How would everyone feel if GNR released another double album as a comeback?

Id hope for CD2, the 96 sessions and the Project sessions.

Thing is, as far as a double album goes, the CD2 disk would be mixed and mastered differently then the more classic stuff. Sure they could take care to offer some sort of consistent sonic profile between the discs, but it remains that they are very different beasts. Would feel more like a small box set then a cohesive double album. Id buy that right up. But if something is presented as a double album I would really hope that it has a uniform sound and organic track order. In the case of 'clearing the vaults' - call it that and present each disc as a stand alone album.

The band once released a double album as two separate albums, so releasing separate albums as one package actually has some symmetry.

• Like 1

Two 10 - 12 song albums without fillers (looking at you My World and Don't Cry [alt. version]) would be the bee's knees.

I personally wouldn't mind if the old Axl songs and the new NITL-lineup songs were mixed in together. It would probably work better than if they would be separeted to disc 1 and disc 2.

It would be cool if they'd release those albums one year apart from each other. I would also like if there were some lyrical and musical links between the two records. It would be cool to go on a musical journey of somekind.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1

As a fan of anything with Axl on it, I want as much material as possible to release. Had Illusions not been a double album, we may have never gotten part 2.

That said, the smart move would be for GNR to do what most artists do today, and that's either a single or an EP. Six to eight songs. Then tour it. And halfway through the tour, another EP with six to eight songs.

I don't expect GNR to suddenly become prolific in regard to album releases. My dream has always been an MTV Unplugged style session. 

But some of what you guys are saying doesn't make business sense. One album, all Axl CD songs, and second part of double album to be all new stuff written by current lineup. That's silly. 

Edited by GnR Chris

4 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Two 10 - 12 song albums without fillers (looking at you My World and Don't Cry [alt. version]) would be the bee's knees.

I personally wouldn't mind if the old Axl songs and the new NITL-lineup songs were mixed in together. It would probably work better than if they would be separeted to disc 1 and disc 2.

It would be cool if they'd release those albums one year apart from each other. I would also like if there were some lyrical and musical links between the two records. It would be cool to go on a musical journey of somekind.

No way, they need to be released at the same time, UYI style, with no chance to pull the plug. We all know what happened last time Axl planned a series of albums...

59 minutes ago, GnR Chris said:

That said, the smart move would be for GNR to do what most artists do today, and that's either a single or an EP. Six to eight songs. Then tour it. And halfway through the tour, another EP with six to eight songs.

Do they?

In a way CD is two or three records mixed together. Scraped, Sorry, Shackler’s seem to come out of Costanzo sessions in 2004. I know the origins of those songs could go back to 1999 or whatever. It’s maybe why people niggle about CD production. There’s all these different sounds and productions. But if you lay Chi dem and Sorry next to each other they seem like are from different records. 

So I think if Slash reworks some tracks and adds parts solos, then the newer stuff won’t stand out as much as if you just drop Slither and Fall to Pieces in to CD. 

• Like 1

Just now, jamillos said:

In any case, what I definitely wouldn't want is a collection of just ChD II songs reworked by Slash, with Axl's vocals from 2000. That's not a proper album. 

But I don't think that's what's gonna happen. 

I just think the way Axl works on things, it takes a while. Slash and Duff have said Axl has a ton of material so it seems like that will come into play somehow. Whether that is actually CD II material is impossible to know. 

What I came to realize is that Slash didn’t write everything in old Guns from scratch. He was collabing with writers like Axl and Izzy and Duff. So would be that different to work on Axl, Tobias, Stinson, Dizzy and Fortus songs as well as his own and Duffs?

Edited by wasted

1 hour ago, wasted said:

I just think the way Axl works on things, it takes a while. Slash and Duff have said Axl has a ton of material so it seems like that will come into play somehow. Whether that is actually CD II material is impossible to know. 

What I came to realize is that Slash didn’t write everything in old Guns from scratch. He was collabing with writers like Axl and Izzy and Duff. So would be that different to work on Axl, Tobias, Stinson, Dizzy and Fortus songs as well as his own and Duffs?

Like I said somewhere before, a mixture would be perfect.

- Axl's solo stuff redone by Slash and the guys

- Old material from the 90s, "unwanted illusions"

- New tunes they've created together since 2015

That would be just awesome.

30 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Like I said somewhere before, a mixture would be perfect.

- Axl's solo stuff redone by Slash and the guys

- Old material from the 90s, "unwanted illusions"

- New tunes they've created together since 2015

That would be just awesome.

Sounds about right. Slash can bring all these strands together. Whether you see it as Chinese Illusions or Illusions of Democracy is up to you. 

10 hours ago, jamillos said:

In any case, what I definitely wouldn't want is a collection of just ChD II songs reworked by Slash, with Axl's vocals from 2000. That's not a proper album. 

But I don't think that's what's gonna happen. 

That's 100% what's gonna happen (assuming there is another album).

On 28-12-2018 at 10:23 PM, StrangerInThisTown said:

Would that be a good idea? One side could be the "Axl" side with reworked things from CD sessions and the other album would be completely fresh material written by the current band. Would be a great way to get out both things at the same time, instead of us getting an Axl album with Slash and Duff parts, or have all the Axl stuff never see the light of day.

I definitely would settle for this. I'd also probably wake up soon. 

However, in my perfect world, the CD material would be in it's 1998-2004 form. That was it's original intention, a way to re-invent Guns n' Roses. So that's what I'd be most interested in. I want to know what direction that would have gone.

In order of preference: 

1. New album by reunion GnR with new material

2. CD material in it's 1998-2004 form

3. Re-worked CD material

7 minutes ago, Azifwekare said:

Is that Axl's Shadow Project? Or something else?

The Project was just the name that Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy used for their jamming/regrouping for what eventually became VR. Im fuzzy on the details.

Im not sure if Izzy was around for all of it, but its my impression that he was. Recordings of the 4 of them were handed over to Weiland.

1 hour ago, soon said:

The Project was just the name that Slash, Duff, Matt and Izzy used for their jamming/regrouping for what eventually became VR. Im fuzzy on the details.

Im not sure if Izzy was around for all of it, but its my impression that he was. Recordings of the 4 of them were handed over to Weiland.

According to slashs book he was until scott officially was in the band and izzy left.

• Thanks 1