Alan Niven Still Condemns Axl Rose for Performing Under Devil Horns With AC/DC

The whole "celebrity satanism" angle is huge on You Tube atm, up to and including  MK ULTRA mind control and even Satanic backwards messages . So, Niven's no dummy. I'm guessing he's exploiting his ties to GN'R in order to ride the latest wave back to relevancy. 

• Haha 1

I find it interesting to note that some of us hold a position that says the associations made between rock and the Devil are absurd, and others of us are saying 'of course the Devil is part of rock.'

What strikes me about these notions in relation to Guns is that the painting Appetite For Destruction depicts the myth of redemptive violence. Redemptive violence - at an extreme the vanquishing of evil - is a core part of most God/Devil, good/evil archetypes. 

Edited by soon

33 minutes ago, soon said:

I find it interesting to note that some of us hold a position that says the associations made between rock and the Devil are absurd, and others of us are saying 'of course the Devil is part of rock.'

What strikes me about these notions in relation to Guns is that the painting Appetite For Destruction depicts the myth of redemptive violence. Redemptive violence - at an extreme the vanquishing of evil - is a core part of most God/Devil, good/evil archetypes. 

Clearly, at it's core music is a spiritual pursuit and musicians from Paganini to Robert Johnson to Led Zeppelin have been accused of making some sort of Faustian bargain to achieve commercial success. I don't think every 2 bit pop singer is a practicing Satanist however. Perhaps higher up the corporate ladder those associations could be made more convincingly.

Axl has addressed   both lyrically and visually the internal struggle between dark and light.  He  vents  his rage and frustration at external forces which he felt sought to control him.  I would agree this is righteousness of a kind as you suggest. If  the stories about his "lost years" wandering from one pseudo-guru to another in search of inner peace are accurate, one might conclude it was at one point the driving force in his life.

1 hour ago, bax said:

Clearly, at it's core music is a spiritual pursuit and musicians from Paganini to Robert Johnson to Led Zeppelin have been accused of making some sort of Faustian bargain to achieve commercial success. I don't think every 2 bit pop singer is a practicing Satanist however. Perhaps higher up the corporate ladder those associations could be made more convincingly.

Axl has addressed   both lyrically and visually the internal struggle between dark and light.  He  vents  his rage and frustration at external forces which he felt sought to control him.  I would agree this is righteousness of a kind as you suggest. If  the stories about his "lost years" wandering from one pseudo-guru to another in search of inner peace are accurate, one might conclude it was at one point the driving force in his life.

Reading this made me think that Axl was going to change into the Incredible Hulk .

• Haha 1

why are all these guitarists, that supposedly sold their soul to the devil (page, clapton, johnson) so utterly and mind numbing boring? seems to me, the devil doesn't like rock n roll very much and "gifted" these guitarists with meandering / boring playing and in some cases even plagiarism. why none of them have sued the devil for fraud and scamming, is beyond me.

so in conclusion I'd say, booze and drugs (slash, lemmy, keef, hendrix, perry) are better for your guitar skills, than a deal with the devil

Edited by action
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, action said:

why are all these guitarists, that supposedly sold their soul to the devil (page, clapton, johnson) so utterly and mind numbing boring? seems to me, the devil doesn't like rock n roll very much and "gifted" these guitarists with meandering / boring playing and in some cases even plagiarism. why none of them have sued the devil for fraud and scamming, is beyond me.

so in conclusion I'd say, booze and drugs (slash, lemmy, keef, hendrix, perry) are better for your guitar skills, than a deal with the devil

Keith is well associated with the dark lord as well.  And Clapton and especially Robert Johnson are class. 

7 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

Keith is well associated with the dark lord as well.  And Clapton and especially Robert Johnson are class. 

I'm sure they are.

to my ears, boring af. they indisputedly have "academic" value, but I'll never know why someone would listen to them for pleasure. 15 minutes of clapton improvising? really? Why?

I'd rather listen something like "damage case (motorhead)" which is just fun and games, "go down (AC/DC)", "shortest straw ( metallica)"... you know, anything that's remotely fun really. is it too much asked for music to be actually enjoyable? I'll gladly pass for history lessons like robert johnson or the wonders of blues progression by clapton, and don't even get me started on page's dreadfull, meandering efforts.

Not talking about you in my tirade hereafter, but I'll probably piss off a musical snob here and there, but they shouldn't. If someone is losing their cool because of a musical difference, they're just a douche. it's a free world, we all have our opinions and it is my understanding that there is waaaaay too much musical snobbism going on. Music is fun first and foremost, and it's not a crime to celebrate the more entertaining styles, even if they're musically of lesser importance.

anyway, merry christmass to everyone ;)

• GNFNR 1

29 minutes ago, action said:

I'm sure they are.

to my ears, boring af. they indisputedly have "academic" value, but I'll never know why someone would listen to them for pleasure. 15 minutes of clapton improvising? really? Why?

I'd rather listen something like "damage case (motorhead)" which is just fun and games, "go down (AC/DC)", "shortest straw ( metallica)"... you know, anything that's remotely fun really. is it too much asked for music to be actually enjoyable? I'll gladly pass for history lessons like robert johnson or the wonders of blues progression by clapton, and don't even get me started on page's dreadfull, meandering efforts.

Not talking about you in my tirade hereafter, but I'll probably piss off a musical snob here and there, but they shouldn't. If someone is losing their cool because of a musical difference, they're just a douche. it's a free world, we all have our opinions and it is my understanding that there is waaaaay too much musical snobbism going on. Music is fun first and foremost, and it's not a crime to celebrate the more entertaining styles, even if they're musically of lesser importance.

Fair play to ya, everything ain't for everybody and ain't meant to be, for my part I think Metalica are dreadful, though AC/DC are alright and Motorhead I never really gave a chance though Lemmy was a cool guy judging by this documentary I saw.  I'd take Robert Johnson all day long, Sweet Home Chicago, Love in Vain, 32/20.  And Clapton, the guitar player, fuck man, the guys brilliant, never seen a more precise guitar player who at the same time has so much feel, kinda like BB King in that way.  He's kinda better when he's in a band though, like Cream or Blind Faith etc, solowise I can see your point about the boring.  Page ain't much my cup of tea either, another stalwart of the dark lord :lol:  You could argue that, for the modern age, The Stones kinda bought all this devil shit into play cuz lets face it no one would've heard of Robert Johnson were it not for the British blues boom.  Not no one but I mean he wouldn't be this world famous thing.  Robert Johnson is so good it hurts inside.  Robert Johnson to me is like...compared to other performers its like the difference between Tupac and...I dunno, say Kendrick Lamar or J Cole, I might appreciate what the latter two do but I don't feel em like I feel Tupac.  There's just something about the way with which he plays, in that measured kinda way, something to do with the pacing of it, it has me hanging by a thread every time. 

It might be worth entertaining the notion though that to some people, a great many people even, thats it not an academic thing or a case of going for the academic over entertainment cuz it entertains the fuck out of me, I ain't thinkin' about academia when I get the bug to go listen to 'x' artist, I'm goin' it cuz in that moment I need that shit.

4 hours ago, action said:

I'm sure they are.

Merry Christmas to you too.  Another form of snobbery is thinking that great guitarists are only found in rock.  Country guys like Jerry Reed, Roy Clark, or Chet Atkins could match any of the rock gods.  It's just a matter of differing styles, like you said.  

• Like 1