Have there been any connections to GNR and Woodstock 50 yet?

12 minutes ago, EvanG said:

There are great festivals all around the world. This year the Pinkpop festival in my country is celebrating its 50th anniversary, making it the oldest and longest running festival in the world. And don't forget all the festivals in Belgium and Germany, just to name a few.

So true, it really stands out that there is a huge annual festival celebrating 50 years and then Woodstock is celebrating its 50th anniversary since the first of 3 events. 

The guy who created the first Woodstock said he'd never do it again. He died shortly before Woodstock 94 was put in motion. Ive read/watched Slash commenting that the band 'didnt like that business move' as the excuse for why Guns didnt participate (though Slash 'wanted to check it out').

Murican Baby Boomers fetishizing their collective youth is a driving force in American commerce and culture to this day. Toss in the Millennial retro fad and Gen X nostalgia tripping. We all just wanna watch Goonies on VHS and forget all about the state of affairs at home and abroad. :lol:

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, nzgnr said:

i went to Coachella just to watch GNR from Perth and i must say that i was told it sells out fast and its expensive and its the best music festival that America has to offer these days.id have to say its a pretty well set up and run festival compared to what Australia has or what we used to have i should say but id have to say i felt like a true bogan amongst all the flower power hippy chicks and the hey look how ripped my abs are but i miss leg day at the gym wankers i truly hope they don't make the Woodstock 50th like that and have new age hipster shit for the smaller acts during the day and the massive headliner for the night they have to keep it 100% rock and roll 

I’d rather be a ute surfing Bogan, I don’t trust people with perfect teeth and automatic cars.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Woodstock is like the epitome of the poisoned chalice and in 2019 I imagine it'll be a load of corporate bollocks.  I mean standing about getting trench-foot watching Ed Sheeran sitting on a stool playing his Martin dreadnought looking like a fat ginger student for a bunch of fuckin' Coachella rich kids, all in tribute to a Jimi Hendrix show, the man who went twos up on a bottle of Ripple with Mitch Mitchell, played a fuckin' blinder then no doubt went off to his hotel to have a bunch of prozzies take turns sitting on his face while he was whizzin' off of acid, not much of a comparison eh?

Bravo. 

So... We finally see the end of NITL, the tour that we all whinged and moaned to end and NOW you want them to start touring again? They won't come back for a single show.

Let's keep the laser focus on new GNR music, nothing else will do in my opinion.  

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

So... We finally see the end of NITL, the tour that we all whinged and moaned to end and NOW you want them to start touring again? They won't come back for a single show.

Let's keep the laser focus on new GNR music, nothing else will do in my opinion.  

This. This. So much this. 

There is absolutely NO need for another tour without no music to support it. 

• Like 1

After the last Woodstock in what 99 was a fiasco. I doubt another Woodstock could compare to the 1969 original one. People were more mellow then and even with the rain and millions of people showing up, no violence happened. That is very rare and I doubt it would be the same way again.

Woodstock was very rare and I doubt it can ever be replicated again.

My mom was a teen then. She didn't attend Woodstock, but did see the movie in the theatre. It was special for it's time and the musicians who were there were all one of a kind too. I doubt it could be done again in the same way.

I don’t think a Woodstock 2019 could muster up a great line up of new, rock acts. It would have to be a lot of older rock bands since few new bands have a great tour following. 

My dream line up would be GNR (of course), Foo Fighters, Pearl Jam, U2, Aerosmith, Oasis reunion (or the Gallaghers solo), Springsteen, Strokes, Metallica, Chili Peppers, Lenny Kravitz, Radiohead, NIN, Coldplay, Muse, Rolling Stones, Neil Young - sure I am missing someone.  That would be an epic rock festival that would on a similar plane as the prior ones.

It will probably lean more on the Taylor Swifts, Travis Scotts, and Ed Sheehan (sp?) of the world since they are frankly more relevant to the average younger music listener 

Edited by nycgunner

7 hours ago, soon said:

So true, it really stands out that there is a huge annual festival celebrating 50 years and then Woodstock is celebrating its 50th anniversary since the first of 3 events. 

The guy who created the first Woodstock said he'd never do it again. He died shortly before Woodstock 94 was put in motion. Ive read/watched Slash commenting that the band 'didnt like that business move' as the excuse for why Guns didnt participate (though Slash 'wanted to check it out').

