubt Slash/Duff would love to release new GnR music  

So we know there are completed songs. We know band members wanted to release music. We know fans would buy millions of copies. And currently the GnR “brand” is higher than it has been since the mid-90s. 

A new GnR album released at the start of this year would have sold 5 million copies and spent several weeks at number one. 

Why shitcan CD2 and all those b-sides? Why not take the best CD2 songs, let Slash and Duff work on them, add three new songs and release that album? Then put the leftovers on ITunes? Hell, people would have lost their minds if they would have just played 1-2 songs on this tour. 

Your thoughts on why Axl has changed and turned into an artist that chooses to not share his music with his fans. Especially knowing that millions of his die-hard fans would LOVE it. 

On 11/12/2018 at 2:36 PM, Apollo said:

We all know that Axl once said that he would hate to be an artist that just relied on his past catalog. 

Since then, why do you think Axl has chosen to not share his music with his millions of fans?

He said CD2 - with 10 B-sides - would be coming a year after CD was released. And it’s been reported that Cd was supposed to be a two or three album run. That was a decade ago  

Beta said there were a 100 songs. Axl said something like 24 or 39 songs were done. 

Multiple band members desperately wanted to release GnR music. Several talked about songs they worked on. And several left because they got tired of just covering other people’s music. 

So we know there are completed songs. We know band members wanted to release music. We know fans would buy millions of copies. And currently the GnR “brand” is higher than it has been since the mid-90s. 

A new GnR album released at the start of this year would have sold 5 million copies and spent several weeks at number one. 

Why shitcan CD2 and all those b-sides? Why not take the best CD2 songs, let Slash and Duff work on them, add three new songs and release that album? Then put the leftovers on ITunes? Hell, people would have lost their minds if they would have just played 1-2 songs on this tour. 

Your thoughts on why Axl has changed and turned into an artist that chooses to not share his music with his fans. Especially knowing that millions of his die-hard fans would LOVE it. 

See. All what you wrote seems accurate and great, but your're relying on a "perfect world" scenario.

Maybe Axl thinks the songs are not that good. Metallica released a ton of records and none of them were even near the Black Album or the records before them.

The songs released for the Slash's Snakepit albums were great, but if they were to be released under the GNR moniker everybody would say it was shite!

Maybe he thinks nothing will ever surpass the AFD quality with every song on the record being a potential single.

Maybe he thinks nothing will be so grandiose than UYI 1 & 2.

Maybe he thinks nothing will be so versatile and produced like ChiDem.

And then, people will always complain...

The third thing is: why release a new record if people just want to listen to WTJ or SCOM?

Why bring Adler or Izzy if they packed stadiums for the entire tour?

Why? Why? Why?

Edited by Legendador
  • Like 1

I think he hasn't actively written in many years now. He's fallen out of the creative headspace and he might even think he doesn't have anything to say (politics aside).

What he has left over is more than fifteen years old, was assembled with dozens of collaborators who have almost all evaporated and represents a chapter of his life that is more or less, completely done. He would need to really work at finding a fresh message, to get in touch with himself and decide what he wants to say to the world. Axl has always been a guy who bears his soul in his music and I think a big part of him doesn't care to bear that soul or feels that he is out of touch with his art.

18 minutes ago, Legendador said:

See. All what you wrote seems accurate and great, but your're relying in a "perfect world" scenario.

Maybe Axl thinks the songs are not that good. Metallica released a ton of records and none were even near the Black Album or the records before.

The songs released for the Slash's Snakepit albums were great, but if they were to be released under the GNR moniker everybody would say it was shite!

Maybe he thinks nothing will ever surpass the AFD quality with every song on the record being a potential single.

The third thing is: why release a new record if people just want to listen to WTJ or SCOM?

Why? Why? Why?

