First time CD tracks were played

1 hour ago, Bitchisback said:

It's really cool Axl has played every song off of Chinese Democracy.  Few bands play every song off of an album any more.  In fact just about every GnR song has been played live it seems.  Very cool.

Indeed it is dope, the songs usually come alive more when performed than when listening to the studio versions. Songs like If the World, Prostitute, Better and This I Love are waaaayy better live 😁😁😁

3 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

It's really cool Axl has played every song off of Chinese Democracy.  Few bands play every song off of an album any more.  In fact just about every GnR song has been played live it seems.  Very cool.

There's a handful of Illusion songs that were never played, like "Don't Damn Me."

As for CD, I was one of the lucky ones that saw 13 of the 14 songs played AT THE SAME SHOW.  Tokyo Dome, 2009.   Riad was the only one not played.

1 hour ago, rumandraisin said:

Rhiad is a very hard song to sing, Axl used to sound pretty rough in 2002 when they hit it a few times, so it's no wonder it never made an appearance live again. 

Okay how about the last time all the songs were played? I know Scraped made a brief setlist return late 2011, Rhiad on the North American leg a few times in late 2002. 

Setlist.fm has these stats too:

CD: Hawaii, December 8, 2018

Shackler's:  Paraguay, April 9, 2014

Better:  Hawaii, December 8, 2018

Street of Dreams:  Tokyo, December 18, 2012 (I was there for this too!)

If The World: Panama City, April 10, 2010

TWAT: LA Forum, November 29, 2017

Catcher: LA Forum, November 29, 2017

Scraped:  Massachusetts, November 25, 2011

Riad:  Michigan, November 21, 2002

Sorry:  Belgium, June 21, 2018

IRS:  Spain, October 23, 2010

Madagascar:  Hawaii, December 8, 2018

This I Love:  Malaysia, November 14, 2018

Prostitute:  LA Forum, November 29, 2017

So you can see that Riad was the first one phased out, being the only song never performed after the album's release.  Prostitute was the rarest for a very long time, until he pulled it back into the setlist.  Scraped is pretty rare now, and remains one of the CD songs never played by the NITL line up.  Several of the songs had their last performance at the Forum show and would not reappear in the 2018 setlist.  This I Love was finally dropped before the last few shows.  It's interesting that Street of Dreams never made the NITL setlist after being a staple at almost every show from 2002-2012.

The cool thing about all the live debuts is that they're recorded.  Some of the recordings sound like shit, but you can go back and listen to the first time each of the CD songs was played.  I can't vouch for whether or not every "final" performance was recorded though.  Some of the songs were phased out fairly early, like Scraped, IRS, and If the World.

It's a shame Scraped got scraped....I particularly liked the live drum intro.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UsedYourIllusion said:

If you would have said to me in 2015, 

"Hey, Slash and Duff will teammup with Axl again, and Coma will be played more on the accompanying tour than the songs Pretty Tied Up, Perfect Crime and the Garden have been ever played combined"

I would have said you're crazy

It's mind blowing that Coma has been played more than Yesterdays!

On ‎08‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 3:38 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

I've never been able to find a video of it (security was ridiculously strict about filming that night, apparently) but it was Calgary 2010, the 2nd show of the Canadian tour.

I was at that show too and holy man the security was ridiculous. I moved seats a ton trying to get video and getting bugged by the biggest nerd of a security guard. I have one video (can't remember which song) and you can hear him "you can't be doing that" truly wanted to punch him

13 minutes ago, tkarmy said:

I was at that show too and holy man the security was ridiculous. I moved seats a ton trying to get video and getting bugged by the biggest nerd of a security guard. I have one video (can't remember which song) and you can hear him "you can't be doing that" truly wanted to punch him

That's annoying as hell... you should've yelled at security "You're all little people on a power trip!" :lol:

On 08/01/2019 at 5:39 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

The first time I saw them play Better was in 2010. During the bridge part, Axl ripped out his monitors, flipped out at his sound guy and went over to yell at him, then belted out the "so full of anger..." lines with incredible intensity. (Probably not having his IEM's in is the reason he screamed that part so intensely, but it was very 'classic Axl' anyway)

The Canadian run in 2010 was awesome. Getting to hear 'There Was A Time' in Hamilton was one of my concert moments.

On 2019-01-09 at 11:12 AM, estrangedtwat said:

It's a shame Scraped got scraped....I particularly liked the live drum intro.

It is a shame If the World and IRS got phased out so soon. 

I think it is really cool that he has played all of it, and that they have played so many of the songs during the latest tour. I think it is a shame that the CD tour in 2010 didn't lean more on the CD-material.  It was such a strong album that I think he could have built the set around it instead of sprinkled the usual set with CD-songs. And regarding the NITL-tour I would have liked to see more CD-songs per show. They played quite a lot of them over the tour, but not that many per show. :(

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thorbear said:

It is a shame If the World and IRS got phased out so soon. 

I think it is really cool that he has played all of it, and that they have played so many of the songs during the latest tour. I think it is a shame that the CD tour in 2010 didn't lean more on the CD-material.  It was such a strong album that I think he could have built the set around it instead of sprinkled the usual set with CD-songs. And regarding the NITL-tour I would have liked to see more CD-songs per show. They played quite a lot of them over the tour, but not that many per show. :(

ITW was awesome live

• Like 1

I was there for the first Hammerstein show. Sometimes I wish Better, IRS and TWAT hadn't leaked before then because it would have been awesome to hear those songs for the first time in a live concert setting. When I heard the Better demo I thought the intro was synth and I was very surprised to see Robin play it on guitar.

On 2019-01-11 at 12:16 AM, Gordon Comstock said:

I really think Asia 2009 through South America 2010 was the peak of the CD tour... varied sets, long shows, incredible vocals, even some surprise acoustic shows...

yeah, that was a great run. I was so looking forward to seeing them at Sweden Rock Festival, and then they dropped If the World, did not play Shackler's or Cathcer, it was really cold, windy and rainy, and they came on really late. It was still good show (especially Madagascar) but not as good as the one I was looking forward to. 

• Like 1

First time I heard CD tracks I was pumped and that includes the leaked versions that leaked quite some time before November 2008 release, if you put a timeline between then & now without new music its quite sad really. I'm not sure many other big active bands operate like Guns in that way. Lineup changes aside.