Lots of old Recordings

7 minutes ago, bUCKETHEAD lAND said:

I understand that, but what else could it be? The songs they wrote for GN'R was during the breif reunion that happened in '95, maybe I've read the year wrong on the box but it looks like '99 to me.

my guess is they wrote songs for axl (or "gnr") in 95, 99, and who knows how many times more...

Just now, ludurigan said:

my guess is they wrote songs for axl (or "gnr") in 95, 99, and who knows how many times more...

By '99, Axl was the only original member left, I don't think they wrote songs for him when they had just left the band. And if that is the case, why is Taz Bentley's name written on the box?

4 hours ago, Fashionista said:

Dizzy was actually gonna be asked to join GN'R in 1986, but he got into an accident and broke his hands just before. He's thanked in the AFD liner notes if I recall correctly.

if axl was the only one that wanted a keyboarder in 1990, you can bet good money that axl was the only one who wanted a keyboarder in 1986

2 minutes ago, bUCKETHEAD lAND said:

By '99, Axl was the only original member left, I don't think they wrote songs for him when they had just left the band. And if that is the case, why is Taz Bentley's name written on the box?

because taz was the drummer they used, that's all

yes, axl was the only member left in 1999, maybe one of them (my guess is izzy) "reconnected" with axl at the time and sent him the tapes

6 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I'm sure people here would be ecstatic to get the chance to buy a UYI boxset that has 10 alternate takes of My World.

so fun!

can I become your friend so I can join you making jokes about people who would like to listen to GN'R rehearsals and listen to the early versions and alternate takes of their best songs?

please!

7 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

To suggest there may be quite a few tracks from the UYI sessions that have never been released is just speculation. Just because the Rolling Stones were extremely prolific during their sessions for particular albums, has no bearing in Guns N' Roses whatsoever 

it has nothing to do with the rolling stones

every band that writes music has leftovers, rejected ideas, unfinished stuff, jams that go nowhere, riffs that are left behind

i will say it again: just ask ANYONE who has been in a band that writes music

the chances of GNR to have A LOT of unfinished ideas abandoned along the way are HUGE, specially because GNR has four songwriters

7 hours ago, default_ said:

Duff was part of Izzys band by the time and it seems this stuff is Duff related.

that could be the case, yes

4 hours ago, Fashionista said:

But GN'R were nowhere near as prolific in the studio in terms of tossed aside ideas as the Stones have always been, not even in the AFD days.

nobody knows that because we have never had access to a full writing sessions recording of GNR

show me an uncut recording of a "GNR writing session" in studio and we can all learn how prolific they are

Edited by ludurigan

I bet it's unfinished buisness and it's time to finalize something that started long ago. It's time for the band to get through all that stuff and bring it to an end.

Well, no... I bet it's not that but I sure hope it is!

Edited by Free Bird

6 hours ago, Jw224 said:

Can't believe I just read through 4 pages of people going "and now it's gone FOREVER" as if it was going to be going anywhere else in the first place :facepalm:

All of these tapes could be sitting on axls kitchen table but doesn't mean he's going to be doing anything with them or feel that he should (much to my disappointment). I know the illusion sessions wernt remembered by the band for all the right reasons, but just hope that doesn't jeopardize them not giving us some sort of recordings, as part of the 30th anniversary.

Edited by Sydney Fan

16 hours ago, Fashionista said:

I think there are only two confirmed songs that didn't make the UYI cut - Ain't Goin' Down and "Nightcrawler." The riff for Speed Parade also originated with these sessions...

I think Marc Canter actually confirmed that Nightcrawler was reworked into Speed Parade

12 hours ago, ludurigan said:

so fun!

can I become your friend so I can join you making jokes about people who would like to listen to GN'R rehearsals and listen to the early versions and alternate takes of their best songs?

please!

:lol:

My point is that just because something exists, doesn't mean it's worth releasing. Although interesting, that is the kind of thing that finds it's way out and is dumped onto bootleg collections for anyone so inclined. Although it can (rarely) happen, it's just not viable for record companies to release expensive multi disc boxsets that only a few hardcores will buy, let alone even listen to regularly, that include every alternate and throwaway note recorded.

