If Slash quit GNR again would the brand survive?

1 hour ago, Sydney Fan said:

In terms of your first paragraph, i wasnt meaning that you were one of those fans  so apologies. 🙂

In terms of the second paragraph i really think he was doing it on purpose as a way of enticing more fans to the show, but im sure with no music on the horizon nuguns fans may have seen to be moving on.

I agree, I know by 2014 I was pretty worn out. And that feeling was there from about 2012.

On 30/12/2018 at 12:51 PM, Propaganda said:

I believe it was DJ who brought that sponsor to Guns btw...

He brought this charismatic Chinese Democracy start:

Guns N' Roses

He brought his clothing line to the play and Axl even copied it and started wearing jeans like his.

guns n roses   credito felipe panfili Show do Guns N Roses: Axl é o rockstar bomba

Not to mention that Axl finally felt comfortable to release a live dvd with him in the band. He was the missing key. Axl saw the potential in him, which is why he wanted to bring him to the mix in the reunion gig.

As for his talent as a guitar player. He's certainly a better songwriter than Bumblefoot. He even wrote songs for Motley Crue, so that is enough to prove my point. He's in a successful band, which Bumblefoot is not. To me he's much better doing solos. It's a shame his contributions weren't on Chinese Democracy, for obvious reasons, because I think his input would have done much more creatively than what Bumblefoot's did.

I think it's fair to say that a lot of people didn't like Bumblefoot's contributions on Chinese Democracy, namely his guitar parts.

If you look at the shows solo spots, he even contributed more to that than Bumblefoot. So to me his input on GNR was of much more value.

Not to say that Bumblefoot isn't talented. I'm not a big fan of his solo work but the dude obviously has talent. He's also a very nice guy, and has been a very nice guy to the fans. But so is DJ. I have interacted with both and DJ and was quite nice too.

@RussTCB When you quoted me I still hadn't edited my post. Sorry about that. :rofl-lol:

There's so much here that I don't agree with.

Ashba wrote on the worst motley record, his solo spots during the show were the exact definition of piss break... Minor pentatonic noodling over a rock ballad backing... It's not earth shattering, progressive or even interesting! Also his successfull bands are successful through nixxi sixx. I mean you could argue Art of anarchy was successful, they placed on the charts and rock radio... Doesn't mean it was good!

Now, his clothing line.... I mean if you like it you, you like it! But to me it was hard to stomach. I hated that he used the gnr name in association with his other businesses.... And I remember Axl complaining about other members hijacking gnr for personal gain... So I just don't understand how he missed the biggest offender. 

As for the entrance, that was almost certainly designed by Axl.

Bumble was not a perfect fit, but he played extraordinarily well, sang well and was there to play music... Not sell brands. Obviously he was interested in furthering his career. I know I checked out his solo music because of his work with guns. I like his music, it's not for everybody granted! but it's far more musical than anything ashba has ever recorded. Ashba from my perspective seemed to write and play music for fame and adulation, bumble no matter what anyone says plays for reasons that are led by creativity.

Also, bumbles contributions to the song Chinese democracy made that song work on a whole new level. His solos on scraped etc. Were off the wall! But the songs were too! and they needed crazy guitar Solos to compliment crazy arrangements.

Edited by Tom2112
  • Like 1

Ashba is the worst.

He is the least talented guitar player GnR has ever had (maybe Tobias it's hard to say...).

He just came across as such a poser to me.  Trying to act like a cool rock star.  I remember seeing him live at a show gnr did in 2014 and he was so cringe worthy on stage.  Acting like someone you would expect to see in a movie playing a guitar player.  

He always came across to me as someone much more worried about his image than his playing.  He would mess up on GnR songs all the time.  I am sure he was talented enough to get them right but I don't think he ever put the effort into really nailing it.

I'm sure he is a nice guy, and I am not saying he isn't talented.  But man.  He was a bad fit for GnR.  In a band that became a parody of itself he was one of the key reasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not according to almost everyone I talked to after the shows around here and I know quite a few people that went. That can also be said for all the people I know posting on social media during and after the shows. Not to mention the majority of the people here. Slash is absolutely the highlight of the tour. There really is no case that can be made for anyone else on that stage. 

Ok, put in Myles and the conspirators then and call it GNR THEN we'll see how big the venues are, and how people actually care enough to go and check it out. 

Slash was a highlight for many, but it was the combination of Slash AND Axl that people had been waiting 23yrs for. 

I also like to point out that there are lots of people who don't use social media, as well as lots of live reviews that said things along the lines of "I love Slash, and he's a iconic guitar player, but we came for songs! Not 20 minute blues indulgences" that's also my opinion, he actually made the shows drag in places and It was Axl who had to come back out on stage who got the crowd interested again. People put up with guitar Solos, they prefer to sing along.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Slash was a highlight for many, but it was the combination of Slash AND Axl that people had been waiting 23yrs for.

I completely agree with this part of your post. I actually like the guitar solos :P

But it's obvious to most that the Axl + Slash combo is what makes big venues sell out. Both are essential imo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Not according to almost everyone I talked to after the shows around here and I know quite a few people that went. That can also be said for all the people I know posting on social media during and after the shows. Not to mention the majority of the people here. Slash is absolutely the highlight of the tour. There really is no case that can be made for anyone else on that stage.

It would be hard to argue against. There's goodwill and dollar signs when Slash's image is a part of the GNR "brand".

Guns played the Sound Academy in Toronto in 2013, and I believe capacity was under 10,000.

Only three years later, the semi-reunion played a sold out Skydome to roughly 50,000 +.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

as well as lots of live reviews that said things along the lines of "I love Slash, and he's a iconic guitar player, but we came for songs! Not 20 minute blues indulgences" that's also my opinion, he actually made the shows drag in places and It was Axl who had to come back out on stage who got the crowd interested again. People put up with guitar Solos, they prefer to sing along.

