Historic Release Of the Use Your Illusion Records

11 hours ago, thunderram said:

I got mine at a midnight sale at a local Warehouse Records in a suburb of Sacramento. Tower Records was my usual spot, but for some reason which I can't recall, I ended up at Warehouse which was less than a mile away. I bought both versions that night and still have the original CD's and cardboard containers (opened of course). I also remember it being my younger sisters 17th b-day.

I so vividly remember looking forward to the release all Summer long -- as it had been pushed back a couple of times. From radio play and MTV, I knew of LALD, YCBM, and Civil War. And I saw them on tour that July so I had heard numerous other new tunes but couldn't recall titles for many of them. I believe it was Circus Magazine that had a rumored track listing leading up to the release. 

I immediately inserted UYI1 into my friends CD player on the ride home and skipped straight to LALD -- which had been stuck in my head since the live MTV performance 12 days earlier. I just couldn't wait to hear the studio version. That, and Don't Cry were my immediate favorites.

I do really miss the anticipation of midnight releases back in those days. And none were more special than on 09/17/1991 for me. Coincidentally, I began working for a local music chain a couple years later in 1993 and we still had the occasional midnight release. One that comes to mind was for Pink Floyd's Division Bell. Pearl Jam's Vitalogy was another. But none of them were ever the same as the Illusions.

I saw them that July also, an innocuous little show they did in St. Louis.  Pretty boring, nothing much happened.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Ok, I'm a bit confused, I think you might have your Tom Cruise movie soundtracks mixed up.😊 I'm pretty sure Kokomo was on the Cocktail soundtrack and KOHD was on Days of Thunder.

You are right KOHD was in soundtrack of Days of Thunder.

17 hours ago, thunderram said:

I got mine at a midnight sale at a local Warehouse Records in a suburb of Sacramento. Tower Records was my usual spot, but for some reason which I can't recall, I ended up at Warehouse which was less than a mile away. I bought both versions that night and still have the original CD's and cardboard containers (opened of course). I also remember it being my younger sisters 17th b-day.

I so vividly remember looking forward to the release all Summer long -- as it had been pushed back a couple of times. From radio play and MTV, I knew of LALD, YCBM, and Civil War. And I saw them on tour that July so I had heard numerous other new tunes but couldn't recall titles for many of them. I believe it was Circus Magazine that had a rumored track listing leading up to the release. 

I immediately inserted UYI1 into my friends CD player on the ride home and skipped straight to LALD -- which had been stuck in my head since the live MTV performance 12 days earlier. I just couldn't wait to hear the studio version. That, and Don't Cry were my immediate favorites.

I do really miss the anticipation of midnight releases back in those days. And none were more special than on 09/17/1991 for me. Coincidentally, I began working for a local music chain a couple years later in 1993 and we still had the occasional midnight release. One that comes to mind was for Pink Floyd's Division Bell. Pearl Jam's Vitalogy was another. But none of them were ever the same as the Illusions.

Oh man! I'm quite a bit younger than you, but I used to love Tower Records and Books on Broadway and Watt respectively. Drive past Country Club every day en route home!

• GNFNR 1

6 hours ago, lame ass security said:

Ok, I'm a bit confused, I think you might have your Tom Cruise movie soundtracks mixed up.😊 I'm pretty sure Kokomo was on the Cocktail soundtrack and KOHD was on Days of Thunder.

Yep, you're right, I bought her both soundtracks, one had kokomo one had a song from Cher.  I didn't even remember making this post until I had notifications and reread it.  I have been sick since 3 days after Christmas, but this past week was the first time I had a fever, and I have had a fever every day of the week up until today.  You weren't confused, I was the literal definition of confused.   I did a few nonsensical things last night, luckily, this was the most embarrassing.

9 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Yep, you're right, I bought her both soundtracks, one had kokomo one had a song from Cher.  I didn't even remember making this post until I had notifications and reread it.  I have been sick since 3 days after Christmas, but this past week was the first time I had a fever, and I have had a fever every day of the week up until today.  You weren't confused, I was the literal definition of confused.   I did a few nonsensical things last night, luckily, this was the most embarrassing.

Hey man, don't worry about, no biggie.  Hope you're feeling better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

Yup, they definitely had a sweet smell. The clear cassettes did anyway. 

Yes, it was a sweet smell, I just never thought of it as strawberries.

9 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

Hey man, don't worry about, no biggie.  Hope you're feeling better.

