Lots of old Recordings

3 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Question is, I wonder if that 95 rehearsal tape had vox or not.

Did you know the entire lot of the Stones' rehearsals for Satanic Majesties' Request as well as some other of the earlier records was gonna be tossed in the trash in the early 90s but a fan who worked at the company managed to save it? Imagine - a band that big - huge chunks of rehearsal and behind the scenes stuff was just treated like disposable old junk the band had long since forgotten. You had over 90 hours of rehearsals for just one album - up to a dozen takes of each song or so, with band chatter and the songs coming together and being arranged - which would've been lost to history if not for the fan(s).

Speaking of the Stones JUST TODAY saw thei Expo in SYD was AMAZING !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fashionista said:

Released and traded on CD as the "Satanic Sessions boxset", around 12 CDs worth of material.

Give me all of the UYI era rehearsals and demos like this and just take my damn money!

• Like 1

On 2-1-2019 at 6:21 PM, fernandoGNR said:

I remember a Dizzy interview talking about Toothpuller:

On Izzy: [...]I saw the guy a couple years back in the studio… and he was showing me a song he had just written called "Toothpuller" – it was literally about him visiting the dentist and getting a tooth pulled out. [Dizzy then sings some of the lyrics] I mean… this is a guy who wrote some badass songs and now he’s writing about getting his tooth pulled… I mean come on… can you imagine Axl singing that live?’

http://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=30945

Izzy has never been a great lyricist. In the 80s he was writing love songs as sappy as can be and in the 90s he was writing songs about trains and how hot the weather is. Very interesting indeed.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, DTV88 said:

Give me all of the UYI era rehearsals and demos like this and just take my damn money!

Give me UYI era live material. I don't think we'll dig up any particularly rare tracks. Maybe some "Plague" esque material. I want Perfect Crime, Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession, in official soundboard quality. None of this Tokyo '92 bullshit

What the what?

Apparently those belong to... Duff? It seems logical, as the guy also has VR stuff and most of the stuff on this picture features Duff. 

"Band member checked from time to time" On the VR lights ebay auction OP says he might call the members (Duff) to say Hi to whoever buys it. Guess those tapes belongs to him.

With all the lunatics like Alfred around, it gives me the chills that those were handed off to someone who says they are management, as the owner apparently checked the tapes from time to time. If the owner checked it, why did "GNR management" had to be told the tapes were there to just then pick it up?

Edited by default_
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

Give me UYI era live material. I don't think we'll dig up any particularly rare tracks. Maybe some "Plague" esque material. I want Perfect Crime, Dust N' Bones, Bad Obsession, in official soundboard quality. None of this Tokyo '92 bullshit

I’ll take all of that as well! C’mon guys, it’s easy money and you’re riding high in the press these days. Cash in some more!

18 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I didn’t feel it was pathetic or disgusting. He simply stated that Izzy wrote a silly song. I thought it was cool that Izzy write for the band in 1995. 

80s...

guy plays keyboard

guy can't write a good song to save his life

guy can't join a decent band

guy can't barely make a living as a musician

guy cant pay the bills

early 90s...

lucky strike: guy gets invited to the biggest band in the world

guy tours the world with for two years with the band, living a dream life that includes "nine fucking girlfriends" that 99,9% of the male musicians in the planet would give their left nut just to experience 

guy still can't write a good song to save his life

late 90s...

band implodes

guy still makes a living as an employee of the band

00s...

singer releases alternative version of the band who includes said keyboarder and other alien musicians

lucky streak: guy lives dream life and travels the world all over again playing everywhere thanks to the fabulous songs written by the five members of the band

guys badtalks one of the main songwriters of the band, one of the guys who helped write all those songs that are the very reason that allows said guy to live a dream life

===

yeah...

you know what?

looking a bit closer on that quote, it is clear to me now that you are correct and i was mistaken

that Dizzy quote was PURE CLASS

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I don't think we'll dig up any particularly rare tracks

you are so wrong

ask ANYONE who has ever been in a band that WRITES material and they will tell you...

