Sign in to follow this  
AtariLegend

Black Mirror Season 5

There's supposed to be a release on Friday.

It's supposedly either a stand alone "choose your own adventure interactive movie with 5 1/2 hours of footage" or the first episode of the new season. It's listed as Bandersnatch on netflix.

No trailers or synopsis.

Edited by AtariLegend
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

There's supposed to be a release tomorrow.

It's supposedly either a stand alone "choose your own adventure interactive movie with 5 1/2 hours of footage" or the first episode of the new season. It's listed as Bandersnatch on netflix.

No trailers or synopsis.

The "interactive" part really doesn't sit well with me. I want to be told a good story with a point, I don't want to have to sit through roughly the same material multiple times to see a bunch of variations. So yeah, I love Black Mirror and I'd love to see new material, but I'm really not sure about this format.

It's supposedly a spinoff film in the Black Mirror universe. The Netflix landing page lists it as "A Netflix Film". As far as I know there's no indication that season 5 will be debuting anytime soon.

Screen-Shot-2018-12-26-at-6.21.49-AM.png

Hopefully as a UK show this is released at midnight UK time. Instead of 8AM UK like last year for the Americans.

Edited by AtariLegend

Good idea, but I didn't really like the way it played out.  

I'll give it a second try to see if another ending is more satisfactory. 

I liked it overall. I'm going to go through it again over the weekend but it's definitely a neat idea. 

Any idea what the range of potential runtimes is? I’ll be watching it on FaceTime with my girlfriend the first time, so it’d be good to sort of plan how much time I need to allow. 

3 hours ago, Powerage5 said:

Any idea what the range of potential runtimes is? I’ll be watching it on FaceTime with my girlfriend the first time, so it’d be good to sort of plan how much time I need to allow. 

90 mins in theory is the upper time I think supposedly, however it'll feel the actual episode is shorter since it forces you to redo most of the choices. There's more than 2 choices for alot of the situations, but you only get them from trying again. There's a semi sort of game over screen where it'll end and force you to retake choices.

Having went through to 2 different credits twice (actual endings where you aren't presented with the option to go back); I've decided that it's an interesting idea, but not a very fun episode.I'd have preferred a straight story/film. Though I can see why they wanted to try this concept out first. There'll be more films like this in the future.

I read an interesting piece about this concerning privacy. They raised some points about how this allows netflix to actually register your preferences and analyse your personality traits. This could be used to tune future movies to general preference etc, but also to target advertising and show. 

I haven't seen this yet, but I want to. Even though I still don't like the format, I want to be told a story, not form the story. And with this format I tend to want to see every possibility. Which seems very time-consuming, so that makes me want to not bother. But I probably will.

I didn't understand that this was interactive when I started watching. It took me until the part where 

Spoiler

netflix is mentioned in a meta way

to get it. :facepalm:

Turns out if you don't interact then it defaults to the left hand choice all the time. I went back in a couple of times once I stopped being dense but you only get a satisfactory ending to the game build if

Spoiler

you kill Dad and chop him up. Only then does the Bandersnatch game succeed with a 5/5 rating. Bad news if like me you were trying to avoid killing Dad.

However the nicest ending (if you can call it that) is

Spoiler

Finding Mr Rabbit and choosing to join Mum on the train but this does have the side effect of Stefon dying sat in the Psychiatrist's chair.

It was a fun, quick watch. Idea was better than execution but can lead to better imemented "choose your own" episodes of things. 

Overall, it was fun

Finally watched it. I agree with the general consensus that it’s a fun idea but maybe not the most exciting episode. Loved the big action Netflix ending. Want to try it again without the acid trip, see if it is more sensical. 

On 5/15/2019 at 11:13 PM, AtariLegend said:

Yes, yes, YES. Can't wait!

Bummed it's only three episodes, but excited for some new material!