Jump to content

Recommended Posts

47 minutes ago, Propaganda said:

I doubt it that  Axl was using it during this era...

100% was. Check Nightrain @ Download 2006 for a classic case of ‘gear jaw’ at the end

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ifdworld said:

2006 was one of the happiest moments in my life thanks to that tour. what a band to see live. Even to this day and after seeing Axl and Slash together more than once on the NITLT, 2006 still sounds and looks better!

 

Now we all know better

I saw them twice in 2006 and both shows were great. I really wish I'd had the chance to see that lineup a couple more times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that combination of looks and voice was best at 2006 since UYI era, but best voice since UYI, i gotta give it to 2010 Axl... Looks fall short, but damn, his voice in 2010 was fucking great....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

My only nitpick about the 2006-2007 lineup was Ron's guitar tone. The man really came into his own during the 2009-2014 run.

I still think the LA shows from December of 2006 are some of the best Guns N' Roses gigs. I would absolutely prefer them to anything from the last 2 years.

 

Edited by F*ck Fear
  • Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

100% was. Check Nightrain @ Download 2006 for a classic case of ‘gear jaw’ at the end

Don’t see anything in that video. Axl was doing hard drugs at this time? It’s common knowledge that he is doing that today?  I always thought he was a bit of a health nut (excluding his diet) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, F*ck Fear said:

My only nitpick about the 2006-2007 lineup was Ron's guitar tone. The man really came into his own during the 2009-2014 run.

Definitely agree with this, he was very hit-or-miss in 2006/7, but from 2009 onward he was great. 2006/7 was like, "hey I'm this weird, wacky guitar virtuoso that's replacing the other weird, wacky guitar virtuoso, here's a bunch of shredding" and it seemed like he sometimes played weird shit just for the sake of it. From '09-14 he was more 'true to the material' and his tone was much better suited to the band. He definitely still had some 'off moments' in that era, like his 14 Years solo, but in general he was a great fit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

This is my opinion: They played like a band back then. The label still was trying to force a reunion and refusing to release Chinese Democracy. I would assume that this left a bad taste in Robins mouth as he wanted to be productive. With Finck being gone they needed a replacement when the label finally released it. The replacement was a worse player and a cheap showman gimmick known as DJ ASSBA. I really don't think Ron liked him nor anyone in the band the way it seemed.  Thus it became something that most of the members didn't want to be a part of. Then Tommy left and Duff came in per his suggestion. It seemed like the band performed better when he joined them. Ron knew that GNR wasn't his style and his work would have overshadowed Slash performance wise while on stage and had too much respect for Slash to do that to him. Axl probably axed Assba as he didn't need someone cheaply impersonating Slash while Slash was on stage due to his skills (not showmanship). Slash and Duff probably asked what was Pitman actually doing while touring. Axl probably didn't have any response as Pitman was doing little to nothing on stage. Slash and Duff probably recommended that they knew Melissa and she could do Pitman's parts and to the sound fill in with her synth that the third guitarist used to do.

Edited by Billly B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The camera direction for that concert is top notch, but something that has always bothered me about this concert is the lack of energy from the crowd. They all seem to be standing around, no movement, no jumping, no recognition to who they're seeing or any sort of presence of excitement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weird, I was watching this show yesterday, too. Are you watching me??? :ph34r:

Wonder how real the Download 2006 reunion rumours were. It's weird how Axl casually says "Oh yeah, Coachella was the first real offer we had" as if that were the only reason they reunited. As far as I can tell, the rumour in 2006 was that the reunion would be a Download Festival + Hammersmith only thing and then Axl would get full rights to the back catalogue: https://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/303/9/

I'm mostly inclined to believe it was bullshit, but who knows :shrugs:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Modano09 said:

I watched this show for the first time in like a decade last night.

 

 

Axl looks great. He sounds great. The band sounds great. And Axl looks totally happy and energetic, excited to be performing. WTF happened? So much energy and momentum and then, just, nothing...

That was a fun time, ... for me alot of it had to do with the leaks (IRS, Better, Catcher in the Rye, TWAT), those are some of the best songs Chin Dem had to offer.  VR was alot if fun. I also saw the Adlers Appetite 2007 AFD Anniversary at the Key Club with Duff and Izzy onstage with them, Awesome Night.

I was a fan of GNR back in 1987-93,  but the 2006 leaks got me back into GNR and i loved that lineup ... I think when DJ Ashba joined it went downhill fast. (On Xfinity cable when they play the London 02 Arena show Djs solos are cut right out the mix, you see him soloing but all you hear is the rest of the band lol , it's the weirdest thing)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, kanecrescente said:

100% was. Check Nightrain @ Download 2006 for a classic case of ‘gear jaw’ at the end

Gear jaw, don't you need to get a tetanus shot for that? I guess Axl stepped on a rusty nail or something onstage.

