Melissa Interview with PeopleAsia Magazine

I can't repeat it often enough, but there is a certain division of labour among the keyboardists of this band. Dizzy is mainly playing the piano and the organ and the other keyboardist (I don't like the terms "first" and "second") is mainly playing the synthesizer and the sampler. 

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Legendador said:

Because Cris Pitman was a gold mine, right?

Blue-haired "thing"? THING? I bet if it was a handsome millenial man you'd be creaming in your panties, right?

Thank God GNR is not what you believe to be and it is not what you think a rock band should stand for.

I wasn’t a fan of Chris Pitman either. I thought he looked like a tool too. 

And you missed the part where I said I don’t hate her because she’s female. I hate her because she is not what Guns N’ Roses is to me - a gloriously sloppy rock n roll band. 

If you think having a J-pop looking thing jumping around like an idiot helps to improve your experience for you, then enjoy it. But she adds zero to the live show to me. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

I wasn’t a fan of Chris Pitman either. I thought he looked like a tool too. 

And you missed the part where I said I don’t hate her because she’s female. 

Blue hair thing? Sounds exactly like that.

Also, sorry to tell you but Guns N' Roses hasn't been what you invision it to be for quite some time now.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, metallex78 said:

I’ll try to be as polite as possible...

But I hate that this blue-haired thing is in Guns N’ Roses. And I hope she has zero to nothing to do with any new music, if we ever get some.

Before all the “I’m sexist” comments chime in, I have nothing against a female being in GN’R

I mean, calling her a blue-haired thing doesn't necessarily help your case to combat those comments lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If anyone is still wondering what kind of stuff Melissa does, it's quite audible in the Apollo soundboard.

Start at the verse (0:37) of Brownstone, she's playing the main riff on her keyboard to 'thicken' the sound.

So what you are saying is that she is doing what the third guitarist was doing during the the Chinese Democracy era. So basically Pitman was only playing the spinning rag all those years?!

3 hours ago, DK6 said:

Calling a young female a "blue haired thing" is pretty poor form really and achieves nothing other than tainting the opinion you're trying to get across.

Adding "it's not because she's female" is a bit like "i'm not racist but....."

GNR gave up on the misogynistic stuff in the early 90's mate - might be time for you to move forward too!

Unfortunately what GNR is to you differs from what it is to Axl Rose!

In terms of current GNR members  no,  however slashs cringy twitter posts leave a lot to be desired. Then axls shirt of a chick in a garbage can....nope guns have moved from misogyny of the past🙄

Edited by Sydney Fan
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Billly B said:

So what you are saying is that she is doing what the third guitarist was doing during the the Chinese Democracy era. So basically Pitman was only playing the spinning rag all those years?!

Ive had a listen and im still on the fence. So whats the difference between what melissa does and just the FOH sound mixer adjusting fader levels on the sound desk to adjust volume and more bottomend/bass on each instrument (drums guitars only).

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

If anyone is still wondering what kind of stuff Melissa does, it's quite audible in the Apollo soundboard.

Start at the verse (0:37) of Brownstone, she's playing the main riff on her keyboard to 'thicken' the sound.

Ive had a listen and im still on the fence. So whats the difference between what melissa does and just the FOH sound mixer adjusting fader levels on the sound desk to adjust volume and more bottomend/bass on each instrument (drums guitars only).

• Like 1

Yep, I’m anti-female because I dislike a member of the band who dresses, styles, and acts like a member of a Japanese Pop group.

If anyone else in the band did that, I would call them out on that too. 

But please, keep telling me how me not liking what Melissa brings to the band makes me a sexist, and how I fail to see the great vision of what she’ll bring to the table of a bunch of aging old rockers.

Bring back Tracy and Roberta I say. At least they were rock n roll attitude and served a purpose...

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

59 minutes ago, metallex78 said:

Yep, I’m anti-female because I dislike a member of the band who dresses, styles, and acts like a member of a Japanese Pop group.

You hear that? That was the sound of the point a lot of us made whooshing above your head :lol:

• Confused 1

She reminds me of those things you fuck into the cistern of the jacks, you get a nice blue flush for a few weeks.

With respect to her role in Guns, she has a good voice and harmonizes well with Axl on stuff like Paradise City, fuktifino what the stuff she has around her does for the sound of Guns N Roses.

I’m 38 so not an old dick but certainly a dick that has miles on it. It think Melissa is there for an audience younger than me. I imagine her input to be something similar to that effect in “This is America” some sub bass fuckology. 

It is what it is and if the band want it there it’s up to them. The new intro to better has some of that stuff happening under the guitars and bass and it sounds cool. 

I’m a guitars, Bass, Drums, MC5 kinda guy when it comes to my Rock n roll and it’s never going to be 1987 for GnR again. I’d like to see what Melissa would bring to a record. I might be horrrifed at the results or surprised.

The biggest letdown about Chinese for me was I had expected a record in the vein of Oh my God, which was a departure in sound and I’d liked to have seen where the band could have gone with that type of Material. Chinese was a bit “normal” compared to what I had expected to hear. 

So who knows, she may add something in the studio.

I reserve judgement. 

#MyWorld2019        #OhMyDistortedHair

I get where metallex is coming from, maybe he could have put it more eloquently I guess... 

but here’s the point he’s trying to get at, guns n roses for the first 27 years never had a smurf, it did have a few aliens along the way I guess 😛 and a few more who seem to be set and staying in the band. Haha 

i get it, frank annoys some people, Richard isn’t Izzy, a girl looking like a smurf on stage is a long way from the image of the band in the 90s and the 80s. 

I used to get all tied up about it too, but after a while I just kind of accepted the band has a history of different line ups over different periods, I guess I just chose my favourite period of the band (illusions) along the way and that’s my vision of what the band was (along with AFD) but in saying that I went to a show with the current line up and it ticked my bucket list... 

do I like Melissa? I don’t love her but I don’t hate her either, she doesn’t do much for my ears (I’m one of the ones who doesn’t notice her much) so it doesn’t overly bother me anymore, I’m probably more prone to bitching about frank 😂

either way, it is what it is. I am one of the minority that hopes they keep touring, I love gnr and I’d love to go again! 

FWIW, Although this version of the band doesn’t overly measure up to its AFD and illusions heyday, I just spent $1400 on a signed guitar by the band when they were out here in 2017 for a charity auction and I love it. 😜

• Like 1

2 hours ago, metallex78 said:

If anyone else in the band did that, I would call them out on that too. 

But please, keep telling me how me not liking what Melissa brings to the band makes me a sexist, and how I fail to see the great vision of what she’ll bring to the table of a bunch of aging old rockers.

Bring back Tracy and Roberta I say. At least they were rock n roll attitude and served a purpose...

So when did Rock N Roll become anything to do with the way you dress? 

You are trying to put Rock N Roll into box and into a theory that its the way you dress. 

Elvis Presley dressed differently was he not Rock N Roll?. What about Chuck Berry? 

Rock N Roll is not about stereotypes in terms of how you dress. That's a modern outlook as people think you need to dress a curtain way to conform to something. 

I would not call wearing bike shorts or a baseball catchers chest protector, kilts or Skirts worn by Axl Rock N Roll. 

Roberta Freemans back ground is in blues, jazz, folk and opera. 

So basically the clothes she wore back in the day were for a stage persona to fit in.  Melissa seems comfortable with being herself and so do the band. 

She is being herself and i respect that. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Haha 1