Axl Rose on Looney Tunes episode w/new song

Isn't it obvious that's it's a cell phone recording of a TV screen? That means that it's probably been aired and that also explain why it's in mono.

In my ears, Axl sounds amazing. It's some 92ish in his voice. The song is almost a parody of Acdc, but the actual guitar playing sounds a bit like slash. But for other various reasons, I doubt it's him.

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

Isn't it obvious that's it's a cell phone recording of a TV screen? That means that it's probably been aired and that also explain why it's in mono.

In my ears, Axl sounds amazing. It's some 92ish in his voice. The song is almost a parody of Acdc, but the actual guitar playing sounds a bit like slash. But for other various reasons, I doubt it's him.

We've had this for a few days now:

1 hour ago, Padme said:

According to this article. The song was not written by Axl nor by Angus. One of the song writers has been writing music for Comedy Central and Looney Tunes for a while. I guess Axl was asked to participate. And he was willing to add his voice

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/axl-rose-releases-official-video-for-first-new-song-in-10-years-rock-the-rock/

"Rock The Rock" is the first new recording from Rose since GUNS N' ROSES' latest studio album, "Chinese Democracy", which came out in 2008 and featured only Axl from the classic lineup. However, it appears that Axl did not contribute to the songwriting of "Rock The Rock". The song is registered on BMI as having been written by Joshua Funk and Rob Janas. Funk is an Emmy-nominated composer who has written music for Comedy Central's "Key & Peele", "Wabbit", "The New Looney Tunes", "Scooby Doo: Shaggy's Showdown", "Teachers"and NBC's "Red Nose Day".

Article says that CD is from 2008 and RTR is 1st release since then... Not that RTR is from 2008...

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Italian girl said:

where did you read that?

2 hours ago, Georgina Arriaga said:

Where did you read that?

1 hour ago, lukepowell1988 said:

lol wut?

Yep.. That was my reaction too.. It's a greek article here.

I thought I missed something in all those pages back.

Obviously they lost it in translation.

Edited by nikosgnr

1 hour ago, -Jaro- said:

"Rock The Rock" is the first new recording from Rose since GUNS N' ROSES' latest studio album, "Chinese Democracy", which came out in 2008 and featured only Axl from the classic lineup. However, it appears that Axl did not contribute to the songwriting of "Rock The Rock". The song is registered on BMI as having been written by Joshua Funk and Rob Janas. Funk is an Emmy-nominated composer who has written music for Comedy Central's "Key & Peele", "Wabbit", "The New Looney Tunes", "Scooby Doo: Shaggy's Showdown", "Teachers"and NBC's "Red Nose Day".

Article says that CD is from 2008 and RTR is 1st release since then... Not that RTR is from 2008...

Don't tell me. Tell that to those who believe the song is from 2008. I'm not one of them. Anyway for me what it matters is that Axl didn't write the song. I wonder if has written anything new lately

I think this is lingering too long and people are over analyzing it haha it’s just a cool cartoon cameo thing. Axl can now say he’s been on an episode of looney toons. It was fun, hearing Axl sing again is great. But we  don’t need to start grading the song in a cartoon as an artistic project. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/6/2019 at 11:45 AM, viruzzz said:

I think the most important thing here is that we have proof Axl could be at the studio any time and we wouldnt know before it's released.

^^^ Indeed, this is the most important takeaway.

You'd think one of the animator fanboys hanging out on mylooneytunesforum.com would've posted SOMETHING in the last couple of months along the lines of "Holy shit, today we started animating Axl Rose singing a previously-unheard song!"

To have no hint beforehand from a recording studio janitor, Uber driver or what-have-you is pretty impressive these days.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Blackjacker said:

^^^ Indeed, this is the most important takeaway.

You'd think one of the animator fanboys hanging out on mylooneytunesforum.com would've posted SOMETHING in the last couple of months along the lines of "Holy shit, today we started animating Axl Rose singing a previously-unheard song!"

To have no hint beforehand from a recording studio janitor, Uber driver or what-have-you is pretty impressive these days.

It did kind of leak on Christmas though. It wasn't broadcast, right? If that is correct, I would assume it hasn't been recorded that long ago.

7 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Baffles me why people think this track is any good. Axl sounds good, sure, but the song? It's designed as a joke - a pastiche of AC/DC's ongoing use of the word 'Rock'. It would be an absolute disgrace if it was released as a serious song (which it quite clearly isn't) - and everyone I've played it to has laughed at it. 

Absolutely absurd that people have even suggested it should be played live! I know we're desperate, but surely we have some sort of standards?! 

I suppose it says a lot about rock fans in general that they greet an intentionally derivative and backwards-looking pastiche song as good....and perhaps suggests why the entire genre of music is struggling! 

The positives are of course that Axl has been in a studio and recorded something...and that he did it without anyone leaking that information. 

