Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 96 - Doug Grean talks Scott Weiland, Drugs, and SciFi

Doug Grean on Scott Weiland joining VR...

“Just one year he got obsessed with working out, he was so obsessed he would work out in the morning, and then we’d go out to lunch and he’s eat a piece of bread, and he’d be liked, ‘I’ve got to go back to the gym.’ I swear to God, I saw him do it several times. It was around the time Velvet Revolver was forming, and I think he just wanted to be super ultra ripped because he was going to be replacing Axl Rose. He was very nervous about that, he was a huge fan. I’ll tell you a story, no one knows this story. I was there in the living room the day The Project sent over the CD, like a messenger had sent over a CD of song ideas from Duff and Slash, to get Scott interested in being the singer. This is 9 months before their first song. He tells me what it is, and I said, ‘’Well you going to do it?’ He goes, ‘I can’t sing with Slash and Duff. I can’t take over Axl Rose’s place, I just can’t do it.’ He didn’t like celebrity that much. He could have hung out with tons of famous people, and he never did. It was a little intimidating to him. Then 9 months later they offered him a super sweet deal on this soundtrack.”

“They threw a huge chunk of change at them to do that cover, and that started it. Scott was very friendly and liked to collaborate, and so once they did one song, that was it, there was a band. But initially, he was intimidated, and didn’t want anything to do with it.”

“They were super sweethearts, so when Scott saw they were super sweethearts, he thought this is cool, let’s do this.”

• Like 2

Great interview as usual.  Although I am not a musician I definitely connect with what Doug was saying when he mentioned being a 'jack of all trades'.  I think that is what has gotten me as far as I've gone in the TV industry.  Nowadays with increased competition and fast-moving technology you cannot afford to only stay within your wheelhouse.  Good stuff @Gambit83

• GNFNR 1

On 12/19/2018 at 8:51 AM, Gambit83 said:

Doug Grean on Scott Weiland joining VR...

“Just one year he got obsessed with working out, he was so obsessed he would work out in the morning, and then we’d go out to lunch and he’s eat a piece of bread, and he’d be liked, ‘I’ve got to go back to the gym.’ I swear to God, I saw him do it several times. It was around the time Velvet Revolver was forming, and I think he just wanted to be super ultra ripped because he was going to be replacing Axl Rose. He was very nervous about that, he was a huge fan. I’ll tell you a story, no one knows this story. I was there in the living room the day The Project sent over the CD, like a messenger had sent over a CD of song ideas from Duff and Slash, to get Scott interested in being the singer. This is 9 months before their first song. He tells me what it is, and I said, ‘’Well you going to do it?’ He goes, ‘I can’t sing with Slash and Duff. I can’t take over Axl Rose’s place, I just can’t do it.’ He didn’t like celebrity that much. He could have hung out with tons of famous people, and he never did. It was a little intimidating to him. Then 9 months later they offered him a super sweet deal on this soundtrack.”

“They threw a huge chunk of change at them to do that cover, and that started it. Scott was very friendly and liked to collaborate, and so once they did one song, that was it, there was a band. But initially, he was intimidated, and didn’t want anything to do with it.”

“They were super sweethearts, so when Scott saw they were super sweethearts, he thought this is cool, let’s do this.”

That's a cool story there, I can understand Scott being intimidated.  It's also cool that Slash and Duff were so supportive of him.

• Like 2

On 28/12/2018 at 6:37 AM, The Holographic Universe said:

That was a great album. 

On 28/12/2018 at 2:08 AM, Carne_asaDA said:

I can't wait to listen to this. Doug's guitar playing on Happy in Galoshes was of my major influences in my own playing. He was so cool to take the time to respond to Myspace messages back in the day. 

That's still my go-to album although Wildabouts is amazing too! Love it!