whats even more wild was we were all at these shows in 2002-2007 singing along to the NONE released new songs.  all my friends look at me like WTF how do you know these lyrics.... hahahaha..ummm Mygrnforum.com thank you very much

Edited by PopcornAdler
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Modano09 said:

I watched this show for the first time in like a decade last night.

Axl looks great. He sounds great. The band sounds great. And Axl looks totally happy and energetic, excited to be performing. WTF happened? So much energy and momentum and then, just, nothing...

TOTALLY agree. I was so excited for the future in 2006. Then it all went to shit :lol:

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

TOTALLY agree. I was so excited for the future in 2006. Then it all went to shit :lol:

It's not just the voice, it's the energy and body language. He's just killing it and knows he's killing it. I think CD is better received too, if it's followed up with performances like this instead of the way it was. 

• Like 2

Dare I say it,but I will anyway, that was the most exciting GNR period for me with the expectation and hope that the album would drop any Tuesday before the end of the year. The album felt like the holy grail:) I believe that the air of mystery gave the record some power. But I wasn’t disappointed with the finished product . You could tell from the demos and live performances that Axl kept beefing up the recordings with more ‘stuff’. GNR were never synonymous with minimalism. I saw 3 shows in 06, Milan, Dublin and the 1st Wembley night. I have the 2006 poster from the late2006  US leg signed by Dizzy, Robin & Axl. I got it framed and it adorns my sitting room wall. Listening to GNR in the 80s opened my up to decades of great 20th century music. My favourite live piece was The Blues and TWAT was my favourite leak. Better grew on me over the years. Cather never really nailed the guitar solo. But IRS blossomed from the perfectionist approach. 

Axl looked like an Irish chieftain as noted by some journalist in 2006

Robin was the Rasputin of rock in 2006 and his guitar playing was Neil Young on steroids. Ringing melody out  of every note. GNR’s loss is NIN’s gain. Saw him pay NOS Alive 2018. Truly phenomenal 

loved the variety of Dizzy’s solos too! Does anyone know the name of the solo that he played in Milan and again in Dublin?

That intro was their best as well. Real menacing:)

Edited by DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz
Correction
  • Like 1

Between the 2006/2007 tour and all the leaks going on, it was a fun time even as a lurker on the forums.  To me the three most fun periods on the forums were 2006, 2008/2009 after the album dropped and with the Axl chats/kickoff of the 2009 tour, and late 2015/2016 with the reunion

3 hours ago, Modano09 said:

Axl looks great. He sounds great. The band sounds great. And Axl looks totally happy and energetic, excited to be performing. WTF happened? So much energy and momentum and then, just, nothing...

Maybe Axl was just being overly cautious by not breaking his foot again like he did at the very first show at the Troubador during 'Brownstone'.Lots of $ on the line for the NITL tour maybe?

I saw GNR for the first time in 02 in Pukelpop and then London arena. This was followed by Milan in 06. There I met some interesting people. One person was from Albania and had followed Izzy’s career and said that the government had banned rock music so everything was underground. Another person was an Australian journalist (pretty, short blond chic) who was covering the work cup and claimed to have interviewed Mike Patton and then ‘had him’. While we waited hours for Axl to take the stage we all shared our earliest GNR memories. A great show followed:)

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

32 minutes ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Dare I say it,but I will anyway, that was the most exciting GNR period for me with the expectation and hope that the album would drop any Tuesday before the end of the year. The album felt like the holy grail:) I believe that the air of mystery gave the record some power. But I wasn’t disappointed with the finished product . You could tell from the demos and live performances that Axl kept beefing up the recordings with more ‘stuff’. GNR were never synonymous with minimalism. I saw 3 shows in 06, Milan, Dublin and the 1st Wembley night. I have the 2006 poster from the late2006  US leg signed by Dizzy, Robin & Axl. I got it framed and it adorns my sitting room wall. Listening to GNR in the 80s opened my up to decades of great 20th century music. My favourite live piece was The Blues and TWAT was my favourite leak. Better grew on me over the years. Cather never really nailed the guitar solo. But IRS blossomed from the perfectionist approach. 

I was excited back then too. The leaks were exciting and proved they actually were working on new music, those songs being in the setlist suggested they were close to an album release. Axl sounds great and has a revamped look, a lot of energy, the band looks more cohesive and not the random bunch of characters they were in 2001. I felt like they were energized on clicking and on the verge of something and then, just, nothing....CD just appears two years later.

4 hours ago, Modano09 said:

1 word - cocaine

• GNFNR 1

42 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

1 word - cocaine

I'm pretty sure you're being sarcastic but I could understand how that might be a viable assumption. However, Axl has stated that cocaine really damages his voice in the short term.  Iirc, he said that doing only one line would put his voice out of commission for a week.  I guess that Axl could have said this so people wouldn't suspect him of doing blow, but I don't think that's the case.