Appetite for Distortion - Ep. 98 - Doug Goldstein talks Axl, Addiction, and Answers YOUR Questions

NEW! Ep. 98 - Doug Goldstein talks Axl, Addiction, and Answers YOUR Questions

In the first episode of 2019, former Guns N' Roses manager Doug Goldstein makes his long-awaited appearance on the AFD Show. We break down Axl's Looney Tunes cameo, discuss his work for Matthews Hope Foundation, and Doug answers YOUR fan submitted questions.

Please follow, subscribe, and leave a review!

iHeart --> https://ihr.fm/2QtKyu5
Spreaker --> https://bit.ly/2FdxmbR
Stitcher --> https://bit.ly/2HnXGhC
SoundCloud --> https://bit.ly/2SC6Lbr
Google Play --> https://bit.ly/2RDhQf2

• Like 3

Brando I've been meaning to ask, has the whole strike thing prevented you from using iTunes? For the longest time I thought everything had been deleted, but it is possible finding the episodes on there, it just doesn't display the podcast itself. 

Tuning into this now, looking forward to it!

8 minutes ago, Dean said:

Brando I've been meaning to ask, has the whole strike thing prevented you from using iTunes? For the longest time I thought everything had been deleted, but it is possible finding the episodes on there, it just doesn't display the podcast itself. 

Tuning into this now, looking forward to it!

...and that's just it, you can find the episodes but the podcast doesn't display. iTunes' support isn't very good and I gave up. They needed the person who made the strike to rescind it, which wasn't going to happen do to the nature of the person. SoundCloud needed the same, but only removed 1 episode. These are "good" examples of how copyright strikes can be used as a weapon.

• Sad 2

Another good listen Brando!

Doug definitely seems like he’s in a good place, and seems like a pretty good guy. Seems like he left on good terms with Axl, he just had different priorities in life. 

Hoping he does put out a book, like he mentioned too. 

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, Chris 55 said:

I am a little confused as to how Gilby was "just a touring guitarist" when he was in the videos, played on TSI? etc. Also, I thought I read a quote somewhere saying that he didn't replace Izzy's parts on TSI? Not sure what that means. can anyone shed a light?

Big Gilby fan here- and I think what is meant is that though the band wanted to project Gilby as a valued, full-fledged member publicly- the reality internally was that he was viewed as a touring musician, a means to an end (keep the massive UYI-era going). Gotta remember in the early 90s w/o social media, wide access to the internet, etc. it was a lot easier for bands/managers to control the narrative on stuff like that.

As I remember it we were told by Doug & Co. that Matt, and Gilby were better technical players than Steven, and Izzy (true IMHO), and that they would therefore take the band to even greater heights (didn’t work out that way). Personally, still my favorite era of the band- but a lot of that has to do with UYI/TSI? overlapping directly with my high school years (90-94) I’m sure...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY

1 question from Europe.

I see this post now and would have loved to ask Doug a few questions, can we get a info regarding guests and questions few days before?

As someone who was a fan back during UYI days, I have to say that info on Gilby and Matt is not correct.  For

a) back in the day Axl gave interviews about them bein MEMBERS

b) Matt and Gilby appeared in videos and on the cd/vhs covers as 'members'

c) Matt and Gilby were VERY surprised to find out on Live ERA about being 'additional members', when during their stint they were labeled as members

d) Gilby and Matt are/were getting royalties from Tokyo, TSI, UYI (Matt), touring members get monthly checks while being employed and 0 when the contract expires.  (Remember, Gilby sued Ax for royalties regarding Tokyo videos once he was fired!).

Either Doug does not give correct info for whatever reason or he was less informed then half of us here.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shotsfired cro said:

1 question from Europe.

I see this post now and would have loved to ask Doug a few questions, can we get a info regarding guests and questions few days before?

As someone who was a fan back during UYI days, I have to say that info on Gilby and Matt is not correct.  For

a) back in the day Axl gave interviews about them bein MEMBERS

b) Matt and Gilby appeared in videos and on the cd/vhs covers as 'members'

c) Matt and Gilby were VERY surprised to find out on Live ERA about being 'additional members', when during their stint they were labeled as members

d) Gilby and Matt are/were getting royalties from Tokyo, TSI, UYI (Matt), touring members get monthly checks while being employed and 0 when the contract expires.  (Remember, Gilby sued Ax for royalties regarding Tokyo videos once he was fired!).

