"All of the material that hadn't been released was coming out in 2016, then the reunion happened." Tom Zutaut

There's no reason to suggest we won't have both; is there? This band has greatly relied on tracks from members during other band stints, and outside writers; I don't think Slash and Duff would have any qualms about taking Axl songs from CD sessions and adding to them. Obviously I'd love to hear more Buckethead and Robin, but I think we just have to accept that part of GN'R ended in 2004 and 2008 respectively. 

Honestly we can only hope for some recycled CD tunes in the new record, if we get one, and hopefully some more 2006-2010 bootlegs. Man I'd kill for the Osaka show in soundboard. I JUST WANT AN IF THE WORLD SOUNDBOARD DAMNIT. At least higher quality than the Tokyo IEM

1 hour ago, donny said:

if you had say 40 songs recorded for a trilogy it would make no sense whatsoever to just put the best songs on the 1st album. what would that leave you with for parts 2&3 ?

some good songs (or potential hits) would have been held back. 

36 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I'd love to hear what chinese was meant to be as a full.

Let's remember that YCBM, November Rain and Dont Cry among others didn't make AFD.

I'm sure Axl has some gems left...in fact I think he has plenty of them.

TIME WILL TELL

Exactly this. It suprises me how many people find this such a difficult concept to grasp though, either that or they are just determined to trash anything NuGuns recorded.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

Exactly this. It suprises me how many people find this such a difficult concept to grasp though, either that or they are just determined to trash anything NuGuns recorded.

Whilst certain aspects of the fan base do “trash”  anything new guns recorded, it’s also a fair to say that a large majority of the fans have reason to dismiss CD, and it’s their right to have that opinion. That’s been discussed a million times before so I won’t go over it.

i will say this, each fan is entitled their opinion. You like CD and want to see what’s left, I’m no remotely interested.. that’s life... no point getting tied up over it. 😜

• Like 1

As a long long time Gn'R fan we just don't have enough shit released from the golden era.  I want live video concerts from the classic era's. For as big as teh band was back then, we have almost nothing.. Kind of a shame for fans.

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, Azifwekare said:

Whilst certain aspects of the fan base do “trash”  anything new guns recorded, it’s also a fair to say that a large majority of the fans have reason to dismiss CD, and it’s their right to have that opinion. That’s been discussed a million times before so I won’t go over it.

i will say this, each fan is entitled their opinion. You like CD and want to see what’s left, I’m no remotely interested.. that’s life... no point getting tied up over it. 😜

3 hours ago, donny said:

if you had say 40 songs recorded for a trilogy it would make no sense whatsoever to just put the best songs on the 1st album. what would that leave you with for parts 2&3 ?

Although to be fair if you had enough songs recorded for a trilogy though wouldn't it make sense then... to put out a trilogy?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, WhazUp said:

Although to be fair if you had enough songs recorded for a trilogy though wouldn't it make sense then... to put out a trilogy?

for an artist, yes. but in Axls words "my hands are tied" 

for a label to put the music out it has to make financial sense. and there are 14 millions reasons why it doesn't. 

3 hours ago, donny said:

Metallica did it with load and reload. Load was awesome and reload sucked

7 minutes ago, WhazUp said:

Although for a label to invest so much money into those recording sessions, wouldn't it be fair to assume that not doing anything with those recordings is worse than putting them out even purely digitally to reduce costs of reproduction, and to have it not sell as much as they would want? 

At this point I don't believe Axl is entirely innocent regarding why we didn't get more than what we got from 1996 through 2014 IMO of course 

the online way sounds the best idea to recoup some money. surely cheaper than having several million CDs pressed and shipped around the world.

you have to think about royalties to though. haven't we heard small clips of both the title song and This i love from the 90s Slash era ? 

imagine getting all of the past members and hangers on from over the decades and paying them their share. there would be nothing left. 

its a sad state of affairs for the fans that just want to hear the music and dont give a shit about the politics. 

3 hours ago, Tadsy said:

Of course everyone has their own tastes, some people like CD and some don't, no big deal. But when people say, "Why release tracks not good enough for the worst album", they kind of miss the point that it's not about what wasn't good enough the first time round, the tracks were actually intended for future albums. For example, Axl was saving The General for the third album, and from what Baz said, he had thematic reasons for doing so, and according to others who have heard it, it seems to be a case of saving the best for last.

As already mentioned before, using some people's logic, You Could Be Mine, November Rain etc. weren't "good enough" for AFD. When people come out with that kind of thing it comes across as if they're just saying it because it gives them one more way of dismissing an entire part of the band's history, because everyone knows by now that it was supposed to be more than just one album.

