Lots of old Recordings

15 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Yeah, it's like wtf? I, too, would appreciate some info, guys.

basically there was a heap of unreleased stuff from the 90's, and now the management or label got their hands on it, in order to get it shelved or crushed.

nothing that could even remotely surprise you :) 

24 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

Axl: “Okay, it’s 2019, let’s get in the studio and get this new album done.”

Fernando: “Hold up, I’ve just been handed some old demos that we could sell instead.”

Axl: “Cool. Let’s go home.”

Axl: “Okay, it’s 2019, let’s get in the studio and get this new album done.”

Fernando: “Hold up, I’ve just been handed some old demos that we could sell instead.”

Axl: “Yeah? But are they ready to release? Or do I have to, you know, sing over them, write lyrics and all that stuff?”

Fernando: "It's just instrumentals"

Axl: "Oh shit. Do you think we can release another greatest hits CD instead?"

19 minutes ago, zombux said:

based on recent events, it could quite likely also be some "Alfred" or similar loonie, pretending he's totally the official person.

I doubt the guy just gave the tapes to whoever. He would be facing a lawsuit from GN'R or the record company. He wasn't in a position to do whatever he wanted with those tapes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ludurigan said:

check page 2

but dont tell anyone about it

1 hour ago, zombux said:

basically there was a heap of unreleased stuff from the 90's, and now the management or label got their hands on it, in order to get it shelved or crushed.

nothing that could even remotely surprise you :) 

Holy shit. Gone forever now. 

11 minutes ago, Padme said:

I doubt the guy just gave the tapes to whoever. He would be facing a lawsuit from GN'R or the record company. He wasn't in a position to do whatever he wanted with those tapes.

This. I don't know why anyone thinks someone could just show up and take them lol. 

Having said that, it could be Duff or Slash who owns the tapes just as well as it could be Axl. 

42 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

This. I don't know why anyone thinks someone could just show up and take them lol. 

Having said that, it could be Duff or Slash who owns the tapes just as well as it could be Axl. 

Slash has mentioned in interviews that there was some very cool stuff on the post Illusion sessions and he wishes he kept the tapes having now forgotten what they were working on (riffs and such) 

so yea it could very well be Slash that was given word on the tapes and requested access to them through management. 

• Like 1

“HE ALSO enthuses about the new material Guns N' Roses have been writing. Apperently, the band members are currently trading tapes amongst themselves. "It's amazing stuff," he says. "The songs are really good, and I have a good vibe about it. I wouldn't want to go out and do a bad Guns N' Roses record." -Kerrang 1996

first mention from Slash about tapes being passed around in 95-96

but we do know Axl didn’t misplace his tapes. He’s kept them close 

"I have the rehearsal tapes. There's nothing but Slash-based blues rock and he stopped it to both go solo and try to completely take over Guns. I read all this if Axl would've put words and melodies on it could've… I was specifically told no lyrics, no melodies, no changes to anything and to sing what I was told or fuck off."

I’m as interested in these tapes as any gnr fan, but facts are they weren’t released. This is someone else’s property. Might be Slash’s lost collection. Could have been someone from the record company. 

Edited by IncitingChaos

I simply find it funny that there was a mother-load of unreleased GNR-related material from the 90's, just sitting in a storage unit forgotten about over the years.  :lol:

Can't even be mad because it only went from sitting in storage never being listened to, to sitting in Axl's vault never being listened to.

Would love to check out that Screaming Trees demo reel, maybe there's more awesome grunge tapes sitting in the pile.

1 minute ago, Gackt said:

I simply find it funny that there was a mother-load of unreleased GNR-related material from the 90's, just sitting in a storage unit forgotten about over the years.  :lol:

Can't even be mad because it only went from sitting in storage never being listened to, to sitting in Axl's vault never being listened to.

Would love to check out that Screaming Trees demo reel, maybe there's more awesome grunge tapes sitting in the pile.

Axl has had access to the tapes since they were made. I’m sure these aren’t his. Someone with the band might be making sure they aren’t “in the wrong hands” and get leaked, but it is funny they were sitting in a storage unit for so long 

• Like 1

Just now, Gackt said:

If guns were one of the most important artists at geffen, i would have though all the material would have been collected by the record company considering they own the recording (intellectual property). Or maybe axl wanted to shift through them for CD type ideas.

5 minutes ago, Creed said:

i seriously doubt that there is hit material on these tapes. even Michael Jacksons last album failed. Mostly because of the poor mixing, but come on...we all know that slash used the best stuff for snakepit and VR. the only recording with Axl was probably TIL. the rest are instrumentals. Jackie chan and Tooth puller are probably the other two Songs with vocals. Last one only with izzy in mic.

Axl claims fall to pieces came from the gnr sessions in 96 

Last "Best Case Scenario" this thing:

Maybe there ARE some great ideas on those tapes. It might give the current lineup even more great ideas to work with. So some of us would be fine withe CD era material being used for a bew album, then others would be happy for 90s era Slash / Duff material being used.

7 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

If guns were one of the most important artists at geffen, i would have though all the material would have been collected by the record company considering they own the recording (intellectual property). Or maybe axl wanted to shift through them for CD type ideas.

It would probably be surprising knowing the things that fall through the cracks through the years. And I'm not referring to just Guns.

9 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I didn’t feel it was pathetic or disgusting. He simply stated that Izzy wrote a silly song. I thought it was cool that Izzy write for the band in 1995. 

I wouldn't call it pathetic. And Dizzy has the right to express his opinion. However Dizzy is not known for writing any memorable songs. Axl, Slash and Duff have written songs that people find silly. I understand that someone may believe Dizzy is not in a position to cast the first stone.

Question is, I wonder if that 95 rehearsal tape had vox or not.

10 hours ago, The Holographic Universe said:

I didn’t feel it was pathetic or disgusting. He simply stated that Izzy wrote a silly song. I thought it was cool that Izzy write for the band in 1995. 

Did you know the entire lot of the Stones' rehearsals for Satanic Majesties' Request as well as some other of the earlier records was gonna be tossed in the trash in the early 90s but a fan who worked at the company managed to save it? Imagine - a band that big - huge chunks of rehearsal and behind the scenes stuff was just treated like disposable old junk the band had long since forgotten. You had over 90 hours of rehearsals for just one album - up to a dozen takes of each song or so, with band chatter and the songs coming together and being arranged - which would've been lost to history if not for the fan(s).

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Did you know the entire lot of the Stones' rehearsals for Satanic Majesties' Request as well as some other of the earlier records was gonna be tossed in the trash in the early 90s but a fan who worked at the company managed to save it? Imagine - a band that big - huge chunks of rehearsal and behind the scenes stuff was just treated like disposable old junk the band had long since forgotten. You had over 90 hours of rehearsals for just one album - up to a dozen takes of each song or so, with band chatter and the songs coming together and being arranged - which would've been lost to history if not for the fan(s).

What happened to that material after it was saved?