He has one solo spot, which leads into bis godfather cover.  Usually it lasts less than 8 minutes.

I mean I guess you could you could count their 4 minute instrumental cover of wish you were here.

Still you are talking probably 10-15 minutes a 3 hour show.

Before Slash came back you had Dizzy's solo, BBF's, DJ's and Ashba's, which I can assure you NOBODY cared about.

The band is much more focused on performing songs now than they were years ago 

Edited by Bitchisback
Added
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bitchisback said:

He has one solo spot, which leads into bis godfather cover.  Usually it lasts less than 8 minutes.

I mean I guess you could you could count their 4 minute instrumental cover of wish you were here.

Still you are talking probably 10-15 minutes a 3 hour show.

Before Slash came back you had Dizzy's solo, BBF's, DJ's and Ashba's, which I can assure you NOBODY cared about.

The band is much more focused on performing songs now than they were years ago 

His blues solo and Godfather cover are always at least 10 mins, probably closer to 15 mins since 2017. Then there's Layla, Wish You Were Here, and the extended solos on GNR songs (Rocket Queen, DTJ, end of SCOM, intro's to Patience, KOHD, etc). There's probably half an hour of the show that's just extra soloing/noodling from Slash. I'm not complaining since I think he's the star of the show, but I can see why others aren't thrilled with extra solos...

6 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

His blues solo and Godfather cover are always at least 10 mins, probably closer to 15 mins since 2017. Then there's Layla, Wish You Were Here, and the extended solos on GNR songs (Rocket Queen, DTJ, end of SCOM, intro's to Patience, KOHD, etc). There's probably half an hour of the show that's just extra soloing/noodling from Slash. I'm not complaining since I think he's the star of the show, but I can see why others aren't thrilled with extra solos...

Honestly it is a mute point because Axl probably can't perform 2 hours and 30 mins without the breaks.

The breaks allow him to perform more songs.

I am sure 99% of people would rather have a 3 hour show full of gnr classics than a 2 hour show missing a song like Coma.

What world do you live in where you see people leaving GnR shows saying "man that was a good show but they played too long" "yeah Dave they did, and it would have been better if Slash didn't come" looooool

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bitchisback said:

Honestly it is a mute point because Axl probably can't perform 2 hours and 30 mins without the breaks.

The breaks allow him to perform more songs.

I am sure 99% of people would rather have a 3 hour show full of gnr classics than a 2 hour show missing a song like Coma.

What world do you live in where you see people leaving GnR shows saying "man that was a good show but they played too long" "yeah Dave they did, and it would have been better if Slash didn't come" looooool

Honestly, I would prefer a shorter set. The 2016 shows I saw were all around 2 hr 45 min I think, and that's still pretty fuckin long, but the extra 45 mins worth of music at the 2017 shows I saw was just longer solos and extra covers. Slither and SOYL are cool additions but they could honestly swap those for Coma, and never butcher Coma again. I was thrilled when they brought that song back but it's just painful to listen to now. Most people don't even seem to know Coma anyway, not sure why you used that as an example of something 99% of people wanna hear :lol:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly, I would prefer a shorter set. The 2016 shows I saw were all around 2 hr 45 min I think, and that's still pretty fuckin long, but the extra 45 mins worth of music at the 2017 shows I saw was just longer solos and extra covers. Slither and SOYL are cool additions but they could honestly swap those for Coma, and never butcher Coma again. I was thrilled when they brought that song back but it's just painful to listen to now. Most people don't even seem to know Coma anyway, not sure why you used that as an example of something 99% of people wanna hear :lol:

The show I saw in 2016 in New York they played 22 songs not including solos.  The show they played in 2017 they played 27 songs without solos and it was amazing.

Different strokes for different folks but I enjoy GnR and I want them to play as much as possible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wasted said:

I think if Slash quits and Dj, Ron and Tommy come back to release CD II the band would continue to tour. 

But Slash and Duff aren’t going to quit. 

I personally don't care about the touring aspect of GUNS. New album all the way for me no matter who is involved. But that hardly ever happens. If Slash is money crazy because of the divorce or has a big ego I think he has a great case for negotiating. He may be completely satisfied....and probably is....with the deal he got. Somehow I've always pictured this like a divorced couple getting back together and then realize later.... OH YEAH, NOW I REMEMBER WHY I CAN'T STAND YOU. But its been a great reunion as far as we know. This whole thread is hypothetical just out of my boredom to discuss the old Axl vs Slash bit.:lol:

Just now, gnfnrs1972 said:

I personally don't care about the touring aspect of GUNS. New album all the way for me no matter who is involved. But that hardly ever happens. If Slash is money crazy because of the divorce or has a big ego I think he has a great case for negotiating. He may be completely satisfied....and probably is....with the deal he got. Somehow I've always pictured this like a divorced couple getting back together and then realize later.... OH YEAH, NOW I REMEMBER WHY I CAN'T STAND YOU. But its been a great reunion as far as we know. This whole thread is hypothetical just out of my boredom to discuss the old Axl vs Slash bit.:lol:

Slash was saying they all want to do a new record. Part of me wants to hear what Slash’s new Guns material would be like. 

I guess there’s something there to the NITL tour being a safe thing to do, money, fans, everyone happy. 

But there could be some sort of differences about musical direction and frequency of releases. 

2 hours ago, gnfnrs1972 said:

I think in this case though Axl isn't the same person he was 20 years ago.

I think for Slash and Duff it's like remembering all the things they loved about Ax without having all the baggage he carried before.

I think the three of them will be around in GnR until the end 

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1