And yes, I do understand the irony in that statement staight after a $1000 boxset that mostly includes alternate takes of You're Crazy. :lol:

Duff was also recently in a band with a member of Screaming Trees, who were in the studio in 1999 recording demos before breaking up for good. He could have been involved in the demos or just storing tapes for his friend. Either way, almost all of the evidence points to these being Duff's tapes. I'm not an expert on reels, but if Duff was jamming with Izzy, it's more-than-plausible that Duff had his own copies or, if copies of reels are hard to make (again, not my area of expertise), that he would have his own alternate takes.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

Duff was also recently in a band with a member of Screaming Trees, who were in the studio in 1999 recording demos before breaking up for good. He could have been involved in the demos or just storing tapes for his friend. Either way, almost all of the evidence points to these being Duff's tapes. I'm not an expert on reels, but if Duff was jamming with Izzy, it's more-than-plausible that Duff had his own copies or, if copies of reels are hard to make (again, not my area of expertise), that he would have his own alternate takes.

This is my theory as well.

5 minutes ago, Lio said:

This is my theory as well.

Though, to shake things up... "Shrieking Violet" was L.A. Guns' album from 1999 and Gilby Clarke was the producer and Teddy Andreadis played keyboards on it. Not sure how that would connect to Duff. Perhaps they were just sharing storage space. Anyway, none of the evidence is pointing toward Axl or Slash. 

Now, just trying to figure out the Ya-Ya's.

4 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

:lol:

My point is that just because something exists, doesn't mean it's worth releasing. Although interesting, that is the kind of thing that finds it's way out and is dumped onto bootleg collections for anyone so inclined. Although it can (rarely) happen, it's just not viable for record companies to release expensive multi disc boxsets that only a few hardcores will buy, let alone even listen to regularly, that include every alternate and throwaway note recorded.

And yes, I do understand the irony in that statement staight after a $1000 boxset that mostly includes alternate takes of You're Crazy. :lol:

i agree with you that for 99% of the bands this is something not to be commercially released, but I am sure you can at least "get even" if you do it right in case of bands like GNR

bands like GNR have such a large fanbase that you end up with a good "critical mass" of hardcore die hards

what you do in a case like this?

you can do a lot of things

example...

you can hire someone articulate who cares (usually a fan) and gives him/her free reign to listen, pick and compile a collection of the best takes of these tapes

i know a lot of people would do this for free but there is no reason not to pay a fair fee for whoever does it

just give said fan the telephone of whoever was involved on the writing/recording and he/she will be able to talk with said people, get the story behind the tapes, ask for some photos related to the time it was done, and then write something about the whole thing

you then do an ultra-limited (say 10.000 copies?) edition with a great booklet "telling the story" of the tapes with cool photos, possibly lyrics etc

you release it for a reasonable price (example? If it is 1 CD charge US$ 18 / 2 CDs charge US$ 33 / 3 CDs charge US$ 45, 4 CDs charge US$ 54 / 5 CDs charge US$ 59, etc)

bingo, the die hards will buy it in no time

another example

you can release the full thing digitally in the highest quality possible with little to no artwork in some kind of "archive" series

there are so much ways to do that and none of them has to be expensive for any of the parts involved

3 minutes ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

Though, to shake things up... "Shrieking Violet" was L.A. Guns' album from 1999 and Gilby Clarke was the producer and Teddy Andreadis played keyboards on it. Not sure how that would connect to Duff. Perhaps they were just sharing storage space. Anyway, none of the evidence is pointing toward Axl or Slash. 

Now, just trying to figure out the Ya-Ya's.

Oh now don't do that :lol: My whole theory blown to bits. But thanks for the extra information.

As always, no clear solution at all.

Since the guy also has the VR lights and some Screaming Trees recordings, there's obviously a pattern and it's safe to assume that the specific "owner" was probably Duff or Slash. I would say Duff.

He probably store them there and forgot they ever existed... And now someone from management went there to pick it up.

Edited by Propaganda
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Nightrain said:

Hell, maybe someone passed the demos to Duff and he gave them to Gilby. Who knows? Obviously, a member of GN'R isn't on every reel. 

thats why it makes sense that these belong to axl

it looks like could be all different stuff sent to axl by duff, izzy etc and also the "gnr reels" that could be 90s sessions demos etc

1 hour ago, Propaganda said:

Since the guy also has the VR lights and some Screaming Trees recordings, there's obviously a pattern and it's safe to assume that the specific "owner" was probably Duff or Slash. I would say Duff.

He probably store them there and forgot they ever existed... And now someone from management went there to pick it up.

or maybe that pile was not from one "client"?

maybe it is just a random pile of tapes belonging to several "clients" and whoever went there just picked some of those tapes?

Slightly off-topic, but as another example of "artists being prolific during recording sessions", there are FOUR albums worth of outtakes from Aerosmith's "Permanent Vacation" album, and it's a treasure trove - tons of unreleased, completed songs, early versions of songs that eventually made the album w/different lyrics, a full 1986 rehearsal, etc. It's pretty incredible, really.