Lots of old Recordings

17 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Right. I just meant "whomever owns the tapes" when I said Universal. 

I think a lot of people are missing this point:

NOTHING IS LOST!

What happened was some collectors bought some things, happened to see the tapes, then Slapshot let GN'Rs crew know about them and someone from management came to get them. This is a GOOD thing, nothing bad has happened here! :) 

Yep. If anything this means they possibly now have better sourced material if there’s anything on there worth releasing in the future. Sometimes things get lost and  bands/labels have to decide if it’s worth using a 3rd or 4th generation copy is usable on top of the material

Management may now possess the physical tapes for the time being, but UMG likely owns the exclusive rights to release anything from those sessions in the future.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, zombux said:

in any other "normal band", you would be absolutely right.

but given how GNR work, this stuff will probably rot in some closet together with all the mid- and late 90's tapes, Perfect Crime movie, UYI proshots and pretty much anything else, for, like, forever.

maybe some lucky ones among us will see the stuff at 100th AFD release anniversary edition, but that's as close as I can see any "release" of this stuff.

the stuff is in fact not "safely stored", but "safely shelved".

so fingers crossed. 2087 is the year.

That’s how GNR operated when it’s 3 member partnership would try and sabotage each other’s projects. I think it’s not surprising to think they couldn’t get a reissue/remaster campaign looking back now. That has now changed. We will see what happens.

The live releases/documentaries could be tied up with current label strategy/logistics. They may want to save the option of releasing that stuff themselves. It might be better to get a new deal/or fulfill the current one before heading down that road in 2019. They can’t currently just put that stuff up on a server and stream without UMG dipping their hands into the revenue. What’s the benefit in that? Plus something of that nature needs to be timed when they aren’t out on tour. 

The demos/rehearsal stuff most likely falls under UMG domain now and into the future. There’s less options on what to do with that material besides having a UMG release 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.

How is it gone forever? He turned the tapes over to the people that own them (again, most likely Universal). So if anything, this would mean that the record company has even more recordings to work with in the future.

Hope you’re right. My “forever” comment is based on the worst case scenario of no future “new” music releases, particularly from this era. 

If we do get new music, and I hope we do, I imagine demos from the mid-90s won’t be at the top of the list (versus completed CD era recordings or new new music from the big 3). 

Hope something / anything comes of this 

Edited by nycgunner

2 hours ago, zombux said:

but given how GNR work, this stuff will probably rot in some closet together with all the mid- and late 90's tapes, Perfect Crime movie, UYI proshots and pretty much anything else, for, like, forever.

maybe some lucky ones among us will see the stuff at 100th AFD release anniversary edition, but that's as close as I can see any "release" of this stuff.

QFT

/thread.

3 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Wait.

How is it gone forever? He turned the tapes over to the people that own them (again, most likely Universal). So if anything, this would mean that the record company has even more recordings to work with in the future.

Yeah! They will start to work on it when we're dead...

Complaints Complaints Complaints ?? :awesomeface:

Edited by Propaganda

Just amazes me how holy grail material had just been left at a storage place and undiscovered for 20 years, how terrible is that management wise, 20 years!! In a place with no safeguarding or anything, I don't mean any hate to the person who was keeping them safe, but something that valuable, just left discarded, I'm still in shock. also I bet we will never get to see what was on those tapes, if we do axl will have rerecorded the vocals 100 times and slash will have rerecorded  all his parts. Thanks so much to The guy who shared this and for keeping then safe for 20 years. I wonder if there are any other demos just left in places around the US like this?

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, fernandoGNR said:

I remember a Dizzy interview talking about Toothpuller:

On Izzy: [...]I saw the guy a couple years back in the studio… and he was showing me a song he had just written called "Toothpuller" – it was literally about him visiting the dentist and getting a tooth pulled out. [Dizzy then sings some of the lyrics] I mean… this is a guy who wrote some badass songs and now he’s writing about getting his tooth pulled… I mean come on… can you imagine Axl singing that live?’

http://metalsludge.tv/classic/?p=30945

this is the quote that showed me everything i need to know about dizzy reed

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Slapshot61 said:

you need a 2" machine for most of them and someone who knows how to work it. Theres just so much stuff, everybody records everything. I'm very sure there are more stacks like this one in someones house and other storage facilities. It kinda took a couple of fans to get anything goning on with these tapes.

"everybody records everything"

i truly hope that this is true for guns n roses 1985-1991 and i truly hope everything surfaces soon

5 hours ago, guitarpatch said:

They just released an Appetite reissue containing many recordings that are comparable. Say what you want on the packaging, execution and price points, but it happened. That’s a positive outcome when it comes to “in the vault” releases. 

Slash and Duff having a working relationship with Axl has opened up, even slightly, the possibilities of this stuff seeing the light of day. Compared to 10 years ago where they wouldn’t sign off on this stuff 

no these recordings are not comparable at all

this is UNCIRCULATED STUFF that no one listened to

Axl released stuff that was in circulation since the fucking 80s

everyone that cares about this type of recordings already had all of that and already knew them by heart

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Slapshot61 said:

Correct, one specific band member owns these particular tapes not any record company. Management as in someones personal manager most likely.

axl

4 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Right. I just meant "whomever owns the tapes" when I said Universal. 

I think a lot of people are missing this point:

NOTHING IS LOST!

