The Divisive Legacy & Surprising Future of Guns N' Roses' 'Chinese Democracy

7 minutes ago, History2010 said:

Definitive proof that the songs being featured on the NITL tour has helped increase the profile of the album.

And without the record company pushing it on commercial radio, I cant remember the last time i heard any CD on radio, I dont listen often but

• Like 1

Just now, gunsguy said:

And without the record company pushing it on commercial radio, I cant remember the last time i heard any CD on radio, I dont listen often but

I don't care that much about the commercial success of music. Other aspects should be valued much more. 

The quote about Axl releasing everything in 2016 if the reunion didn’t happen just isn’t true. Anyone that has followed the band for 3 months can tell you that wasn’t going to happen. However maybe Axl reunited to avoid releasing anything haha

good article. I think the main point remains that the album was being attacked from fans, the label, managers, and eventually the release of this monsterous album was sabotaged from all angles. Makes you wonder how crazy Axl really is when it comes to his quotes about “surviving this war” and the album being a “miracle” he must have felt like the target everyone was trying to hit. 

14 minutes ago, gunsguy said:

Heard 'Better' on Planet Rock UK on Thursday. Heard 'There Was A Time' during summer also. Although CD songs rarely pop up.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

The quote from Slash has been taken out of context in the article. Slash said that for Axl's guitar playing, not his sound in general.

Full quote:

And the band's guitar ranks have swelled to three - with Rose picking up an axe of his own.
"That tripped me out when I first came back," Slash says. "I figured 'Okay, that's where his focus has been. I haven't really talked to him about it, to tell the truth. I guess he's just been sitting at home, figuring out chords or something. Maybe he's been taking lessons."
So how is he? "How's Izzy?" Slash asks with a laugh."I'm avoiding the question." Well, is he better than Mick Jagger on guitar? "I've never paid attention to Mick Jagger playing guitar, so I couldn't compare them. Rose's sound is a lot more synthetic than anything I would get anywhere close to. That's about all I can say."

http://www.a-4-d.com/t2670-1997-01-dd-interview-with-slash-in-total-guitar

Slash calling Axl by the name "Rose" stands out to me. I don't think he called him that very much? 

Coming from a 1997 article it's hard to tell if theres hints of legalize seeping into Slash's vocabulary - where in a legal document Axl would be referred to by his last name. Or perhaps Mr Rose was his new bosses name. But maybe Slash has called Axl by "Rose" many times and I just didnt notice?

Edited by soon

12 minutes ago, soon said:

Slash calling Axl by the name "Rose" stands out to me. I don't think he called him that very much? 

Coming from a 1997 article it's hard to tell if theres hints of legalize seeping into Slash's vocabulary - where in a legal document Axl would be referred to by his last name. Or perhaps Mr Rose was his new bosses name. But maybe Slash has called Axl by "Rose" many times and I just didnt notice?

You know that things are fucked up when you are calling people by their last name - ask @DieselDaisy

Edited by Sosso
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, soon said:

Indeed, Slash calling Axl by his last name is very odd sounding. To my memory it's the only time Slash referred to Axl like that. Good point about Slash's wording possibly having been influenced by legal documents. Unless the interviewer paraphrased Slash.

11 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Late 90’s early 00’s Slash seemed much more hostile towards Axl than Axl was to Slash but by 04 that had switched. 

I think in mid-00s it was balanced. The peak of Axl's hostility towards Slash was around 2008-10.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Wagszilla said:

Oh and this is exactly the type of piece you write when you’re starting to create demand for a new album. The slow trickle.

Take that as you will.

I agree. Lots of media attention going along with all the new album rumors actually makes me thing something might happen. I know better than to get hyped however.

• GNFNR 1

33 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Indeed, Slash calling Axl by his last name is very odd sounding. To my memory it's the only time Slash referred to Axl like that. Good point about Slash's wording possibly having been influenced by legal documents. Unless the interviewer paraphrased Slash.

I think in mid-00s it was balanced. The peak of Axl's hostility towards Slash was around 2008-10.

Around the time VR went dressed as Axl’s band for Halloween was the turning point. I think Axl could deal with the legal stuff because it was “you quit, I own the name” but the personal trashing of his current band was something that didn’t sit well. That’s when it became psychological and Axl eventually placed blame on all things negative towards Slash. 

6 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

Around the time VR went dressed as Axl’s band for Halloween was the turning point. I think Axl could deal with the legal stuff because it was “you quit, I own the name” but the personal trashing of his current band was something that didn’t sit well. That’s when it became psychological and Axl eventually placed blame on all things negative towards Slash. 

There was no anti-Slash talk between 2002-08 though, apart from the lawsuits/counter-lawsuits and the press release from Axl's lawyer in '06. Axl even said that he "loved the guy" in the beginning of 2006 (that was when there were persistent reunion rumours).

I think what affected/hurt Axl the most was Slash's book )in combination with the fact that CD would have to compete with VR) and that's why he was so venomous against Slash in 2008-10 interviews.

• Like 2