But hey, no skin off my nose, just pointing out something I noticed.

• Like 1

On 27/12/2018 at 5:19 PM, gavgnr said:

Read a quotation from Zutaut recently and it got me thinking, what would I prefer if it was a choice between getting all the remaining Chinese Era music or a reunion in 2016.

I bet there’d be some pretty diverse options amongst fans, so what are your thoughts? 

Why not both. 

But looking back at it, i choose chinese. 

Orrrrr a new album. I think now they should release an album with this lineup and release chinese unreleased at retirement or as bonus track. 

So Axl couldn't get the record label to give a rat's ass about CD2 back in 2010 but suddenly the entire CD era material was going to drop like a turd from the sky in 2015? Either Zutaut said that in jest or his access to the band's inner circle is even worse than Doug Goldstein's. Besides, we all know Rose hates releasing anything except lawsuits and worthless merch.

Edited by RONIN
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

Of course everyone has their own tastes, some people like CD and some don't, no big deal. But when people say, "Why release tracks not good enough for the worst album", they kind of miss the point that it's not about what wasn't good enough the first time round, the tracks were actually intended for future albums. For example, Axl was saving The General for the third album, and from what Baz said, he had thematic reasons for doing so, and according to others who have heard it, it seems to be a case of saving the best for last.

As already mentioned before, using some people's logic, You Could Be Mine, November Rain etc. weren't "good enough" for AFD. When people come out with that kind of thing it comes across as if they're just saying it because it gives them one more way of dismissing an entire part of the band's history, because everyone knows by now that it was supposed to be more than just one album.

But hey, no skin off my nose, just pointing out something I noticed.

Agree mate. 

I think the main discrepancy comes with who the band members were in the nuguns era, and perhaps the level of quality of the songs from AFD/UYI era as opposed to CD. 

A lot of fans don’t consider the CD body of work to be at the same level. In saying that, as you rightly point out, no one knows the quality of what hasn’t been released yet and I take that point on. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, RONIN said:

So Axl couldn't get the record label to give a rat's ass about CD2 back in 2010 but suddenly the entire CD era material was going to drop like a turd from the sky in 2015?

I've never really read about the 2010 rumour. Do we have any actual facts backing the claim that the record label rejected CD2 in 2010, or is it just some wannabe insider information?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I've never really read about the 2010 rumour. Do we have any actual facts backing the claim that the record label rejected CD2 in 2010, or is it just some wannabe insider information?

I think they rejected the remix album. 

17 hours ago, donny said:

the online way sounds the best idea to recoup some money. surely cheaper than having several million CDs pressed and shipped around the world.

you have to think about royalties to though. haven't we heard small clips of both the title song and This i love from the 90s Slash era ? 

imagine getting all of the past members and hangers on from over the decades and paying them their share. there would be nothing left. 

its a sad state of affairs for the fans that just want to hear the music and dont give a shit about the politics. 

No, we have not heard either of these. Wishing it to be so, does not make it so.

15 hours ago, RONIN said:

So Axl couldn't get the record label to give a rat's ass about CD2 back in 2010 but suddenly the entire CD era material was going to drop like a turd from the sky in 2015? Either Zutaut said that in jest or his access to the band's inner circle is even worse than Doug Goldstein's. Besides, we all know Rose hates releasing anything except lawsuits and worthless merch.

Record labels had evolved drastically between 2010-2016 and then fine tuned how they generate revenue. Also UMG, went through some considerable changes internally that could have made the process less volatile. With a better understanding in what they’d could expect to generate from a release, maybe that changed some perspective...or not 

Still who knows how close they were to an actual release. I believe the band/Axl legitimately wanted to release the material. However over those years, it seemed to be only if it made sense in the execution and somehow benefited themselves with their situation. They’d most certainly want some backing from the label on a marketing/priority level and also possibly an advance at some point.

That’s possibly a big commitment for the label considering what they might owe on a record option when that contract was signed (who knows what the number is in how many times that’s been renegotiated) compared to what they’d forecast an Axl led GNR release would generate mainly through streaming and less so physical sales.

Thing is this. Relying solely on streaming/physical is not exactly how they make $ today on a large scale. Especially if they are putting marketing spend behind the project. UMG would want a hand in multiple rev streams to guarantee the financial backing of the project to the band’s liking. Touring, merch, etc..

Would GNR had been willing to negotiate on that level to facility the type of release they wanted? Or was GNR now in a position where they had to concede, renegotiate a low cost release in UMG’s favor just to reignite interest on a touring level?

Suddenly the Slash/Duff option starts to look a little bit better.