Edited by lame ass security

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

I wonder if VR didn't exist and if CD came out ~ '02*if the reunion would have kicked off between '06-'10. Man I would have loved that. 

I've always believed 2002 was the year to release CD-right after MTV awards, and the start of the North American tour.  The Philly fiasco, then nothing for 4 years hurt things-I thought 2006 was kind of the second chance-I remember Axl appearing at the Korn party, you thought something was coming soon....

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, nycgunner said:

And the video is gone....

Posting a YouTube link here is a death sentence 

 I know it's an unpopular idea, but  I personally think it may be in the best interests of GN'R youtubers if this fourm disabled video embedding from YouTube.   It's very obvious that people are watching this forum and taking down any YouTube links they can. I once had a video of mine posted on this forum and I preemptively took it down because I knew I would get a copyright strike on my account just for it being on this website.

Edited by History2010
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

People who report concert vids to YouTube:

Z7HeRxU.png

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The observation about Ron’s playing is on the money.

I don’t get the Ashba hate. His style imo was bridging Robin and Slash. He was ambitious and cocky and his promotion of his own work was grating but that’s also business savvy.

I met Ron & Ashba at the 2012 London gig. I don’t see any of these phantom edits. Ron was friendly. I also met him in Chicago in 2011 and his wife took photos for my wife and I. I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the year. I also met Duff in Dublin in November 2011, he was nice but scarred from years of substance abuse. I also was very excited to have met him, especially in a spontaneous way, rather than a meet n greet.

I think Pittman’s tackless emails ended his days in 2016. He was an Axl yes man until he was booted out and turned bitter. The healing power of money. That said his contribution to CD is fantastic.

Tommy seemed like a talented drunk.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first GnR show where Ask showed up was 06 in New Jersey... Man what an experience.  I remember there were issued getting set up and they didn't hkt stage until around midnight... Axl made a joke that we couldn't blame him this time.  Bach sang My Michelle with the band.

 

Axl was on fire that night.  Sounded awesome.   They played 4 Chinese tracks which my girlfriend and I proudly sung along with while people looked at us confused.  Robin is a great player and was really missed when he left GnR.

 

I think people forget how much younger Axl was back then.  There is a big difference between a man in his mid 40s and a man in his mid 50s.. He isn't going to have the same voice and energy he had 10 years ago.

 

The show in 06 was great but the show in 2016 was the best I ever saw tbh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

My first GnR show where Ask showed up was 06 in New Jersey... Man what an experience.  I remember there were issued getting set up and they didn't hkt stage until around midnight... Axl made a joke that we couldn't blame him this time.  Bach sang My Michelle with the band.

 

Axl was on fire that night.  Sounded awesome.   They played 4 Chinese tracks which my girlfriend and I proudly sung along with while people looked at us confused.  Robin is a great player and was really missed when he left GnR

Robin was such a bad ass in 2006. That NJ show you were at has one of my favorite solo spots of his ever. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

My only nitpick about the 2006-2007 lineup was Ron's guitar tone. The man really came into his own during the 2009-2014 run.

I still think the LA shows from December of 2006 are some of the best Guns N' Roses gigs. I would absolutely prefer them to anything from the last 2 years.

 

Couldnt agree more...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Robin was such a bad ass in 2006. That NJ show you were at has one of my favorite solo spots of his ever. 

Losing Robin was one of the hardest things for nuGNR in my opinion.  I though out of all the members he was the best fit along with Tommy and Fortus.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

The observation about Ron’s playing is on the money.

I don’t get the Ashba hate. His style imo was bridging Robin and Slash. He was ambitious and cocky and his promotion of his own work was grating but that’s also business savvy.

I met Ron & Ashba at the 2012 London gig. I don’t see any of these phantom edits. Ron was friendly. I also met him in Chicago in 2011 and his wife took photos for my wife and I. I was on cloud 9 for the rest of the year. I also met Duff in Dublin in November 2011, he was nice but scarred from years of substance abuse. I also was very excited to have met him, especially in a spontaneous way, rather than a meet n greet.

I think Pittman’s tackless emails ended his days in 2016. He was an Axl yes man until he was booted out and turned bitter. The healing power of money. That said his contribution to CD is fantastic.

Tommy seemed like a talented drunk.

 

Duff seemed scarred mentally or physically?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

Losing Robin was one of the hardest things for nuGNR in my opinion.  I though out of all the members he was the best fit along with Tommy and Fortus.

Agreed! But I really think that Tommy was just a Duff copycat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Gear jaw, don't you need to get a tetanus shot for that? I guess Axl stepped on a rusty nail or something onstage.

Gear jaw meaning coke jaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×