Murican Baby Boomers fetishizing their collective youth is a driving force in American commerce and culture to this day. Toss in the Millennial retro fad and Gen X nostalgia tripping. We all just wanna watch Goonies on VHS and forget all about the state of affairs at home and abroad. :lol:

Josh Brolin was great in The Goonies.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, allwaystired said:

Who gives a shit though? It's a festival designed to make a lot of people a lot of money - why the passionate defence?

It's no more or less corporate than any music festival, all of which absolutely aren't worth giving a fuck about or showing any loyalty to. The days of them being "gatherings of like minded folk" are long gone, as have the days have them being anything more than a selection of the same bands who perform everywhere performing the same routines in front of a bunch of rich people they can hardly see from the stage. There's nothing exciting or ground breaking about any of them - they're highly priced events designed at squeezing the sort of uber-casual music 'fan' that goes to one event a year, who largely don't even give a fuck who's on the lineup. They're about as alternative or challenging as a trip to Walmart these days. 

I'm not knocking Woodstock, as it'll probably just be the same as all the other festivals - I just can't understand why anyone would care enough to defend it against people who want to laugh at it? 

the reason I even remotely answered like that was because look at the original question compared to the discussion that came of it.

My concerns are not with who is making money, but if this band may be in the running to play at this festival.Which is a concrete fact is happening.

All this money talk seems to have stemmed from a comedic response in regards to the Woodstock name being tarnished. 

Which is what I replied too. 

You're opinion on not caring about particular festivals is objective, and I agree with it to some extent. Except, on the one hand, I find the festivals that I DO pick and choose to go to, I have more fun than not even if there is a massive TOYOTA logo shoved square in my face. 

Edited by KeyserSoze

1 hour ago, 80309561 said:

There was no need for NITL Tour Without New Music Either

Nope, that NITL tour solidified the band again personally and in the eyes of millions of people around the world. While the forums were bored there was lots, and lots who enjoyed what those guys were doing. So there was certainly a huge demand and a need for the NITL tour. 

New music on top of a reunion tour really wouldn't have made sense... Outside of maybe a song being premiered a few months in. The focus and purpose was to rebuild the brand, that has been done. Now is the time for  GNR to release new music.

Had GNR hit the studio before a single show was played it is really easy to imagine things blowing up. From what Slash has said in interviews, it looks like up to those first gigs they we're still feeling out the situation, a record would have been a huge undertaking and too risky.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 80309561 said:

I think Slash and Duff being back in the band and delivering what GNR fans have wanted since 1993 is good cause for a tour

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Creed said:

the festival itself was huge and it had a cool vibe, but musically it only had Joe Cocker who had a genius moment IMO.

Jimi Hendrix was outstanding on tape, but really annoying live because he improvised too much. 

Um.... are you saying Hendrix's improvs are annoying??? 

I mean, the man did have a rough patch in late 69, but that is certainly not the general consensus of his legacy...

and double wait a minute, are you saying Joe Cocker was the only draw to the original woodstock, when Joe was sitting in the company of a young and hungry Dead, Who, CCR, and Jefferson Airplane? Okay...

Edited by KeyserSoze

1 hour ago, KeyserSoze said:

Um.... are you saying Hendrix's improvs are annoying??? 

I mean, the man did have a rough patch in late 69, but that is certainly not the general consensus of his legacy...

and double wait a minute, are you saying Joe Cocker was the only draw to the original woodstock, when Joe was sitting in the company of a young and hungry Dead, Who, CCR, and Jefferson Airplane? Okay...

Sly and the Family Stone were great at Woodstock.  You could literally see the steam coming off of Sly Stone's hair, it was magical.

I don't think they should do it.

This Woodstock 2019 is nothing but a cash-grab for Ticketmaster, it's going to be the complete opposite of what the original festival was about. Both Woodstock '94 and '99 were forgettable imitations. Not to mention music has gotten worse with every passing year/month/week/day/hour, so it would be silly for a band with the stature of Guns N' Roses to perform at the same festival as a number of autotune-dependent hacks who never picked up an instrument in their pathetic lives.

3 hours ago, 80309561 said:

Yeah, but remember that there were initially only 3-5 shows planned (according to various band members). The public interest and demand is what convinced them to do a full-fledged worldwide tour. There weren't any plans for new music when that whole thing got started, it was just basically Axl, Slash, and Duff saying "Hey, we're friends again, let's give the fans what they've been asking for".