- how much unfinished ideas are forgotten and abandoned during the writing sessions

- how much a song changes from it's earliest form (initial idea) until its finished version

@Fashionista mentioned the "Satanic Sessions boxset" around 12 CDs worth of material

there are more examples like this for COUNTLESS BANDS

one of the greatest is ANOTHER stones bootleg from the Voodoo-Lounge Era that is also 8 or 9 CDs called Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew and Voodoo Residue

includes hours and hours of studio sessions since the very early stages of the songs, alternate versions, etc etc etc

You can read a bit about it here: https://www.rollingstonesnet.com/vigo.html

...where it is described as "the most revealing look at the Rolling Stones at work in the studio that has ever surfaced"

For you to have an idea, this is the type of song that was written, recorded and NEVER RELEASED that was "found" on these sessions

there is absolutely nothing "Plague-esque" about a song like this

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

Izzy has never been a great lyricist. In the 80s he was writing love songs as sappy as can be and in the 90s he was writing songs about trains and how hot the weather is. Very interesting indeed.

dizzy on the other hand is famous worldwide for his deep songwriting, specially the words

have you ever checked the website thetruthaboutdizzyreed.com ?

they say that axl used dizzy as a ghostwriter during the illusion sessions and that dizzy had to give away all his credits to axl to be able to join the band

:rofl-lol:

13 hours ago, sparka said:

Man, would love to hear some of that Billy Idol/Steve Stevens era Neurotic Outsiders stuff! 

i would love it too but i have a feeling it is a subpar version of NO since there is no Steve Jones and that entire album was basically a Steve Jones album 

Edited by ludurigan
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, bUCKETHEAD lAND said:

The Duff, Billy Idol + Steve Stevens demos are Neurotic Outsiders demos from the early 1995 lineup. The reel is marked #3 so there should be two more reels.

The Duff, Izzy + Taz are most likely Izzy solo demos from 1999 featuring Duff. Taz is Izzy's studio drummer.

This is what I able to make out of it.

there is absolutely NO REASON for izzy solo stuff from 1999 to be in the hands of anyone other than izzy

by this time izzy was absolutely disconnected from geffen or any other record company and doing everything on his own

so if anyone has "izzy tapes" this person is izzy

on the other hand, as i mentioned previously, someone (can't remember who) mentioned in some interview (can't remember which) that izzy and duff wrote songs for "guns n roses" (or, if you like, for axl) in different occasions during the 90s.

26 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

dizzy on the other hand is famous worldwide for his deep songwriting, specially the words

Don't get me wrong, I love Izzy as a songwriter, his strength as a songwriter is in the music and the melody in my opinion, I just find most of his lyrics crap.

39 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

there is absolutely NO REASON for izzy solo stuff from 1999 to be in the hands of anyone other than izzy

by this time izzy was absolutely disconnected from geffen or any other record company and doing everything on his own

on the other hand, as i mentioned previously, someone (can't remember who) mentioned in some interview (can't remember which) that izzy and duff wrote songs for "guns n roses" (or, if you like, for axl) in different occasions during the 90s.

Duff was part of Izzys band by the time and it seems this stuff is Duff related.

57 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

you are so wrong

ask ANYONE who has ever been in a band that WRITES material and they will tell you...

- how much unfinished ideas are forgotten and abandoned during the writing sessions

- how much a song changes from it's earliest form (initial idea) until its finished version

@Fashionista mentioned the "Satanic Sessions boxset" around 12 CDs worth of material

one of the greatest is ANOTHER stones bootleg from the Voodoo-Lounge Era that is also 8 or 9 CDs called Voodoo Brew, Voodoo Stew and Voodoo Residue

includes hours and hours of studio sessions since the very early stages of the songs, alternate versions, etc etc etc

You can read a bit about it here, where it is described as "the most revealing look at the Rolling Stones at work in the studio that has ever surfaced"

For you to have an idea, this is the type of song that was written, recorded and NEVER RELEASED that was "found" on these sessions

there is absolutely nothing "Plague-esque" about a song like this

have you ever checked the website thetruthaboutdizzyreed.com ?

they say that axl used dizzy as a ghostwriter during the illusion sessions and that dizzy had to give away all his credits to axl to be able to join the band

:rofl-lol:

i would love it too but i have a feeling it is a subpar version of NO since there is no Steve Jones and that entire album was basically a Steve Jones album 

To suggest there may be quite a few tracks from the UYI sessions that have never been released is just speculation. Just because the Rolling Stones were extremely prolific during their sessions for particular albums, has no bearing in Guns N' Roses whatsoever 

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

you are so wrong

I'm sure people here would be ecstatic to get the chance to buy a UYI boxset that has 10 alternate takes of My World.