Thanks man.  Today is my first day without a fever since Saturday.  I really should have gone to the doctor.  I think I'm out of the woods, but we'll see, at the very least I was/am dehydrated.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, DeadSlash said:

Yes, it was a sweet smell, I just never thought of it as strawberries.

Thanks man.  Today is my first day without a fever since Saturday.  I really should have gone to the doctor.  I think I'm out of the woods, but we'll see, at the very least I was/am dehydrated.

Pedialyte is good for dehydration, I know it sounds weird but it works.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kever20 said:

Oh man! I'm quite a bit younger than you, but I used to love Tower Records and Books on Broadway and Watt respectively. Drive past Country Club every day en route home!

Were you aware that the Country Club location was the very first Tower Records? And that Metallica played a 30-min set in that parking lot in 1996?? Fun facts.

But that wasn't the location I used to frequent. I lived near Citrus Heights at the time so it was the one right next to Birdcage Walk and across from Sunrise Mall.

For the GN'R midnight release, for some reason, I ended up at Warehouse just a few blocks up Sunrise before Madison Ave. I don't recall the reason exactly, but I'm guessing the line at Tower was much longer.

That Tower Records also had a Ticketmaster within it and back during pre-internet days the lines usually wrapped around the building a few times when big shows went on sale. Believe it or not, standing in line was often better than trying to call in via phone -- which was always busy. I actually couldn't get tix for the Sacramento show and had to opt for Shoreline Amphitheater, which had 2 shows on back-to-back nights.

Shoreline was one of few venues in which they performed 'Locomotive'. IIRC, they only played it live like 3 times EVER. Of course, as fate would have it (of the back2back shows), I was at the show when they didn't perform it. :shrugs:

Sorry to get off topic, but thought you might find that interesting.

Edited by thunderram
  • GNFNR 1

14 minutes ago, thunderram said:

Were you aware that the Country Club location was the very first Tower Records? And that Metallica played a 30-min set in that parking lot in 1996?? Fun facts.

But that wasn't the location I used to frequent. I lived near Citrus Heights at the time so it was the one right next to Birdcage Walk and across from Sunrise Mall.

For the GN'R midnight release, for some reason, I ended up at Warehouse just a few blocks up Sunrise before Madison Ave. I don't recall the reason exactly, but I'm guessing the line at Tower was much longer.

That Tower Records also had a Ticketmaster within it and back during pre-internet days the lines usually wrapped around the building a few times when big shows went on sale. Believe it or not, standing in line was often better than trying to call in via phone -- which was always busy. I actually couldn't get tix for the Sacramento show and had to opt for Shoreline Amphitheater, which had 2 shows on back-to-back nights.

Shoreline was one of few venues in which they performed 'Locomotive'. IIRC, they only played it live like 3 times EVER. Of course, as fate would have it (of the back2back shows), I was at the show when they didn't perform it. :shrugs:

I do. Its good to hear how things were pre internet days.

• Like 2

I remember that day well. I was a poor college kid, and it just wasn’t in my budget to buy any cd’s during the school year. But my roommate had money, and I’ll never forget coming back to my room after class and him sitting at his desk with a big grin. “Look what I got us buddy!!!” he said, and held up fresh unopened cd’s, both I and II... fuck yeah!!! He had walked downtown to the record store that morning and picked them up. We put them in his top of the line surround sound stereo (we lived in a frat house), cranked that fucker to 11, packed up the bong and had ourselves a listen. What a great fuckin day.

• GNFNR 1

5 hours ago, thunderram said:

Yes indeed! I remember the Birdcage one as well- still go to the Dimple Records over there fairly frequently! I think they were all still open into my early teen years.

Cool stories! Thanks for sharing with another Sacramento native!

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That has absolutely zero to with this thread. 

Ill add that it probably doesnt add those things to the top of ones resume. We may as well start interviewing  the paper boy who does the rounds around any band members neighbourhood.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

Ill add that it probably doesnt add those things to the top of ones resume. We may as well start interviewing  the paper boy who does the rounds around any band members neighbourhood.

lol post of the day right there!!  I was thinking along those lines but didn't want to say anything.

10 minutes ago, The Holographic Universe said:

That’s why you are named lame ass security?

Yes it is😊.  Funny enough, I didn't really catch him saying it during the concert.  Everything was so chaotic and jumbled in real time.  It wasn't until I saw the footage of the show and the "lame ass security" comment.  The thing I remember is the ungodly sound of the mic hitting the stage when Axl slammed it down. 

• Like 1