15 hours ago, Legendador said:

Agreed! But I really think that Tommy was just a Duff copycat.

Duff was inspired by Tommy because he was a huge Mats fan in the 80s.

Edited by Sosso
  • Like 4

On 2-1-2019 at 7:40 PM, Modano09 said:

I watched this show for the first time in like a decade last night.

Axl looks great. He sounds great. The band sounds great. And Axl looks totally happy and energetic, excited to be performing. WTF happened? So much energy and momentum and then, just, nothing...

In my opinion 2006 was the year new-GnR looked and sounded the very best. It's strange really. Because it seems like the real artistic urge and sense of reinvention was already over by then. That kind of got struck down at the end of 2002 and died in 2004 with Buckethead leaving. But in 2006 Axl was sounding much better and the band looked much better as well. There was still a sense of fire that seemed to be gone after Robin left. But no longer the sense of reinvention that seemed to be there in 2002, not that energy, sense of urgency and having something to prove. Really glad I got to see them in 2006. 

Edited by username
  • Like 3

Fantastic year for Axl and fans. This is also one of the best lineups imo. I joined the forum around that time, and that’s when I became a hardcore fan.

GnR at The Warfield was my first ever concert and one of Brain’s last shows. I was also in the pit for the Oakland show (where Lars showed up) right before that incredible finale of LA shows. They came on stage at 12:45 am! Very exciting for 15 year old me!

the weird, “eclectic” variety of openers at the Oakland show was jarring. Helmet, the Suicide Girls and Sebastian Bach. Helmet actually were great.

3 minutes ago, GNR 1991 said:

Fantastic year for Axl and fans. This is also one of the best lineups imo. I joined the forum around that time, and that’s when I became a hardcore fan.

GnR at The Warfield was my first ever concert and one of Brain’s last shows. I was also in the pit for the Oakland show (where Lars showed up) right before that incredible finale of LA shows. They came on stage at 12:45 am! Very exciting for 15 year old me!

the weird, “eclectic” variety of openers at the Oakland show was jarring. Helmet, the Suicide Girls and Sebastian Bach. Helmet actually were great.

The late 2006 and 2007 line up of the band is my absolute favorite GNR lineup of all time. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Duff seemed scarred mentally or physically?

4 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Duff seemed scarred mentally or physically?

Mentally like he was dulled inside from hard living, don’t get me wrong he was lovely to meet but I saw it in his eyes. I was over the moon to have met him though and to have met a real rock legend. 

3 minutes ago, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Mentally like he was dulled inside from hard living, don’t get me wrong he was lovely to meet but I saw it in his eyes. I was over the moon to have met him though and to have met a real rock legend. 

Gotcha, very cool.  He really is lucky to be alive, I don't think people realize how gravely ill he was.

• Like 1

On 1/2/2019 at 11:43 PM, DeperilsofrockNRollDekednz said:

Axl looked like an Irish chieftain as noted by some journalist in 2006

Robin was the Rasputin of rock in 2006 and his guitar playing was Neil Young on steroids. Ringing melody out  of every note. GNR’s loss is NIN’s gain. Saw him pay NOS Alive 2018. Truly phenomenal 

loved the variety of Dizzy’s solos too! Does anyone know the name of the solo that he played in Milan and again in Dublin?

That intro was their best as well. Real menacing:)

I think Dizzy was playing Ziggy Stardust in 2006 in his solo spot.Can't find any vids from Milan or Dublin though to be sure

2 hours ago, Politania said:

@ gear jaw. Izzy was performing with Axl at the time. Do you think that Izzy would agree to do a tour with Axl, knowing that he is taking drugs?

I have no idea what Axl was or wasn't doing, as I wasn't there, but Izzy only went to select shows. He wasn't touring with Guns N' Roses.

Saw all 4 of those shows at Hammerstein in 06. That week in NYC was one of the best times of my life! I remember the chatter about buckethead's replacement before the first show... me and my friend were wondering if bumblefoot could nail buckethead's TWAT solo... he did... it was magic. Axl sounded great... I finally lost my patience around midnight and yelled "Axl fucked us, he ain't showin up, AHHHHH!", before I could finish my sentence, those glorious opening chords of WTTJ rang out. Wow what a time!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sosso said:

Duff was inspired by Tommy because he was a huge Mats fan in the 80s.

Don't matter. What I mean is: you could see each old member through a lot of new members.

• Tommy: a punk rocker bass player (wow, that's new in teh GNR camp)
  • Fortus: I love the guy, but he screams Izzy Stradlin to me! But I love him!
  • Buckethead / Ashba: Remember when people thought tha Bucket was Slash in a Mask (RIR 2001)? / Ashba with the hat and cigarette.
  • Josh Freese: way better than Matt, but also a Drum Machine.
  • Gilby: also love the guy, but he resembled Izzy all around.