What happened was some collectors bought some things, happened to see the tapes, then Slapshot let GN'Rs crew know about them and someone from management came to get them. This is a GOOD thing, nothing bad has happened here! :) 

if you consider that everything that falls into axl hands will never see the light of the day...

4 hours ago, zombux said:

e-fucking-xactly

8 hours ago, Slapshot61 said:

sorry guys. i was just trying to show off some cool stuff that many fans never get a chance to see. It didnt work out.

sorry you had a problem

this is absolutely priceless stuff

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

WEST ARKEEN C.T.

WEST ARKEEN MASTER

what is that? West Arkeen "Complete Tapes"?

what is in there? is is the "old songs" we know (Crash Diet, Sentimental Movie etc) or new ones?

if it is the old ones, are these early versions without axl's vocals?

if these are new ones, wow, how good they can be?

are there alternate takes for the songs we know?

wow, just wow, i would love to hear those

DUFF + IZZY #1

are these the famous songs/tapes Izzy and Duff wrote and send to Axl? I bet they are!

I am pretty sure that this must sound A LOT like GNR. I am pretty sure Izzy would never send one of his more laid back stuff to Axl. That kind of music he does for himself. i am pretty sure this is harder and it must rock so fucking much

I am just fucking salivating

DUFF, IZZY, TAZ (bentley, drummer) JAN 4 99

SAME HERE

DUFF MATT SORUM BILLY IDOL STEVEN STEVENS DEMOS 1995 #3

that must be nice to listen to... maybe some of these songs were reworked for Neurotic Outsiders...

its number #3 so they probably have #1 and #2 which likely means 10-plus songs -- or an album's worth of material...

GNR DEMOS REEL #3 1995

maybe zakk wylde sessions?

maybe dave navarro sessions?

WOW!

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

It's nice to visually see the vault. Fact that it wasn't even in the possession of any GnR members, shows that it will probably never ever see the day of light as they were obviously not significant enough. Let's hope they might sit down and go through them and have fun with them in some ways after rediscovering them!

Edited by Rapidfire

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I'm still unclear why anyone is upset with the OP.

No. I don't see anyone upset, just heartbroken to see the tapes we have talked about for years! Literally sitting there in a picture just to see them sent back to GN'R and possibly nothing done with them.

48 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

what does this mean?

to lock the thread?

Just my way of saying "end of thread" because what Zombux said was the absolute truth and nothing else can be added, the tapes are gone forever.

Edited by 31illusions

5 hours ago, zombux said:

and the management in 2087 sure will be Beta's great-grandson's....

1 hour ago, ludurigan said:

no these recordings are not comparable at all

this is UNCIRCULATED STUFF that no one listened to

Axl released stuff that was in circulation since the fucking 80s

everyone that cares about this type of recordings already had all of that and already knew them by heart

I don’t see why just because those demos were bootlegged beforehand it had anything to do with what was on the AFD reissue. That’s what was available.

Just because the stuff that got around (because the band prob shared it with everyone while getting started) also correlates with whatever they could find on tape at UMG, it doesn’t mean there was some conscious decision to withhold material. Plus there were some things we hadn’t heard before. 

Does that mean we won’t hear any of that stuff in the pic? Can’t see why you’d say that. It’s certainly more of a possibility now than if they couldn’t find those tapes (which does happen)

Does that mean we’d see any of it or any of it soon? Most likely not. That’s the kind of stuff that gets released when a band is no longer active as it’s not really a part of an album that can be included in a reissue. Who knows when or what they’d do with it. It’s just now a known possibility where beforehand it was just old interviews to the fanbase.

Since they now have the tapes, the possibility we see it someday is surely greater than it was yesterday. The tapes are now known to be located 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ludurigan said:

sorry you had a problem

this is absolutely priceless stuff

:headbang::headbang::headbang:

WEST ARKEEN C.T.

WEST ARKEEN MASTER

what is that? West Arkeen "Complete Tapes"?

what is in there? is is the "old songs" we know (Crash Diet, Sentimental Movie etc) or new ones?

if it is the old ones, are these early versions without axl's vocals?

if these are new ones, wow, how good they can be?

are there alternate takes for the songs we know?

wow, just wow, i would love to hear those

DUFF + IZZY #1

are these the famous songs/tapes Izzy and Duff wrote and send to Axl? I bet they are!

I am pretty sure that this must sound A LOT like GNR. I am pretty sure Izzy would never send one of his more laid back stuff to Axl. That kind of music he does for himself. i am pretty sure this is harder and it must rock so fucking much

DUFF, IZZY, TAZ (bentley, drummer) JAN 4 99

SAME HERE

DUFF MATT SORUM BILLY IDOL STEVEN STEVENS DEMOS 1995 #3

that must be nice to listen to... maybe some of these songs were reworked for Neurotic Outsiders...

its number #3 so they probably have #1 and #2 which likely means 10-plus songs -- or an album's worth of material...

GNR DEMOS REEL #3 1995

maybe zakk wylde sessions?

maybe dave navarro sessions?

WOW!

The Duff and Izzy stuff could be for one of Izzy's solo albums - Duff played bass on most of Izzy's stuff.

The '99 demos with Taz Bentley are CERTAINLY for an Izzy solo album. Taz was/is Izzy's drummer.