Either Doug does not give correct info for whatever reason or he was less informed then half of us here.

If you follow my podcast on FB or Twitter, that's where I gather fan questions. He should be on again, perhaps soon.

• Like 1

Great interviews as always @Gambit83. Will leave this quote as my impression of DG:

As regards Goldstein, Axl’s butt boy, if his lips are moving most likely he’s lying. Ask him about how he participated in the stealing of the name, copyrights and trade marks from the other band members. We all know who had their hands on the helm.

- Alan Niven

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RONIN said:

Great interviews as always @Gambit83. Will leave this quote as my impression of DG:

As regards Goldstein, Axl’s butt boy, if his lips are moving most likely he’s lying. Ask him about how he participated in the stealing of the name, copyrights and trade marks from the other band members. We all know who had their hands on the helm.

- Alan Niven

i like them both, so it's weird. Maybe episode 500 they'll both come on ;)

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

Goldstein definitely comes across as a “nice guy”, but there’s something about him that is slippery. It’s just a feeling I get, but I feel like it’s a big act and he’s actually a pretty angry and divisive guy... Maybe he is trying to make amends for mistakes he made in the 90’s, but for some reason I’m just not buying it. Regardless, I hope he finds some sort of peace and happiness. 

• Like 1

Alan Niven answers Doug Goldstein

Today, Alan Niven has responded to Doug’s claims and wrote:

“1/. The case was not settled on the steps of the court. It was settled immediately before the jury retired, after two weeks of hearings in front of the judge.

2/. Adler’s attorneys offered a settlement of $375,000 after approximately one week of the case being heard – they were concerned they were losing the case. Goldstein and Rose rejected the offer. Thereafter Goldstein and Rose took the stand. At the conclusion of the case I had lunch with the entire jury. They informed me they thought Goldstein was a phony and were amused at his crocodile tears on the stand. They disliked Axl intensely, who seemed medicated and thus cold … these two shifted the case into Adler’s favor.

3/. Goldstein was covered by a litigation insurance that also protected the band. I had put that in place. His claim of paying $500,000 is bullshit.

4/. Subsequent to Rose and Goldstein testimony in court the settlement became something in the order of $2,750,000, from the band and Goldstein. I was tapped for a relatively modest $175,000 – if there was any crucifixion it was of Rose and Goldstein. I further paid over $300,000 in legal fees, out of my own pocket, at the mercy of the actions of Rose and Goldstein.

5/. Yes indeed, that Steven received composing royalties was something of a gift – the policy was that while one was a member of the band one would benefit from all moneys being shared – one for all and all for one. If you left the band and were not a writer than the privilege ended. This method was used by lots of bands – the idea being to prevent arguments over money destroying band chemistry. Van Halen, for example, did the same. The Boomtown Rats famously lost the plot and fell apart because there was no composing royalty sharing and after the first publishing royalties arrived everyone wanted to be a writer. Sometimes its in everyone’s best interest to share.

No one enforced this on anyone in the band – it was accepted and understood well before Goldstein was employed as tour manager. It was their decision, including Axl. I considered that the band bent and made a gift to Axl that he received a larger share. If anyone actually deserved a larger share it was Izzy.

The fact that Steven sued and benefitted was not appropriate or just. He’d received composing monies he did not have a legal right to. What is more Doug had indeed kept him alive. According to Doug, Adler’s own attorney stated at deposition that Goldstein should have let him die of an overdose. We all worked hard to keep everyone alive. Slash even went turkey in my spare bedroom – I cleaned the vomit from his mouth and counted out the valium. The problem is that once you go to a jury it is generally understood the case becomes basically a beauty pageant – who does the jury like? They didn’t like Rose and Goldstein.

Anyhow, as regards hubris and greed, we need look no further than the fact Axl cut Izzy and Steven out of the recent tour and took the lions share of all income.

