"All of the material that hadn't been released was coming out in 2016, then the reunion happened." Tom Zutaut

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

Because, Axl. 

Axl should just get all this stuff and release as solo albums. Duff is getting one out, Slash got one, both will be touring solo material next year. Axl should just release it as Axl Rose, get the nugnr guys back and do a solo tour. 

Then get GNR back and record an album featuring songs from the current lineup. 

Why everything has to be so complicated with this guy eh? Some people just seems to love drama.

Edited by default_
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

The bands that release stuff now wont match what they released in the past due to where the band and us fans were at a certain stage in life and where we are now. What guns do next will be interesting in terms of music and lyrics.

I hope so. Slash’s solo material is bland and uninteresting to me. Myles is just a generic rock singer and subpar lyricist. The song titles could be an REO Speedwagon record. Maybe Axl’s lyrics can elevate the material. We’ll see. I personally don’t want a rehash of the classic sound. Whether people bought CD or not, it definitely pointed to a continual evolution. I imagine anything they do will be very safe commercially.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, HollyWoodRose84 said:

After the Vegas shows were completed, there was 100000000% serious discussions about getting the rest of the material out the following year. Then Ron left, DJ left and the reunion fell into place. Shit happens. Life goes on. Here’s to new shit in 2019. 

Pretty much this.

We've been down this road before.  There was every intention to release new material in 2016 before certain members walked away for their own reasons.  Can't say for sure if it was actually going to happen, but it was on the radar and the reunion changed whatever the plans were at the time considerably.  

And this is just my guess, not based on anything other than my own intuition, but I think those plans for 2016 were simply put on hold.  I don't think Axl ever had any intention of walking away from all the music that's sitting there.  But again, that's just me speculating, and not based on anything I've heard.  I still remain optimistic that we'll hear something, but have no idea when that something will happen.  

• GNFNR 2

Reunion No doubt. I think the Reunion has done more good for Guns N Roses than any CD II album would have. Outside of the hardcore fan, no one else gave a fuck about GNR in 2014.. With Slash and Duff back and Axl's rep largely rehabilitated they'll draw much more interest if they ever release something new than that 2009-2014 GNR lineup could have ever dreamed of. 

• Like 1

I love Chinese Democracy, however, i prefer the semi-reunion due to multiple reasons:

1) It actually improves the chance of a new album. More people are now interested in new GN'R material. What CD songs Slash and Duff decide to work on can be included in a new album while the rest can be relegated to a boxset. This is better than the limbo we were in, as now the band has multiple avenues to pursue and has been given a new lease on life.

2) It reinvigorated the band. Guns N' Roses is now one of the biggest bands on the planet again. The band is getting more attention, radio stations are playing more of their songs, and more people are streaming them and wearing their merchandise.

3) Axl and GN'R are no longer a laughing stock. Axl was frequently the butt of many jokes among the industry and fans until he reunited with Slash and Duff. His performance during the NITL tour and Rock or Bust tour further garnered respect from audiences.

Edited by Live Like a Suicide
  • Like 2

I'm glad the reunion happened in 2016 when they were not 65 yo. I do believe Axl was going to do something with the second half of Chinese. maybe we would have gotten "CD ll" with Robin and Bucket but also DJ and what Bumblefoot has already recorded on the remaining 16 unreleased tunes. (he said he recorded on about 30 tracks including what got released)

personally I care more about original studio material and I don't actually believe this rumor. Now it's kinda a long game. Hopefully they'll release (at least) one more great record.

if another Guns album will get released and it features some unreleased Chinese material, ideally Axl will keep at least a few Bucket and Robin solos, like the best leads they've come up with if it's on songs that would still fit whatever album they will try to create and the rest of it is Slash basically soloing all over the album like he did in Guns in the past and the album will consist of some totally new tunes and some old ones.

it will also be logical to just let Slash handle all of it but who knows if there will ever be a Chinese box set with the original Chinese work. Either way, if anything gets released I'm sure I'll enjoy at least some of it. they're all great guitar players and I trust Axl to know what works best for a potential album.

Edited by Rovim

9 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Read a quotation from Zutaut recently and it got me thinking, what would I prefer if it was a choice between getting all the remaining Chinese Era music or a reunion in 2016.

I bet there’d be some pretty diverse options amongst fans, so what are your thoughts? 

New music, without question. If I want to see classic GN'R I go to Youtube, not this pseudo-reunion which is only a weak shadow of what GN'R once was.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

Nah, Slash was still on drugs. Slash needed to be many years sober before a reunion was a possibility.

Why?

Ever since Gn'R broke up Slash has been very active as a musician, releasing new music and touring around the globe with the multiple bands he has founded or joined.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nosaj Thing said:

Real Gn'R getting back together or the leftovers of the godawful album Chinese Democracy?  That can't be a real question.

Remember it isn't "Real Gun's N Roses" because there is no Izzy (or Steven, I guess.)

Remember that these are not all B-sides, as a follow up to CD was planned.  

All I'm saying is that it is not really an accurate question to say "The AFD lineup or CD outtakes?"  

It's a partial reunion or 20+ studio tracks.  That's a harder question, even though I like the reunion. 

• Like 1

The reunion. I didn't become a fan because of CD. However I believe Axl missed the opportunity. He should've taken advantage of all the hype. GN'R was popular again. He could've released an EP with some of the CD leftover back in late 2016 or 2017. Slash and Duff could've added a few changes to those songs.

11 hours ago, gavgnr said:

Read a quotation from Zutaut recently and it got me thinking, what would I prefer if it was a choice between getting all the remaining Chinese Era music or a reunion in 2016.

I bet there’d be some pretty diverse options amongst fans, so what are your thoughts? 

Everything that doesn't feature DJ Ashba >>>> Anything featuring DJ Ashba. 

Would I have preferred the leftovers from a time period that turned GNR into an absolute joke and relegated Axl to playing theatres and bowling alleys, or would I have preferred Axl, Slash, and Duff onstage again with Axl sounding generally pretty great throughout 2016 and playing 3-hour sets in stadiums around the world, thus resurrecting Axl's reputation and restoring GNR to a titan of the rock industry?

Hmmm, big think 🤔