To me, the biggest take away from this is that Axl can still bring it in the studio.  His voice is not shot, as many on here have declared.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

To me, the biggest take away from this is that Axl can still bring it in the studio.  His voice is not shot, as many on here have declared.

depends on how intensively you use Pro Tools, Auto-Tune and other "stuff" :) 

29 minutes ago, Jw224 said:

I don't think his voice sounds overly processed on this track tbh. 

It isn't. His voice is far from being shot. He's still miles better than most rock singers. It's just certain kind of songs and especially some of his own songs that he struggles on. He could still sing AC/DC easily.

4 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

It isn't. His voice is far from being shot. He's still miles better than most rock singers. It's just certain kind of songs and especially some of his own songs that he struggles on. He could still sing AC/DC easily.

I now believe he chooses to struggle vs kill it. I think the China Exchange interview transcript from 2016 indicated he sings “cleaner” to protect the long term viability of his voice. 

14 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Baffles me why people think this track is any good. Axl sounds good, sure, but the song? It's designed as a joke - a pastiche of AC/DC's ongoing use of the word 'Rock'. It would be an absolute disgrace if it was released as a serious song (which it quite clearly isn't) - and everyone I've played it to has laughed at it. 

Absolutely absurd that people have even suggested it should be played live! I know we're desperate, but surely we have some sort of standards?! 

I suppose it says a lot about rock fans in general that they greet an intentionally derivative and backwards-looking pastiche song as good....and perhaps suggests why the entire genre of music is struggling! 

The positives are of course that Axl has been in a studio and recorded something...and that he did it without anyone leaking that information. 

I agree with everything you said. But I'm also pretty sure Axl knew this would make his fans hysterical and is probably browsing this site every day, eagerly searching for compliments on his vocals and having a fit over every comment about how bad he looked in the late 90s.

2 hours ago, Rock the Cock said:

But I'm also pretty sure Axl knew this would make his fans hysterical and is probably browsing this site every day

No, I don't think Axl meant to create hysteria. He just recorded this song because it was a Looney Tunes episode. If you read his latest tweet. It seems to me he is more concern with U.S. politics than with fans going hysterical.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nycgunner said:

I now believe he chooses to struggle vs kill it. I think the China Exchange interview transcript from 2016 indicated he sings “cleaner” to protect the long term viability of his voice. 

Nah, he didn't say a reason why decided to sing with a cleaner voice on CD. Probably cause he simply liked it better that way. Live though, I highly doubt that the only reason why he sings clean would be to save his voice.

If that was the case, why did he sing everything with rasp in 2010? Why does he still sing those GNR songs with rasp, that require screaming. In other words those songs that fit his voice. Why is it that he clearly tries to sing every part that he can with rasp, but clearly just can't do it on certain parts as much as he seems to try.

Maybe in a studio environment he could still pull off Rocket Queen with full rasp. Who knows? But let's not kid ourselves. His voice is not the same as it was in 2010 and that's okay. Everyones voice changes as they get older and like I said, he's still an incredible vocalist especially when he's singing with the AC/DC voice.

3 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Nah, he didn't say a reason why decided to sing with a cleaner voice on CD. Probably cause he simply liked it better that way. Live though, I highly doubt that the only reason why he sings clean would be to save his voice.

If that was the case, why did he sing everything with rasp in 2010? Why does he still sing those GNR songs with rasp, that require screaming. In other words those songs that fit his voice. Why is it that he clearly tries to sing every part that he can with rasp, but clearly just can't do it on certain parts as much as he seems to try.

Maybe in a studio environment he could still pull off Rocket Queen with full rasp. Who knows? But let's not kid ourselves. His voice is not the same as it was in 2010 and that's okay. Everyones voice changes as they get older and like I said, he's still an incredible vocalist especially when he's singing with the AC/DC voice.

His voice was shit in 2002, so your theory respectfully doesn’t hold up. It was bad in 2014 and then fairly strong in 2016.  I can’t explain it but there is more to it than “Axl is old and his voice is done”

2 hours ago, nycgunner said:

His voice was shit in 2002, so your theory respectfully doesn’t hold up. It was bad in 2014 and then fairly strong in 2016.  I can’t explain it but there is more to it than “Axl is old and his voice is done”

In 2002 I believe he was singing clean because he actually thought that it sounded better that way. The same reason why he used the clean voice on CD. But when fans didn't like that voice he decided to go back to rasp. Now he is getting older and his voice is changing. That's why his voice is clean again. I might be wrong. I might be right.

All I know is, that in 2002 Axl wasn't even trying to use rasp, so it seems like the clean voice was a conscious decision then. Now Axl is clearly trying to use rasp as much as he can, but the voice is what it is. So it seems like there's no going back to 2010. I wish I was wrong and some day Axl would sound like he did in 2010 again. But I doubt it's going to happen. He still sound awesome when he sings songs that fit his voice though. Like for example AC/DC songs.