To have been betrayed by G Swine was bad enough … to have to hear or read of him now is anathema.

Regards

AN”

source: https://metalheadzone.com/ex-guns-n-roses-manager-alan-niven-responds-to-claims-against-himself/

• Like 1

Good interview again @Gambit83.  I have been listening since episode 2 and think you have been doing a great job with the podcast. I actually use to post them before you guys would get them up here, but then I quit, when I realized that you were posting them minutes later lol. Keep up the good work.

I am torn with Niven and Doug going back and forth. I think they just need to get together and talk it out. It just seems like GN'R had, and still has a lot of crazy shit going on with the people around them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/9/2019 at 1:32 AM, ludurigan said:

Alan Niven answers Doug Goldstein

Today, Alan Niven has responded to Doug’s claims and wrote:

“1/. The case was not settled on the steps of the court. It was settled immediately before the jury retired, after two weeks of hearings in front of the judge.

2/. Adler’s attorneys offered a settlement of $375,000 after approximately one week of the case being heard – they were concerned they were losing the case. Goldstein and Rose rejected the offer. Thereafter Goldstein and Rose took the stand. At the conclusion of the case I had lunch with the entire jury. They informed me they thought Goldstein was a phony and were amused at his crocodile tears on the stand. They disliked Axl intensely, who seemed medicated and thus cold … these two shifted the case into Adler’s favor.

3/. Goldstein was covered by a litigation insurance that also protected the band. I had put that in place. His claim of paying $500,000 is bullshit.

4/. Subsequent to Rose and Goldstein testimony in court the settlement became something in the order of $2,750,000, from the band and Goldstein. I was tapped for a relatively modest $175,000 – if there was any crucifixion it was of Rose and Goldstein. I further paid over $300,000 in legal fees, out of my own pocket, at the mercy of the actions of Rose and Goldstein.

5/. Yes indeed, that Steven received composing royalties was something of a gift – the policy was that while one was a member of the band one would benefit from all moneys being shared – one for all and all for one. If you left the band and were not a writer than the privilege ended. This method was used by lots of bands – the idea being to prevent arguments over money destroying band chemistry. Van Halen, for example, did the same. The Boomtown Rats famously lost the plot and fell apart because there was no composing royalty sharing and after the first publishing royalties arrived everyone wanted to be a writer. Sometimes its in everyone’s best interest to share.

No one enforced this on anyone in the band – it was accepted and understood well before Goldstein was employed as tour manager. It was their decision, including Axl. I considered that the band bent and made a gift to Axl that he received a larger share. If anyone actually deserved a larger share it was Izzy.

The fact that Steven sued and benefitted was not appropriate or just. He’d received composing monies he did not have a legal right to. What is more Doug had indeed kept him alive. According to Doug, Adler’s own attorney stated at deposition that Goldstein should have let him die of an overdose. We all worked hard to keep everyone alive. Slash even went turkey in my spare bedroom – I cleaned the vomit from his mouth and counted out the valium. The problem is that once you go to a jury it is generally understood the case becomes basically a beauty pageant – who does the jury like? They didn’t like Rose and Goldstein.

Anyhow, as regards hubris and greed, we need look no further than the fact Axl cut Izzy and Steven out of the recent tour and took the lions share of all income.

To have been betrayed by G Swine was bad enough … to have to hear or read of him now is anathema.

Regards

AN”

source: https://metalheadzone.com/ex-guns-n-roses-manager-alan-niven-responds-to-claims-against-himself/

Does anyone think Axl "seemed medicated" during his testimony?  It's been a long time since I watched it but I didn't get that impression.

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Does anyone think Axl "seemed medicated" during his testimony?  It's been a long time since I watched it but I didn't get that impression.

I didnt he looked lucid and  annoyed more than anything especially when doing his eye rolls sitting next to  the judge.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

I didnt he looked lucid and  annoyed more than anything especially when doing his eye rolls sitting next to  the judge.

Exactly, lol, he certainly did not want to be there. Btw, he should've been held in contempt of court for wearing that hideous lime green suit.                                                     

P.S.  I just rechecked the pics, it wasn't really lime green but it was still pretty bad.

Edited by lame ass security