I respect bands releasing albums that are just ok. Axl takes shit too seriously, just record and release it. Fans decide for themselves which songs they like. I mean Metallica's Death Magnetic (or whatever it's called) has 3 good songs, and I am fine with that. GnR could have had bunch of few songs per album released by now. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Legendador said:

See. All what you wrote seems accurate and great, but your're relying in a "perfect world" scenario.

Maybe Axl thinks the songs are not that good. Metallica released a ton of records and none were even near the Black Album or the records before.

Why? Why? Why?

Metallica isn’t the best comparison as while Load was controversial, it was a massive seller and had strong material. Reload not so much in quality but a big seller. Then the meltdown started with really varying levels of quality but nuggets of brilliance here and there and then you land at Hardwired which is easily their best in 25 years.

As artists get older, quality usually starts to become a bit more sparse due to fame, money, general happiness etc. However I am 100% pleased to have all the material they have released and wish GNR would do the same. A band of the size it is really should have a bigger library than it does.

Edited by DTJ80
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Apollo said:

He said, she said, they said...

Maybe he has nothing to share, and that 30-50, 100 songs don't exist or , if they do, are pure shit...

Maybe he doesn't care anymore, he earned his pension in last 2,5 years...

Maybe noone want to work with him anymore (could you blame them...)...

Maybe he is still polishing CD2 material amd will release it in 2025.

Who knows...

2 hours ago, Legendador said:

See. All what you wrote seems accurate and great, but your're relying in a "normal world" scenario.

Fixed for ya.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

Because hes filthy rich now and gnr was always a back alley bunch of dirtbags who wrote about that life. What's he gonna write about? Why even try when you'll never touch afd or illusions. Plus there's no money in it. It's all about money. If having a afd 5 reunion was the way to make money itd happen, it a new CD was the best way to make money itd happen too but its not

I don't think he had label backing prior to the reunion.

They were able to sucker Best Buy into that deal that let them break even on right off - It otherwise flopped (I know this will be challenged - but they had to sell them in dollar stores with the best buy sticker still on it).

6 hours ago, Gibson_Guy87 said:

They were on the road for almost 3 years, give them some time.

LOL, you can't be serious. They had plenty of time. Many bands release whatever they want during tours or breaks. And yes, I'm talking about both the creative and legal process of releasing an album. Lame excuse, sorry.

6 hours ago, Legendador said:

Maybe Axl thinks the songs are not that good.

If it's anything like CD, he's right.

6 hours ago, donny said:

i thought he handed a load of songs in to the record label years ago and they basically told him to piss off.

This is false unless someone gives a reliable source. It's been 8 years and nothing has been proved about this.

6 hours ago, Legendador said:

Yeah! Blame the fans! Great idea. I'd be really sad if Axl doesn't release music because he's afraid of strangers saying mean words about his music.

6 hours ago, Sosso said:

Maybe for the fans

That's a very noble reason if you ask me. He has everything. He could release music for free if really cared about his fanbase. We know he does not.

8 hours ago, edsonandhudson said:

LOL, you can't be serious. They had plenty of time. Many bands release whatever they want during tours or breaks. And yes, I'm talking about both the creative and legal process of releasing an album. Lame excuse, sorry.

If it's anything like CD, he's right.

This is false unless someone gives a reliable source. It's been 8 years and nothing has been proved about this.

Yeah! Blame the fans! Great idea. I'd be really sad if Axl doesn't release music because he's afraid of strangers saying mean words about his music.

That's a very noble reason if you ask me. He has everything. He could release music for free if really cared about his fanbase. We know he does not.

Maybe after this nitl tour has given him a reality check.

9 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

They were able to sucker Best Buy into that deal that let them break even on right off - It otherwise flopped (I know this will be challenged - but they had to sell them in dollar stores with the best buy sticker still on it).

This , especially the first paragraph. 

15 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Agreed. Despite the constant touring, GN'R was pretty much non-existent after CD was released and the label knew it. It'd be a really stupid decision to not invest in a new record now. 

Edited by Gibson_Guy87