On 1/3/2019 at 6:12 AM, cineater said:

Probably got him into a little of trouble with Alice Cooper too.  :lol:  Not worthy Diz.

Reminds me, Dizzy said when bootlegs began to appear on the net, he would check them out.  Gave him the opportunity to hear how he played at certain shows.  Wouldn't surprise me if this is still the main way band members check out their performances today.  They are watching the same youtubes we are.

What, the YouTubes your good friend at GNRTruth works tireless to get removed from YouTube?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ludurigan said:

80s...

guy plays keyboard

guy can't write a good song to save his life

guy can't join a decent band

guy can't barely make a living as a musician

guy cant pay the bills

early 90s...

lucky strike: guy gets invited to the biggest band in the world

guy tours the world with for two years with the band, living a dream life that includes "nine fucking girlfriends" that 99,9% of the male musicians in the planet would give their left nut just to experience 

late 90s...

band implodes

guy still makes a living as an employee of the band

00s...

singer releases alternative version of the band who includes said keyboarder and other alien musicians

lucky streak: guy lives dream life and travels the world all over again playing everywhere thanks to the fabulous songs written by the five members of the band

guys badtalks one of the main songwriters of the band, one of the guys who helped write all those songs that are the very reason that allows said guy to live a dream life

===

yeah...

you know what?

looking a bit closer on that quote, it is clear to me now that you are correct and i was mistaken

that Dizzy quote was PURE CLASS

Dizzy was actually gonna be asked to join GN'R in 1986, but he got into an accident and broke his hands just before. He's thanked in the AFD liner notes if I recall correctly.

3 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

To suggest there may be quite a few tracks from the UYI sessions that have never been released is just speculation. Just because the Rolling Stones were extremely prolific during their sessions for particular albums, has no bearing in Guns N' Roses whatsoever 

I think there are only two confirmed songs that didn't make the UYI cut - Ain't Goin' Down and "Nightcrawler." The riff for Speed Parade also originated with these sessions, and the riff for Always on The Run came from the UYI era sessions but was deemed "too funky" for Guns. Ain't Goin' Down, per Gilby, was being worked on for eventual release as late as 1994 - he said it was the last song recorded by the iteration of the band which included him. You have Back and Forth Again as well as Beggar's & Hangers On being written on the road on the UYI tour - you can even hear an early GN'R version of Back and Forth Again on the Making of Estranged video.

But GN'R were nowhere near as prolific in the studio in terms of tossed aside ideas as the Stones have always been, not even in the AFD days.

1 hour ago, Pele said:

What, the YouTubes your good friend at GNRTruth works tireless to get removed from YouTube?

gigger?

Probably never mention gigger.  It was all so long ago and so Mercky.  I came home on my lunch hour and had received several increasingly desperate e-mails from the guy.  He was sending me e-mails calling me rude for ignoring his e-mails and then threatening me with "we know who you talk to".  Obviously wrong on all points or I wouldn't have been getting those e-mails. :lol:  I just don't pay that close of attention to the board dramas.  I go to a lot of boards and try to get along with everybody.  I have no information on your youtube issues and won't get involved.  I'm just not interested.

13 minutes ago, cineater said:

gigger?

Probably never mention gigger.  It was all so long ago and so Mercky.  I came home on my lunch hour and had received several increasingly desperate e-mails from the guy.  He was sending me e-mails calling me rude for ignoring his e-mails and then threatening me with "we know who you talk to".  Obviously wrong on all points or I wouldn't have been getting those e-mails. :lol:  I just don't pay that close of attention to the board dramas.  I go to a lot of boards and try to get along with everybody.  I have no information on your youtube issues and won't get involved.  I'm just not interested.

No not Gigger.  

Edited by Pele
PM

3 hours ago, PopcornAdler said:

elaborate please

A member of the GN'R road crew stole tapes from back to back shows in April(?) Of 1992. The Oklahoma '92 show and the following Chicago show. Both are great shows, 2 of my favorites from the GN'R catalogue. Unfortunately both shows have a few audio hickups-they aren't nearly as clear sounding as the Saskatoon show; but they're still pretty killer. 

I think the point he was making was the moral repercussions are over shadowed by the opportunity to hear potentially unheard GN'R/GN'R related stuff

Edited by UsedYourIllusion

7 hours ago, ludurigan said:

I understand that, but what else could it be? The songs they wrote for GN'R was during the breif reunion that happened in '95, maybe I've read the year wrong on the box but it looks like '99 to me.